Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (hyperlite30601)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-06-2007, 8:49 PM Reply   
We are looking at buying either a Supra 21v or 22ssv of malibu vlx, but my dad wants to know what the wake is like behind the boats for recreational skiing for my cousins that just ride on two skis, and maybe a few that slalom. Just wondering if you get the speed up and dump the weight if the wake will flatten out enough for someone to ski. Thanks
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-06-2007, 9:39 PM Reply   
I dont know about the Supras but the VLX will suck for slalom, but most v-drives will. Its my understanding that you can order the VLX with the diamond hull which is taylored to skiing. At least thats what they told me at the factory.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-06-2007, 9:57 PM Reply   
You want to look at the Malibu Sunscape 21V if skiing is in the mix. I believe it has the SV23 diamond hull with the same deadrise as the Response. Look at the boat review issue of waterski, it rates boats for ski & wakeboard wakes, THEN GO TEST DRIVE/SKI. What works for me might not work for your dad. I have skied behind a VLX, I-Ride, 211, X-Star, and a few others. Some manufacturers make great claims about the skiability of their V-drives, none of the wakes will get anywhere close to being as flat as a recent direct-drive ski hull.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-08-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
If you are going to also ski, go with a direct drive. A buddy of mine purchaced a XTI Malibu. Excelent wake when loaded for Boarding, and a good wake for skiing when un loaded.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-08-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
I wouldn't sacrifice that much of a wakeboard wake for a few cousins that just ski recreationally.

Whatever boat of those 3 will be just fine for them.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-08-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
It is possible to get the VLX with the diamond hull. You do not need to get the Sunscape for this feature. The Supra wake will flatten out and it can be adjusted with the wake plate.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-08-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
X1/x2/xstar. Has a really good ski wake unloaded with one or two people in it, but what does the wake matter for a couple of guys on two skis?

(Message edited by psudy on March 08, 2007)
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-08-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
20SSV @ 34mph

Upload
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-08-2007, 1:59 PM Reply   
The Malibu VTX on the cut diamond hull is supposed to throw one of the best v-drive ski wakes...
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-08-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
Unless your cousins are cranking turns and haulin', get the boat for what it will mainly be used for. Which sounds like you riding. They probably won't even notice the wake, maybe they'll even jump it themselves, but you would notice the difference in size if you went smaller. Option B: Teach them to ride!
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-08-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
Eric the 07 21V and 22SSV does not have a good slalom wake and are hard core wakeboard wakes. However the 01-06 22SSV has a much different hull and has a reasonable slalom wake when unloaded
Old     (hooterz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-13-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
Eric if your dad can find a MC X-7 which is what I have, it is a great all around ski and board boat.