Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (topside_marine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-26-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
Over the past few years I have accumulated several propellers from customers not picking them up after repair. My question to Wakeworld members is what is a reasonable period of time to hold on to them? Do you think a year is long enough? My only option is to store them or sell them at some point. All of these customers have been notified at least 3 times, and they have not picked up. All inputs would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-26-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
Do you not have a sign up stating how long you will keep stuff like that?

I would say after a year, its' time to chunk them or sell them.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-26-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
90 days max then sell them.

Plenty of people on here would be interested in acquiring them I'm sure.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-26-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
certified letter - 6 months
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-26-2009, 11:47 AM Reply   
I would start having them sign something to the affect that if they do not pick them up after said days then they become property of Topside Marine. Now the ones you have currently I'd place on more call or letter notifying them they have 1 week from date of receipt to pick them up or their yours. I'd bet a few of them don't even have boats anymore.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-26-2009, 12:04 PM Reply   
I'd say give the customers a call and ask what they want you to do with them. Maybe offer to ship them to their home address via ups slow rate. But let them know you need to move on. Unless these are a major storage issue for you I'd try to go the extra customer service step. Dont take the chance of ticking off a customer over a little shelf space. You show a lot of positive attitude by just your asking rather than taking the hard line.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-26-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
I'd start by making new customers sign something saying they have 6 months or whatever. As for the ones you have I'd call them and tell them that its there last chance to pick up there prop if they no show again then they're yours.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-26-2009, 12:34 PM Reply   
I think you need to contact them one more time. If they pre-paid to have the props repaired and do not owe you anything, I would be tempted to keep them around. If they owe you money on the prop repairs, then I would be more tempted to sell them after a last chance call/letter.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-26-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
Six months at most if they are not paid for. If the repair is prepaid I think a year is better.
You should make a pretty good effort to see that the owner is contacted.
The only hard part is that it might be in the next season before anyone notices that the spare prop is not around.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-26-2009, 12:52 PM Reply   
Your thread is bringing up faint memories from law class in college. I believe when you take property for the benefit of others, as in taking possession of their propeller for fixing, it is called a bailment. You have a fiduciary duty to protect their property while it's in your possession (i.e. you can't leave it out on the sidewalk). There are uniform commercial code and/or state laws governing bailment that you can look up (how long until it's your property). You might want to check these for your existing propellers before discarding or selling (instead of going by the consensus opinion of WakeWorld discussion board members - no disrespect intended).

I'm certain that you can over-ride these laws with a repair contract that they sign when initially dropping off property to be repaired (if they don't pick it up within 6 months then it's your property). But, this will only help going forward.

There must be some WakeWorld lawyers out there who can comment on property law.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-26-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
If they owe you for the work, then you can do whatever you want.

If not, then you need to disclose/inform them of your intent. 180 days is more than enough IMO.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-26-2009, 2:43 PM Reply   
so ya if you have a 3-blade 13 x 11 regular rotation for a older Supra give me a shout! :-)
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-26-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
^^^buzzards.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-26-2009, 3:34 PM Reply   
30 days is good, 60 better & 90 days is more than enough! The auto industry gives you 30-60 as a standard if i remember correctly. You must post a sign stating such in plain sight as well as state so on your invoice via print or stamp.

It's their crap hence their responsibility to pay and pickup, if they don't pick it up you have all rights to sell it if you take the above precautions. Mr Nice Guy only goes so far. Hell after 90 you can lien a car in Cali if they don't pay!
Old     (topside_marine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-27-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
THANKS EVERYONE for such a great response. Your help is greatly appreciated. I will ensure all of our props have been a year and then make them available to the first interested person.

I have these props available now.

Refurb Props

OJ 13 X 13 X 1 1/8 3 Blade Left Rotation
OJ 14 X 13 X 1 1/8 3 Blade Left Rotation

New in Box

Acme #537 13 1/2 X 16 X 1 1/8 4 Blade Left Rotation.

I would prefer not to list prices on line but I will let them go for what we have invested in them. Call me at 408 451 9596 if you are interested. Thanks again for all of your help.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-27-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
I was going to mention you should have a disclaimer right on the receipt you give the customer and maybe a big sign behind your counter.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-27-2009, 11:02 AM Reply   
I would call Bronson/Hill in Santa Ana CA, find out what their policy is.