Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-23-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
Age and abuse has left me with two bum shoulders. This makes it difficult for me to pull my self into the rope handle while passing the handle for spins. On the trampoline, no problems, but behind the boat I can not pull myself into the boat with one hand.

I see that good riders can maintain rope tension to achieve pop, but once up in the air can generate significant rope slack for handle passes. Are they just pulling themselves into the rope just after the board releases the wake? I am having a hard time keeping good rope tension to achieve the pop I want but still getting enough release of tension in the air to make handle passes easier. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-23-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
For me I come in on edge and flaten out at the wake then pop. Doing this you have slack in the line weather you spin or not. Also good for a handle spin to snatch out of the air. People tell me I get more air when I am doing a 3 rather than just a normal wake jump with a grab or what ever.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-23-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
a lot of people are now adding a five foot section of the stretchy ski rope to their lines. putting it in between two normal sections of the non stretch line. perhaps this would help create a little less line tension when going for the handle pass?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-23-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
Its all about advancing yourself towards to handle boat. This is what breaks line tension so you can spin. Unfortunatley this does require you to pull on the handle very hard to advance yourself toward the handle. You dont need to pull with one hand to advance yourself toward the boat. You can doing with two hands, in fact I would suggest it.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-23-2009, 11:58 AM Reply   
train (ttrigo)

Train you cannot be serious. Stretchy line wakeboarding do not mix.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-23-2009, 11:58 AM Reply   
Andy... you drunk man? Re-read what you just wrote.

LOL!!
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-23-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
Referring to the first post.

Just bustin BTW :-)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-23-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
The stretchy ski rope is not for reducing line tension when jumping or spinning. The idea behind that is for folks that frequently land with their arms straight, they will develop a pain similar to tennis elbow. The idea of the stretch section is that this will eliminate the strain caused by straight armed landings with a rope that has zero stretch.

Basically you need to do what Nick said, to max pop and decrease tension you really need to load and release. To make it extra cool, come in on a stronger edge than normal wake to wake, really give it some edge. As you approach flatten off and make sure your feet are under you to max your pop and as you ride up the wake really emphasize the kick off the top. This will make you go big so have fun with it!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-23-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
Jet Lag central! Usually I can make perfect sense we discussing advancing your body towards the boat. Today I am just off my game!

WOW-

Just towards handle boat! Whats so confusing about that.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-23-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
LOL... we all knew what you meant and everyone knows u know ur shiz... I usually never bag on peoples grammar but:

"advancing yourself towards to handle boat" and
"you can doing with two hands, in fact I would suggest it."

had me laughing out loud in my cube at work!!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-23-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
thanks Heavy. I was just assuming it had to do with giving a little less tension for handle passes.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-23-2009, 12:48 PM Reply   
Luker,

No worries Bro!
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-23-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
Train, I actually had to place 5 feet of ski rope and pad my handle last year to reduce my shoulder pain. My left shoulder was getting killed on both HS and TS back rolls.

I know I sacrifice some line tension and pop with the ski rope section. But, it was either ride much less, or go with a little stretch and less pop. I can still get plenty of air for my small bag of tricks and I mostly work wake to wake any ways. Just another damn adjustment that the cruelty of age has forced me to accept. If you have painful elbows or shoulders, the ski rope section does make a difference.

Thank you everyone for the advice. Gives me something to practice for the next month.