Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       03-13-2007, 7:23 PM Reply   
I removed some of the aftermarket stickers the previous owner had on my boat. I used a blowdryer and the stickers came off OK, but there is quite a bit of glue left behind.

I know this has been covered and did a search, but couldn't find the right thread. Here's what we have in the house:
Goo Gone
Oops!
Goof Off
WD-40
gasoline
paint thinner

Goo Gone was no match. Goof Off is kind of smearing the glue around. Do I need to keep heating the glue with the blowdryer. I thought this would be a quick job. Obviously, don't want to hurt the gelcoat. Any tips?
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-13-2007, 9:49 PM Reply   
3m make an Adhesive remover that helps but your Goof off is most likley the same stuff. I had a similar problem with the door guard on my toyota and I was instructed much to my shagrin to use a plastic puddy knife. I have to admit that I was sure I was going to damage my very nice paint but it worked well and zero marks or damage other than getting the ever so studburn double sided tape off. Im going to remove some sticker off my boat very soon and plan on doing what worked before unless there is a technique better than what I just described for fiberglass.
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-13-2007, 10:08 PM Reply   
The plastic putty knife will definitely scratch the gelcoat on your boat. Just use the 3M Adhesive remover and it will take the glue right off. I removed a very sticky transom guard and a bunch of worn out gator grip no problem...you'll probably need to wax the area once you're all done.
Old     (jv_v210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-13-2007, 11:20 PM Reply   
WD 40 and a terrycloth towel, and elbow grease
Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-14-2007, 5:31 AM Reply   
The WD-40 has worked for me as well, without too much effort.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-14-2007, 6:01 AM Reply   
acetone/nail polish remover it wont hurt gelcoat but makes quick work of the glue.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-14-2007, 7:22 AM Reply   
Goof-off and a wet household scouring pad. Not one of the really hard ones but a soft one. I dunno what it is about the water and the goof-off but something happens and it cuts the job time in half. I took the body moldings off my tahoe this way, no marks on the clear coat.
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-17-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
Pure silicon spray. It is clear, so it won't stain stuff if you get it on something else. Then clean it off with soap and water.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-17-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
Any citrus based adhesive remover will work best for you.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-17-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
Rich, I'd like to see a pic of your boat when it's done. Are you going to put any other stickers on?
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       03-17-2007, 6:00 PM Reply   
Erik, I will have to post some some pics in the next couple of weeks. It should start coming together pretty soon.

BTW, I still have the big aftermarket "X" on the side. I'm pretty sure there is nothing under there, and I don't like the ProStar graphics without the "MasterCraft" logo on the side. I could always replace that, but right now it's not a priority.

You can barely see it in the profile pic, but there was a silver "X Series" decal on the side above the rubrail all the way to the back. It made the side just a little too busy.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-18-2007, 8:26 AM Reply   
I've also used an acetone thinner. Comes right off and no damage to gel coat. Also, almost everyone always has this in your basement/ garage.
Old     (2onboone)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-18-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
3m makes an automotive grade degreaser it is used just before you paint and that stuff will usually take off about anything very safe
you could also be very careful and use easy off oven spray but it strips all the wax off
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-18-2007, 10:25 PM Reply   
Mineral oil. Works great and safe for the boat
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       03-19-2007, 6:29 AM Reply   
I ended up using OOPS! and a wet rag. I tried Nail Polish Remover too, but the OOPS! worked a little better. The package says safe for fiberglass. It was still a lot of work for two 6 X 12 stickers.