Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (outbackls)      Join Date: May 2004       03-02-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
We are renting as houseboat on Lake Cumberland in August and I was wondering how long of a rope I need to tow my Mobius behind it? We have never done this so any of the seasoned houseboaters out there that want to offer up any other tips or tricks to succesful houseboating... I would appriciate your help! Thanks.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-02-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
I towed my boat about 25-30 feet back. I think the houseboat recommended like 50 feet. seemed a bit far back for me. I did not have any problems with mine though.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-02-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
We always towed our boat by putting two ropes through two peaces of pvc pipe and conecting them to the bow, and each side of the rear deck on the house boat. It was nice because you just unhooked one side and pulled the boat in. We only ran it about 12feet back, but the pvc would keep the boat from coming forward and hitting the houseboat.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-02-2007, 11:44 AM Reply   
I second what Thomas said
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-02-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
also, I always made sure someone was keeping an eye on the boat. I have seen a couple of boats floating randomly, because the "knot" became untied.
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-02-2007, 12:17 PM Reply   
Jeff. A longer rope is more of a little more work, but, it gives you more time cut the engine or make any quick turns. After driving that thing awhile its easy to forget something is behind you.
Old     (outbackls)      Join Date: May 2004       03-02-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
Thanks guys for the responses. Do the rental houseboats have a tie-off point in the middle of the stern for using one rope or do you guys just simply tie off to the right or left side of the houseboat? I do like the method Paul posted but I'm not sure it's necessary. I was planning to buy a new rope with a slip type clevis hook on at least one end so I can attach the rope to the bow eye of my boat. That should ensure my baby doesn't float away.

What about bumpers? I have 2 large round inflatable bumpers and 2 that are smaller in diameter and shaped to fit over the gunnels of my boat. Is that enough or do you guys recommend more? Thanks again!
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       03-02-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   
I would suggest you have an eye on the boat at almost all times. Too many stories of boats taking a wave and being pulled under. Tie off to the bow eye and not a cleat. Make sure the boat being towed has as much freeboard as possible (don't load it down with supplies for the week/weekend).
In general...be careful.
Old     (jsxstar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-02-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
when you park dont worry about bumpers tie one end of the boat to the end of the houseboat and the other to and angle to the shore then nothing is touching and can go anywhere. Upload
Old     (outbackls)      Join Date: May 2004       03-02-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
Paul and JS Thanks. I will make sure we keep a close eye on our boat while underway and make sure we have all the ballast empty and riding as high as possible. Great pic JS, is that your houseboat or did you guys rent it? Where was it taken at?
Old     (jsxstar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-02-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
we rented it. it was at lake shasta last summer
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-02-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
jeff who did you rent your houseboat from, i live here on cumberland
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-02-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
is the lake going to be deep enough to have a houseboat in!
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-02-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
it is still as deep as 160ft in some spots but the problem is there a very few coves to tie up in, or a least much smaller ones
here is a current level pic from my house but if you go back in the rivers they are very small or dry Upload
it is about 70 ft deep in this pic
Old     (outbackls)      Join Date: May 2004       03-02-2007, 5:20 PM Reply   
Supra for me,
We rented from Beaver Creek Resort. I was told that they are extending their launch ramps so we should have no problems putting the Mobius in (fingers crossed). We were concerned that the lake would not be in good enough shape to make a trip down from Michigan but they assured us we would have a great trip. The friends we are going with have been down to the lake in previous years and said it was the best vacation they have ever had... so we booked it.

Since you live on the lake do you have any advice for us? We want to ride hard during the day and chill during the evenings and do a fair amount of partying. It's going to be a family trip so we shouldn't get too out of hand . Any coves you can recommend or any places to stay away from? How far is "The Falls" from Beaver Creek? Should we keep the houseboat away from there or what?
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-02-2007, 6:34 PM Reply   
I have been looking at the ramps that are open and most of them have a 20 foot max on the boat size that you can launch. What can you do if your boat is 21.5 feet?
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-02-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
supra for me i have a question for you. i see that you live on lake cumberland and i was wondering if you know of any real estate that is for sale close to the lake. i know this is a shot in the dark but i just learned tonight that our lake cabin that my "crew" has grown up on has been sold right out from under us. we aren't looking for anything special just some place to lay our heads at night that has a roof over it. if there is anything that you can do to help us saddened boaters out we would appreciate it.....and i thought dropping the lake was bad......what's next?
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-03-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
Jeff, You will have a good trip but it will be nothing like years past. The lake looks horrible in many areas, trash and debris that has been accumulating for years on the bottom is now visible. You will be able to launch your boat, if there is 20 ft maxs anywhere, there are very few. Most of the ramps that are in use they are still using for 100 ft houseboats, for testing etc. On another sad note, "the falls, along with the party cove", are completely gone, dried up. I am sure there will be new hang out places but we will see. If I was in your shoes I would call state dock and see if they have any rentals, they are much closer to nicer water and far nicer rentals.
Chris
As I told jeff the ramps will be fine, most have put in packed gravel extensions. What part of the lake are you wanting to have something at. Are you looking to buy or rent.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-03-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
here is a great page for recent photos
http://static.cnhi.zope.net/flashpromo/somersetkentucky/flashpromo/slideshow/tuttlephotos/JohnTuttle.swf
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-03-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
supra for me,

