Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-02-2006, 10:22 PM Reply   
The local news just said that because of the high water levels, and floating debre, Folsom lake is turning the entire lake into a 5 mph zone. It sounds like they won't reopen it until they feel it is safe.
Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       05-04-2006, 7:37 AM Reply   
Yes. The following is from the State Parks website

MAY 1, 2006--Due to extreme amounts of floating debris, the vessel speed limit on Folsom Lake has again been reduced to 5 miles per hour. The winter storms have deposited large amounts of trees, logs and other floating debris into Folsom Lake causing navigational hazards. We recommend that all boaters use extreme caution while operating on the lake. Many logs are partially submerged and cannot be seen from the surface of the lake.

This temporary speed limit will be lifted once normal conditions return to the lake.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=500
Old     (sharkb8)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-04-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
I saw the news report last night. They said it was so bad, FEMA was being called in to take over the cleanup efforts which will take approx. 4-6 weeks. :-(
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-04-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
I like how they are trying to protect us from ourselves. It should be boat at your own risk. I'm sure they're just worried about somebody getting hurt and suing the state. Seems that within the U.S. there have been enough frivalous lawsuits to really ruin it for the rest of us.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old    justwakein            05-04-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
Does anyone know where I can find more information on this, because that totally sucks.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-04-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
Justin.

Check the link / info posted in the 2cnd post.

MAY 1, 2006--Due to extreme amounts of floating debris, the vessel speed limit on Folsom Lake has again been reduced to 5 miles per hour. The winter storms have deposited large amounts of trees, logs and other floating debris into Folsom Lake causing navigational hazards. We recommend that all boaters use extreme caution while operating on the lake. Many logs are partially submerged and cannot be seen from the surface of the lake.

This temporary speed limit will be lifted once normal conditions return to the lake.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=500

Lzy
Old    justwakein            05-04-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
Thanks I visited that link before but was just wondering if anyone had any other further details, like when the lake would no longer be a 5 mph zone etc

thanks
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-04-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
J,

No worries bro, with the amount of snowpack still to melt & the current situation I could see it last up close till Memorial Day weekend...

Always got the Delta if ur not afraid of sharks and killer seals (j/k)

Lzy
Old     (oldcentury76)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-04-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
don't forget the life threating bacteria!!
Old    justwakein            05-04-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
ahhh I cant wait till memorial day weekend!!!

Maybe i will just try to hit up the delta, and i wakeboard with sharks all day, but i might have to think twice about the seals....
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-04-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
Talked To Rayn Frasier from Launch Wakeboard last night, he went to the ramp to launch and they turned him away, it's killing his bus. Finally phone is ringing, people wanting to go out. So he took group to Clemintine tuesday but fuel cost him so much he didnt make hardly anything.
Rick
Old    justwakein            05-08-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
I hear they are trying to up the speed zone by memorial day weekend yes?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-08-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
they always do a knee jerk reaction, never using input from people who actually use the lake. I am so glad I don't have to put up with that s--- anymore. The people who run Folsom have their head so far up thier arse the nemo party wouldn't have any luck!
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-08-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
Went to lake today to get info. They said a month so it will be open Memorial Day. I think once the lake reaches its high level and starts down the debris will stay on the shore and they will reopen the lake.