Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-28-2008, 2:49 PM Reply   
the best moments thread got me thinking back so heres a compressed version of where it all started until today.. how about you?

so ill go timeline of great moments

1.1997-first time i got up and stayed up behind IO boat ,28 yrs old...

1b-i think this was the year i found the wakelist,wakeboarder.com and later wakeworld..it was on then!

2.Beginning of spring 1998 hs 3 first legitimate trick i landed.

3a-1998 bought my first real wakeboard boat-well i thought it was -brand new 1998 moomba outback.

3b.1999 spring first backroll( first invert)then 3 days after i first landed the back roll i signed up for a tourney and at practice i hit two of four BRs and the next day hit it on first try in my tourney run ..man what a week that was i still get goose bumps ,i had friends and a gf there and they filmed it etc..

4.2000 Bought my new Supra Launch ,totally stoked!still have it to this day.went all over within 6 hr drives to events,tourneys,met a ton of great people along the way and was feeling part of something big ,the wakeboard community.i was now officially addicted :-)

4b spring 2000 first and second crow landed in same set(1st ts invert)...

5.2001 1st ts three landed and getting better and feeling smooth and in control of my tricks.now am locked into the community and have alot of new friends in the wakeboard community..

6.2001-2003 -a lot of freeriding 3-4days a week learning some tricks but hitting a wall so i was really good at the handful i had and very consistent.had ok tourneys but nothing to write home about.Landed a few new tricks and made them cleaner. Ts front was new invert but now losing spins and taking a beating..intermediate 2nd and third place finishes but no gold! still having a blast..a few injuries set me back but nothing major.

7.2004 i had some really good tourneys and made some finals in advanced but hit a wall and never podium and had fun but losing stoke that winter..

8.2005-hurt knee in june and really didnt get any real riding in and bummed.did hit one new trick in the winter but havent hit it since so cant claim it ts br2r.

9.2006 rode tentativly and not having as much fun since knee is not healing right as my meniscus is about gone.i was losing a lot of consistency and not feeling it.

10.2007 knee is still hurt but learned to live with the pain and got rejuvinated and having fun again age 37 and close to some new tricks...winter i am riding great,throwing astuff in drysuit and cold but having fun....

11.2008-rode all winter,had some great sets,trying new tricks and getting things back .I feel like its going to be a great year even banged up and old at 38 :-)

yea this is compressed ive been around so long id write about 5 pages ...
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-28-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
1994 went to bud waterski tournament and saw zane swenk on a "wakeboard". I thought that looked sweet so I asked for one for x mas.

14 years later, I still wakeboard, I have had 2 boats, and can sucessfully say I have been a wakeboarder for 1/2 my life :-)
Old     (newbieboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-28-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
Started June of 07..can do all begginer tricks and most int..... Had to learn the hard way. Off the back of my Crownline boat with a hand me down board. It was a Gator and way to fast. Rode with some peps that own a Centruion Dealership. Learned more. Now I bought a 98 Sportster Malibu for this year and a Ronix Mana Board with Ronix one bindings. So I think this year will be alot better for me. So I guess you could say 4 months.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-28-2008, 8:17 PM Reply   
Summer of 1998 - Friend introduces me to wakeboarding. I get up on the first try behind his boat. Was riding a Hyperlite with a big sun in the middle of the bottom...

Christmas 1998 - First wakeboard, Liquid Force Super Squirt with those bindings that you could take apart and readjust completely.

Summer 1999 - Began riding nearly every day behind jetski. Learned to jump on my own, never really progressed.

Summer 2000- Continued riding behind two seater jetski, ran into my dock riding in one time, cracked the front of the board. Learned to butterslide.

Summer 2001 - Didn't ride much, I got Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and well, there ya go.

Summer 2002 - Began to outgrow that board, got a new jetski. Had a nasty fall where I kicked myself in the back of the head with the board. Sliced the skin open and concussion. Didn't ride but two or three times the rest of the summer.

Summer 2003 - Realized my board was too small, but still occasionally rode it around when my dad had a guest who wanted to see me wakeboard.

Summer of 2004 - Rode for two minutes before the board slid out from under me. Way to big for it.

2005 - Got my Liquid Force Substance 142. Still didn't ride much, but rode more.

2006 - Rode a little bit more, but didn't really progress at all. First ride behind a wakeboard boat, my coworker's X-Star (Joel Wagner). Tried his CWB board because my bindings at the time were horrible, didn't like it. That same day we also taped flashlights on every part of my board, put glowsticks on our vests and the rope handle, went riding at night. Was awesome.

2007 - Buddy introduces me to guy with a wakeboard boat. First wake to wake jump behind my deckboat. First heelside frontside 180, first toeside frontside 180, nearly land a backroll. Second backroll attempt did something to my knee, still not sure what, but it's gotten worse. Waiting on MRI results. Continued riding and trying the backroll, continuously coming close but falling after landing. Will land in Spring... Brostock came to Smith Mountain Lake, great party, irritating people came with me though. Cops come down and start searching boats and stuff, guest had brought a bong onto my boat without telling me. It did have residue, and enough to get me in trouble. Kept from getting in trouble, but still, it's the principle of the matter. Boat breaks down, I paddle 3 drunken idiots back to my house from the houseboats. Fun time. Continued riding to the end of the summer, which was probably a big mistake. Also got my first wakeskate for my birthday in November.

2008 - Bought a new board, riding it next week.

Long-winded and retarded. Cheers.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-29-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
hey that sun board was a murray foam core 1997/98 fluid and it was great i landed my first backroll on it...

that was a real nice board...

heres some low quality pics from that firt backroll week at my first tourney on that very board :-)

Upload
Upload
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-29-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
Nice. I remember how stoked he was that he won that thing in a competition. He bragged about it at school a lot... I think I rode a different board though, because he didn't want me riding his new one.