Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (rmdanie)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-13-2007, 11:43 PM Reply   
I am a first year wakeboarder. This summer I could only manage to learn the surface tricks, w2w, and some switch and toeside air.

I just winterized my boat last week and I am already looking for ways to be better prepared for next year.

What type of weightlifting exercises can I do to help increase my wakeboarding the most. I know I need to strengthen my quads and arms. I noticed that after a few jumps on my sets this year, I would get lazy and my arms would stay up and my knees would bend upon hitting the wake.

Can you guys recommend the exact muscle groups that need to be the strongest to get more air next summer?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-14-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
core, shoulders, and arms.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-14-2007, 7:04 AM Reply   
Add squats to your workout. It is the best muscle building exercise of all time. Plus keep up your cardio during the off season too.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-14-2007, 7:16 AM Reply   
total body work outs. thats the only way to go for a sport like this (imo). and i'd start from the ground up. squats and other compound lower body movements will not only give you explosiveness in the legs but it will also strengthen your core and lower back if done correctly. then move upwards towards the chest arms and back on the rest of the days your working out.
Old     (rkitz44)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-14-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
Don't sacrafice any specific area stay balanced. Remember the first time you boarded for any length? You were sore everywhere. When you train your back you can mimic movements with different cable machines. You can even attach a wakeboard handle to some. Previous posters are right on with the importance of core strength. Squats and lunges for leg explosion. Invest in an Indo board also. You'd be surprised how good of work out that is. Don't do what I did last year and get fat during the winter. LOL!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-14-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
I don't change my work out routine at all during the off season...but my off season only last a month!
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-14-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
Boxing/Martial Arts is very good for core strength and all round conditioning. If you learn to punch properly the power comes from the ground (you throw your hips first) up through your body and is transferred to your fist, sort of like how line tension is transferred through your body to create Pop on the wake. We don't really have an off season here either though, it just gets pretty cold for the brave ones.
Old    00wakesetter            11-14-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
Jump on a trampoline alot.
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-14-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
Core exercises would be a good start. I also think anything that strengthens the muscles around the knees (and probably shoulders) would help.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-14-2007, 3:22 PM Reply   
I am doing full body workouts, some jump rope, cardio(so boring), and some tramp work. Lastly, I am going to add some agility drills for someting different.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-14-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
as said above, work everything.
Old     (ryanjones)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-15-2007, 7:36 AM Reply   
Ryan,
I would recommend a bowflex. Besides being able work your entire body out, you can build those the muscles that you use on the water when you ride.
Old     (whirli_7)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-15-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
Become a machine, Cardio, Weights, hit it all. I'm always working out, trying to rehab, or build up strength so I don't get hurt. Last year I waited untill feb to be able to snowmobile, then dislocated my shoulder 10 miles into my first ride,ha.