Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-18-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
Talking the new Transcend shape. I ride the Absolute platty, but rode my buddies Substance today. Loved the pop, unreal, but way to loose for my me. How does the new Transcend compare? Anyone ride both? Read a lot of threads on here about the pop of the Transcend, but unfortunately I don't have the option to demo and my son rides one of the old school Transcend shapes.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-19-2008, 2:29 AM Reply   
Anyone?
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-19-2008, 5:50 AM Reply   
I went from the abs platty 141 thats the shape i rode for 3.5 yrs.That is until i picked up a 2007 138 transcend platty for half price at the winter boat show and after one day out on the transcend i sold the platty abs..

its a tad faster and pops smooth and big..it is a lot like the Abs but with a bit more speed and seems to ride a bit better in rougher water..

i never rode the substance but i heard the old ones popped great but landed hard..
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-19-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
I've ridden and owned all three boards.

Good comparison. The 138 Substance and Transcend have a similar snappy, pop, and a light feel. The biggest difference is the landings. The Substance landed MUCH harder in the flats for me than the Transcend. I sold the board after 3-4 rides for this reason.

In my experience, both were similar in speed. I would rate them as fast. Both are narrower than the Absolute at the tip and tail, so they're a bit more responsive imo.

The Substance molded fins span further towards the center of the board, so it's more locked down to the water when the board is flat and a little less forgivving.

The Trans has less fin towards the center of the board, but slightly deeper fins all the way at the tail. So it feels more locked down when you're edging in tail heavy. If you get a Platinum, you get two sets of fin extensions so that you can customize all four edges. When the board hits the water in the flats, it maintains it's speed and makes for a smooth landing.

The Transcend is as good as a wakeboard gets for me.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-19-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
I went from the Substance to the Absolute, to the Transcend....

They're all semi similar boards. I never got into the current Absolute shape, but loved the older one. The current one pops hard, but I never liked the way it edged to the wake. I think the Transcend and the Substance are a more similar direct comparison. They both deliver a lot of pop. I think the Substance bucks a bit more, but the Transcend gets it done, too. The landings on the Transcend are a lot softer. I ended up going to the bigger Substance because the 138 was killing my knees. I ride the 138 Transcend and it's totally smooth. Other than that, the Substance is a bit looser as the fins aren't quite as deep. The real icing on the Transcend cake is going Platinum. I'm on my second year on this board. Last year was foam core, this year is Platinum. It's soo sick. Super light and really responsive. Definitely my favorite board of all time.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-19-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input. Sounds like the Transcend is what I'm looking for. I like the way my lute locks in, but it's way to slow. I loved the pop of the Substance which was a 138 but it was too loose for me, but then I didn't have a lot of time on it. The landings were kicking my butt. Knees don't hurt as much as my neck and ribs from the beating that I was taking. It was a buddies board and that he rides smooth as silk on it. Different style I guess. Now I just need to find a deal hopefully on the Transcend Platty.