i'm looking close to alligator 2. have any ideas
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-03-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
the alligator docks are about gone b/c the water level, i would look somewhere else, prob close to conley bottom and i could help in that area
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-03-2007, 3:20 PM Reply   
do you have some listings for the conley bottom area?
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-03-2007, 3:52 PM Reply   
my father in-law is a real estate broker he could help you, he is a little crazy but a good guy
Old     (outbackls)      Join Date: May 2004       03-03-2007, 4:47 PM Reply   
Supra for me,
Thanks for the info. You mentioned that a lot of the coves anr river portions are really low and apparently dried-up in some places, will we be able to get back in anywhere to tie up for the night or are we going to be forced to stay in the main portion of the lake?

It's sad that the falls are dried up, from the pictures I have seen it looked like a cool place to hang out.

Maybe Lake Norris would have been a better choice? I guess like eveything in life... it's what you make of it. Thanks again for the info!
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-03-2007, 6:28 PM Reply   
jeff, you will find a place off the main lake to tie up, what you will prob do is pull the nose on the bank and tie off the back on both sides since the coves are not as big
you will have a good time
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       03-03-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
We tie up to the side of the houseboat using the big bumpers that are already on the houseboat. Never a problem, but we tie up way back in a secluded cove and usually take all boards off the racks on the houseboat side.

I hope your trip works out well. Cumberland is a great lake, but we moved to Norris a few years back. There's also Dale Hollow by Cumberland...
Upload
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       03-03-2007, 6:37 PM Reply   
You can see the size of the bumpers the houseboat supplies in this picture better.

Nothing like uncovering for the first run of the morning on GLASS-like water!
Upload
Old     (outbackls)      Join Date: May 2004       03-04-2007, 5:36 AM Reply   
Supra for me,
Thanks for the positive vibe about the lake. I'm sure we will have a great time. It looks really crazy in the photos from the link above. There is a lot of dry lake shore exposed. I'll bet the exposed trash issue is a real problem for the KY Tourism group.

Cincy,
How many people did you have on that trip that, that you needed 3 tow boats? Like Napolean Dynamite said "LUCKY"! Great pics!
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       03-04-2007, 6:38 AM Reply   
Jeff,
We run a crew of 12-13 people. 4 boats (you can't see 4th in the pics) can be overkill, but it gives people options and sometimes people just want to have their boat there.

What week are you heading to Cumberland? We go out of Pennington 33 Bridge Marina (Norris Lake) Aug.13-17.
Old     (outbackls)      Join Date: May 2004       03-04-2007, 7:52 AM Reply   
Cincy,
We will be there Aug 27 - 31st. Just before the kids have to go back to school. Options are good and I'd say you guys have em! Have a great trip on Norris. My brother wants to move down there and is really pushing me and my family to go with him. Maybe some day?
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-04-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
Paul - I go to Penningtons every year in June. Great place, nice guys and amazing part of the lake. Also from cincy. Do you ever ride around town? I'm usually at east fork or the licking river.

(also - for the post - we tie the boat the same way. re-arrange those huge bumpers for boat. works perfect and you just step off the houseboat onto the sundeck. tie the houseboat with two ropes to trees in the back of the cove and it is perfect. glass all day back there)
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-04-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
supra,

can you email me your father in laws info so i can get in touch with him

thanks for the help
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-05-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
Cincy, Lets keep it on the downlow about Dale Hollow being so close.LOL

Jeff, The lake is still going to be as big as dale hollow even at it level now, from what Im told. I would also suggest talking to your marina who you are renting from about a DISCOUNT. There are going to be alot of enpty houseboats this year most people think.

To tie the boats we take the ropes that are provided on the four corners of the houseboat pull up and tie it off and start drinking. when you get to your destination either pull the rope in and jump on or take the wave runner and untie the boat.
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-05-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
as for towing the ski boat.
we tie off on the side and tow using 10" dia. bumpers. I have never had any problems with rubbing. just make sure that most of the line preasure is on the bow eye. and using to lifting rings on the stern (not sure if i trust a cleat .?)

and I don't recall reading this, but I love to state the obvious (makes me feel smart). when you are getting ready to enter a cove to tie up in, no matter how you tow the boat, un hook it and have somebody idle out away from the cove.

but mostly we have the wives take the ski boats out. they tie up and float while the guys are getting the HBoat tied up
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-05-2007, 4:44 PM Reply   
We use hippity hop technology for bumpers. $9.99 each and you can get them with pics of your favorite super heros......
Old     (bfwake)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-06-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
Just wondering about the water temp there in late April or May, generally speaking? Thanks, eb.