Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       01-21-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
I use the blower before every start as required but always wondered if it needs to be left on whenever the motor is running or not. Anyone have a definite answer?
Old    walt            01-21-2007, 2:35 PM Reply   
It should be left on until you are on plane.
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-21-2007, 3:06 PM Reply   
I almost never use mine after initial start. I know I should, but haven't had a problem yet. With that said this may be my last post. R.I.P.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-21-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
I just leave mine on most of the time. IMO its better to replace a blower than blowing up the boat.
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-21-2007, 11:54 PM Reply   
As soon as we start up, its switched off...
Old    walt            01-22-2007, 5:46 AM Reply   
The risk of explosion is not gone after your engine is started. Your really should leave it on in until your going fast enough to have the engine compartment flushed with air by the vents. It's perfectly safe not to use your blower at all until you have a gas leak.

Most of the time I go as far as to lift the engine cover and give it a sniff test when I first get in the boat for the day.
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       01-22-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
I would like to find some data that shows how many boats actually blow up/catch on fire, from not running the blower.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-22-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
The only time I dont use the blower when starting the boat, is if my wife is sitting on the engine cover.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-22-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
walt, lift the cover and give a sniff test. Thats what my wife does before she hops in the bed with me at night.
Old     (wakeecuador)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-22-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
just before starting the boat
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-22-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
blower stays on till after we get moving for a while. then off until we are sitting- beached or anchored somewhere.

i'm w/ you billy except for substitute wife for anyone whining when on the boat...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-22-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
Hate when I'm straping my board on, and the blower is pumping engine compartment fumes into my face.
Old    walt            01-22-2007, 12:42 PM Reply   

quote:

I would like to find some data that shows how many boats actually blow up/catch on fire, from not running the blower.

No data is needed as far as I'm concerned. I've heard of boats going up @ local lakes and I've personally seen several come in my friends shop with gas leaks of all kinds. All you need is a little gas and ignition from a bad spark plug wire and you have a nice bomb on your hands.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-22-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
I had a gas leak on my from an erroded sealent on a connection on a carb. Luckily my mechanic found it when we did the standard preseason check up. After seeing the small puddle of gas on the block I will never think twice about using the blower.

Its the first thing that I do when I get to the boat and I let it run usually till we are up and riding (after filling sacs, putting throught the slow section, and at full speed to get to the butta = a good 15-20 min).

I guess i dont know why you wouldnt use it...
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-22-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
I leave mine on all the time when running, and yes I have replaced it once.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-22-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
If the engine compartment has 'fumes' that you can smell blowing in your face, you might want to check your fuel system.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-22-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
only very rarely do I turn mine on - once a month wither it needs it or not.

oh well..
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-22-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
Ask Josh Sanders & his family. Their boat blew up years ago, I'm not sure if it was from exhaust fumes but if I recall correctly they were just cruising and ka-boom! All survived with minor/moderate injuries. Running it at all times is excessive but I always try to turn it on when at idle.
Old    walt            01-22-2007, 5:14 PM Reply   
A 1/4 cup of gasoline mixed with the right ratio of air and ignition equals one stick of dynamite.
Old    walt            01-22-2007, 5:21 PM Reply   
Here's what a little gas will do and this was in open air. http://www.ebaumsworld.com/boatfire.html
Old     (ranger)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-22-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
I figure a blower is what? $30. I turn my blower on as soon as I get into the boat. The only time I turn it off, is if I turn the boat off for more that 10 min or so.
My thought has always been that it is cheap insurance.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-23-2007, 6:30 PM Reply   
The most likely time to have explosive fumes in the boat is right after gassing up as it is very easy for gas fumes from the tank and/or gas nozzel to flow into the boat as the liquid flows into the tank.

The most likely time for such fumes to be ignited is when the starter engages and the sparks from the electric motor are going like crazy.

Once the boat is underway the combination of the engine consuming large amounts of air plus the natural ventilation should keep fumes from accumulating. I usually shut the blower off as soon as I am underway.

I have witnessed two boats catching fire from not running a blower. One was a case as described above, right after refueling at the gas dock. 18' runabout, ended up causing millions of dollars in damage to the marina at Lake Powell.

The other case was after the boat owner had been working on the boat and had spilled some gas in the bottom of the boat. Fortunately, he had a fire extinguisher handy and was able to put the fire out with essentially no damage.

I have seen a number of other boats burn, but I can't say for certain what the cause of the fire was. But I have seen enough to convince me that fuel and electrical items should be marine versions and you should really run the blower.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-23-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
So we have established that it is important to run your blower. How long do you run the blower before starting your boat? Most boats suggest 4 minutes. What do you guys really run it for? I do maybe 1 minute
Old     (jleger98)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-25-2007, 7:52 AM Reply   
I run mine for a few minutes before start up, then leave it on all the time while underway. I'll shut it off when someone is strapping a board on. I'll take a $30 blower replacement over all the paperwork that would come with an explosion....not to mention grieving over the loss of my weekend home.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-25-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
Billy, I"m freakin crackin up. That was hilarious...
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-25-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
I have a d-drive (Ski Nautique) and I always lift the cover when I'm starting the engine. I plan to continue doing this when I own a V-Drive. It just seems like a lot easier way than running a blower for 4 minutes.

On the water I run the blower between riders.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-25-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
Ben, I agree, Billy's posts always seem to make me laugh too.