Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old    jason29            07-11-2006, 11:14 AM Reply   
this is my first posting.i am new to the sport,and very excited!i have gone out twice and now have a hyperlite motive.i am having a problem going to the right side over the wake,i ride left foot forward,and the board always seems to shoot out the front when i go over the wake.any help would be appreciated! by the way my fiannce just got a diva and is having a problem getting up.thank you for any help in advance
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-11-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
First, welcome! Second, both the Motive and the Diva are amazing beginner boards that will both carry you all the way to the expert level! Now the reason your sliding out while cutting toeside (edging out over your toes) is because your not digging that back (right foot) toeside edge into the water. When you edge out toeside your putting too much weight on the front foot which is allowing the tail edge, and fin, to come out of the equation while makes the board slip out the front.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       07-11-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
Hello there. Great to hear your fiancé is getting into wakeboarding too. See if she wants to go online and check out the "Girls That Ride" discussion board on Wakeworld.com and other discussion boards as well. Lots of nice people there to encourage her and help out.

Here's some of my ramblings that might help out your fiancé with getting up out of the water.

When you are being pulled forward and it's not quite time to get up, there will be a lot of water rushing over the top of your board. This is okay and you will eventually float up on top of the surface. Lots of times I've seen people see that their board is still under the surface and try to pull themselves up out of the water instead of letting the boat eventually pull them up and out. This often results in a face plant or the handle being torn out of your hands as you slowly fall forward.

A friend once told me to pretend you're (pardon my bluntness here) "taking a crap in the woods" as far as your posture goes. Okay, so it's not the best advice but funny nonetheless. Sqaut down was the point of that...I think?

You can also practice on land (take off the removable fins if applicable) with a friend playing the role of the boat and you sitting down on the carpeting or grass. As they pull you with the rope, let yourself and your board start to slide forward. Your butt will move forward towards your heels.
Old    jason29            07-11-2006, 12:54 PM Reply   
thank you for the help i am going out to barryessa on friday for a 4 day weekend and i will try to push down more on my back foot.i will let my fiance to read your tips and get her to go to the discussion group.thank you very much
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-11-2006, 1:08 PM Reply   
"the board always seems to shoot out the front when i go over the wake"

I'm reading his problem differently.

Sounds like too much weight on the back foot to me. There are a couple things that can cause this. As you go over the top of the wake, pin the hanlde against the back of your front hip, right at your butt. Then, bent your knees alot and get really low.

It kind of sounds like your not committing to it. Keep your weight distributed evenly across the center of the board so that you have more edge in the water, thus more traction.

Maybe practice some carving back and forth between the wake before you venture outside of the wake to dial in your technique.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-11-2006, 5:21 PM Reply   
Yea my tips were more about cutting toeside as opposed to cutting toeside down the wake.
Old    jason29            07-11-2006, 5:32 PM Reply   
ok thank you
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-11-2006, 5:40 PM Reply   
You still need to dig that back toeside edge into the water but while going down the wake you also need to keep your balance over the board as you go down so you dont tip over..
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-11-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
Jason the best thing to do is get some literature and or instructional videos. I see so many beginners going out there and trying crazy $#!* not Knowing how to do it properly.If you learn the right way and right technique you'll progress faster and enjoy the sport alot more.Good Luck!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-11-2006, 6:57 PM Reply   
To follow up on Marjee's advice for your fiancee, make sure she's not trying to turn her board before she's actually out of the water all the way. She wants to actually be up out of the water first, then turn her board; doing it too early can make you fall. HAVE FUN!!