Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-12-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
I've reviewed some of the winterization articles here as well as my indmar enginre manual, still have some questions though. Boat is '03 VLX with Malibu Monsoon Indmar engine. I've winterized a previous boat I've owned ('84 supra direct drive), but this will be the first time I will attempt my newer one.

1) Alcohol in gasoline. How do I know if my gas contains alcohol or not, I use 87 at a local shell station in Lorton, VA. Not sure If I need to empty the gas, put in sta-bil or nothing...

2) Start engine to mix the fuel w/ Sta-bil and warm up before draining engine block.

3) Drain water from exhaust manifolds, uncouple the hose quick disconnect. Is there 1 or 2 of these?

4) Remove hose from lower end of the transmission cooler. Do I have to do this?

5) Remove 2 square headed drain plugs from Walters V-Drive unit.

6) Remove the petcock (whats that?), drain plug or sensor from eache side of engine.

7) Disconnect the large diameter hose that runs from the water circulating pump to the thermostat housing. Does this need to be done? Also, is this the hose going from the imepeller to the engine?

Is that it? Once I disconnect and drain completely, can I put the hoses / plugs back in so it's ready to go in the spring? Also, what about pumping in antifreeze to the engine? I don't see anything in the engine owners manual about this, but have done it in the past with my previous boat.

I appreciate any/all help available, I just want to ensure I don't miss anything important and end up with a cracked block.
Old     (mechmaster)      Join Date: May 2006       10-12-2007, 2:08 PM Reply   
Look here:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=6628

This should clear up some of your questions.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-12-2007, 2:55 PM Reply   
Alcohol would be clearly labeled at the pump if it had it so I'd be pretty sure you don't. Gasline antifreeze is also alcohol so don't put that in. Add Sta-bil and fill the tank. It'll mix on the trailer ride or when you drive the boat.
Should be a drain on each side of the exhaust.
Petcock is a valve that screws into the block.
You can reconnect all the hoses after you're sure it's drained. But, it's nice to let it dry for a day or so.
Pumping in antifreeze is a good idea in case there is some water left in a hose or passage.
Some people take the impellor out and store it in a ziplock bag.
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-16-2007, 12:27 PM Reply   
Mike- That was a good article. I plan on following every step in that article, I'm thinking about running the engine for 15-20 minutes, then switching from water to EPA RV antifreeze for about 6 gallons worth, then draining. Assuming anything left in hoses, various engine places would be antifreeze if anything once it'w drained.