Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old    DRA            11-23-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
I am curious on what the thought is on size and weight in relation to the amount of POP someone gets. Do you think that a small lighter guy (say 5' 6" & 140) will get more pop then a larger (say 6' 195) will.
What makes me bring this up is it seems that every time I see a smaller guy riding he/she seems to get more pop then some of us larger guys. Whats your thoughts??
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-23-2006, 3:06 PM Reply   
It's not about the size, it's how you use it
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-23-2006, 3:11 PM Reply   
it can only be beneficial to be lighter.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-23-2006, 3:12 PM Reply   
although, I feel like I get more pop now that I'm 160, rather than when I was 140.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-23-2006, 3:14 PM Reply   
Depends on what kind of "weight" you have.

Certainly an overweight obese man wont get much pop... but for anyone who has seen Rusty ride in real life, it is just simply amazing.
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-23-2006, 3:27 PM Reply   
Too fat to pop!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-23-2006, 4:14 PM Reply   
The pop comes from technique, not size or weight. I'm sure a big guy on a small board wont pop as good a someone on a correct board for their wieght. if you have no bend in your waist or knees to absorb the pop, it will be there. Harf & Rusty are 6'+ and they get plenty of pop, as does Parks at 5'+.
Old    walt            11-23-2006, 4:23 PM Reply   
It might be easier for a small guy but big guys can go plenty big.

Here's a shot of Mike and he goes about 6ft 250 pounds.

Upload
Old    DRA            11-23-2006, 6:01 PM Reply   
Take the Rusty example. If you were able to have the exact same technique in cut and hit the wake at the same speed and angle do you think a lighter/smaller rider would have more pop? I know big guys can go big thats not a question in my mind. I am thinking though that the smaller lighter guys have more of an advantage.

If I could correct my technique I would be positive I could get alot more pop.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-23-2006, 7:46 PM Reply   
You have to think about the mass? of the wake and how much meat there is behind it to support the bucking of a heavy dude opposed to a lightweight.
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       11-24-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
I believe that gravity works the same for everyone. I would think that the lighter smaller dude is probably younger and in better shape too, so he gets better pop...b/c his strenght and technique are better.

Regarding the roddyrod comment, I'm hearing that about the "meat" of the wake. However, I would also calculate that a heavier rider would ride a little faster then a smaller rider, in theory at least to float his board, and that extra speed would translate to more energy in the wake. That's my hypothesis at least.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-24-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
"I am thinking though that the smaller lighter guys have more of an advantage."

You are very correct... but the only flaw is about body strength and injuries. Let's say (and this is more or less true) all the pros go just as big as eachother. Who do you think is going to bust their knees first? The small, skinny guy, or guys in the physical shape of Rusty who train every single hour he is not riding, FOR riding?

If you have ever seen Rusty ride in real life, it really seriously makes you wonder "How the hell has this guy not busted both of his knees yet?" and then you look at the physical workouts he does, specifically training for those reasons. So yes, a bigger, stronger guy has to work harder to go as big. It's common sense that if I gained 50lbs right now and tried to wakeboard, I would not have the same results. But if I turned that 50lbs in to the right muscles, it would definately be a benefit in the long run, and that is what guys like Rusty and Danny have done.

^IMO, of course.

This is why I said "its not about the size, its how you use it". Rusty has to work a lot harder to get as much height as a 150lb person, but he turns his size around and makes it completely to his benefit. When other riders are busting their knees because they are not trained physically for the landings they will endure, Rusty will be riding forever. (knock on wood)

(Message edited by aden_g on November 24, 2006)