Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-25-2007, 3:34 PM Reply   
My definition of how fast a board rides is how quickly it accelerates when on edge and how much speed you can build up before you hit the wake.

Does a longer board ride "faster" than a shorter board?

Does the faster ride come from more bouyancy making the board ride higher out of the water?

I know that boards with a lot of rocker ride slower because the rocker increases drag. I am having trouble thinking of a good way to explain how rocker creates drag.

Please help come up with a good explanation.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-25-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
Let them ride a Roam - type board, then switch back; it will become clear hot it works, lol.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-25-2007, 4:24 PM Reply   
Parks board is the fastest I've ever ridden. Lock those fins in, and hang on tight baby.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-25-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
I rate board speed by the amount of drag, whether on edge or not.

"Does the faster ride come from more bouyancy making the board ride higher out of the water?

imo...yes

"I am having trouble thinking of a good way to explain how rocker creates drag."

back to your bouyancy thing. A board with more rocker has less board in the water. The portion that is in the water is sunk deeper as a result.

That's my theory anyway.

Some boards seem to break the rules however. Like the Parks board for example. Can't explain how it's not slow.
Old     (arizona_boarder)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-25-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
The Gator Harris board rides pretty fast...
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-25-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
a boarder with more rocker oushes more water. basically the fastest ride you could get is if the board was perfectly parallel to the surface of the water and riding on top of it. the more rocker, the steeper the angle of the front of the board, the more water it pushes, the more drag, the slower.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-25-2007, 9:57 PM Reply   
Get an O'brien Cartel, its super FAST
Old    kc700            01-26-2007, 12:50 AM Reply   
dont forget the 3ds....fast as hell....
Old     (liquidmarcus)      Join Date: May 2004       01-26-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
I ride a Liquid Force Subjekt and it's really fast, because the bottom of the board has very little channels or anything to drag it down, it's just 2 fins on either side.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-26-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
Its all about the rocker. In wakeboarding, fast isnt always a good thing.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       01-26-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
I agree with the parks... scary fast. Switched to an absolute platinum, never looked back
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-26-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
Think of it like this: More rocker = more frontal area, more frontal area more drag. Some examples: a symmetrical wing (aerobatic) vs a non symmetrical wing (glider)on an airplane or a truck vs a car or better yet a runabout boat vs. john boat (all of approximate equal surface area). All have to push more matter (air or water) out of the way.

With wakeboards, to create the same amount of lift (to keep you out of the water), the board with more rocker has to push more water thus creating more drag due to the curvature of the bottom (front to back).

Now I don't consider the parks or absolute a fast board (I ride the absolute). I think they hold an edge better than other 3 stage boards, and are faster than other 3 stages but not a fast board. I consider the old HL lavelles fast boards.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-27-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I am closer to being able to explain to people not just how a board rides, but the specific characteristics that make it ride that way.