Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-07-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
okay I know you guys are always informative! so now I need your help! I started wakeboarding last year, only got out a couple times but got up everytime. This year I got a 05 Trandscend with 05 LF Transits...I can still get up but I'm having trouble getting balanced and straighting my board. I cant seem to get the board parrallel with the boat..idk what im doing..ill take any advice...Id really like to get comfortable this year and maybe even attempt some W2W before the end of the season
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
When you get up, let go with your back hand. That will let your rear shoulder and hip turn away from the boat getting you in the right position. Start carving around a little bit and once you feel comfortable grab with both hands.
I had a similar problem it was hard for me to keep my hips and shoulders from trying to face the boat.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-07-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
concentrate on keeping that handle at your front hip. also, weight distribution should be 60% on your rear leg, 40% on your front. hopefully this helps, good luck!
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-07-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
thanks guys..im goin out this week a couple times to work on it..i think carving a little to start might help me too!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-07-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
Yes like Jay said concentrate on keeping that handle at your front hip.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-07-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
how are your bindings set up?
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-07-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
Trevor, I was thinking about setting them up different..I believe they are both turned out a little bit...I was going to straighten them out!
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-07-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
You should probably leave your bindings ducked out a little. Most people follow the rule of jump off a curb or a small step with your head straight forward, then look down and copy the angle and width of your feet with your binding setup. I think it is important to follow Steve's advice and combine it with Jay's. If you feel yourself get a little squirrelly, let go with your back hand and the pull of the boat will straighten you out. Keep the handle near your hip. Then as you feel comfortable and straight again, bring your back hand around, but try to maintain the same posture so you can stay straight. You may need to stand a little taller too, I see beginners take a turtle like posture and it throws off your center of gravity. Stand tall and think 60% back foot and 40% front.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-07-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
HANDLE AT YOUR FRONT HIP! As in literally touch your front hip bone. It'll feel weird but it's correct. It'll help the pull of the boat to be a lower balancing point and pulling from the correct part of the body. Carve around on both sides of the wake with the handle at the position. You can even pull the handle with both hands a little behind your back hip when edging out toeside really hard. Having the handle low at your hips will also make you stand tall with your back straight instead of being squirrely leaning back hard on the line with a stiff front leg and bent rear leg.

Most importantly to fix any problem your having is to ride as much as you can. Comfort will work it's way into your riding.
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-07-2008, 3:52 PM Reply   
Thanx guys im goin to try and flim it next time I go out to see what Im doing.. this is definetly helpful though!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-07-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
as stated above, but I just want to make sure its clear. Keep the handle low (waist height) and push your front hip to the handle, do not bring the handle to your front hip, that usually ends in disaster.