Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-22-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
I'll be in Derby for work for two months (July/Aug) and would be interested in doing some riding while I am there. I remember a couple years ago reading about the lack of lakes that allow riding, but that there are cables. Any info would be appreciated!!

Also recommendations for weekend trips would be good as well.
Old     (jediknight)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-23-2006, 6:12 AM Reply   
Check out www.wakeboard.co.uk. Loads of info on where to ride and you'll find some hook ups on the forum. Derby is pretty central so you won't be too far from loads of places to ride.
Old    ukboarder            06-23-2006, 7:12 AM Reply   
the two best places for you to ride while in derby would either be church wilne watersports club or holme peirpoint cableski. church wilne run a nautique fully loaded with tower and perfect pass and charge per run. www.churchwilne.co.uk
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-26-2006, 9:41 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info!
Old     (brutto_76)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-27-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
Hi Tim, who do you work With? Rolls Royce, Bombardier and Toyota are the likely candidates in Derby. Is it one of those?

Be sure to call the cable at Holme Pierrpont (near Nottingham) before turning up as it is small and often fully booked. The telephone number is 0115 9821212.

If you like cable and have a car, it would be worth driving north up the M1 motorway (like a highway only faster) to Sheffield Cable - highly recommended. http://www.sheffieldcablewaterski.com/

Going south down the M1 is WakeMK at Milton Keynes. Again, well worth the trip. http://www.wakemk.com/

Either of these offer much more in the way of sliders etc. than the Nottingham cable.

Be prepared to be shocked at the cost of riding behind a boat over here. A fifteen minute set is around GBP22-25 behind the club boat at my local lake - that's around USD40-45!!!

Finally, get in touch when you are over and we'd be pleased to have you ride with us. We have a crappy boat and can't ride for sh** but we still have fun. We ride here: http://www.wmwaterski.com/ (btw, check out the webcam)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-27-2006, 9:23 PM Reply   
I'll be at Rolls Royce, and I'll definately look you up. I probably will not be bringing any gear along, do the cables there rent the equipment as they do at places such as OWC?
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-28-2006, 1:16 AM Reply   
tim, if your a serious wakeboarder i wouldn't go to church wilne or holme pierrepoint.

not saying holme is bad but its just not setup for serious wakeboarders. and altho' church have a nautique, their membership system isn't very effective, they'll charge an arm and a leg to ride there and its run by waterskiers through and through...... (whilst i'll probably get some argument back from this comment me and quite a few friends have had some very unecessary and rude responses when we tried to join their club also offering a number of other student clubs to join.

I would 100% recommend taking the 40minute trip up to sheffield cable as its got the best atmosphere in the UK for riders, also a little further (1hour) MK which is pretty similar to sheffield.

have fun! i was up in middlelands where i started my wakeboard career and loved it
Old     (brutto_76)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-28-2006, 2:04 AM Reply   
Tim, if you want to ride boat, try 1080 at http://www.wmwaterski.com/index.php?pageID=39

Nice set up and great blokes. You don't have to be a member. They have a lake to themselves (always good water unless it's really blowing) and a couple of Nautiques but only ever run one at a time. You can check them out on the webcam I mentioned before. Costs an arm and a leg but, hey this is the UK, you'll get used to it. When you get to go home, everything there will seem a bargain!

I forgot to mention that the cable places here have gear you can use but I'm not sure of the quality or price. Maybe harryhog can give you a heads up on this.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-28-2006, 2:41 AM Reply   
brutto, yeah rough prices for cable are pretty good. altho' mine vary up there cause i organise some events every once in a while and take some big groups along.
but if your a student its £12 for 3 hours, if not think its around £20 for 2-3 hours (these both vary from week to weekend, but get there during the week and you'll have more time and a free-er lake). i think kit rental is free during the week but may cost a tiny bit at weekends.

1080 is a new setup which has grown through the sudden boom of wakeboardin in the UK, its been setup by riders which makes a real difference. like Sheffield & MK...you can really tell by the atmosphere.

A quick plug-matt crowhurst is running the Air06 event up there on 8th-10th september! so be there, its gonna be sweet