Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-06-2006, 6:22 AM Reply   
My world is shattered... I now know that I'm a wakeboarding junky who's going through serious withdrawal.

My Name is Greg. I’m looking for anyone who needs a third in the Columbus area.
My Email is:
gmhdesign@hotmail.com

A few years back I boarded a couple times at Dillon Dam with Matt Vermillion and some of his friends… I’m wondering if he is still out there.

I’ve been a steady third for a single crew for over 4 years boarding 4-6 times a week and now they and their Tige’ have moved to Atlanta… I’m 27 if that matters to anyone. I know how to treat boats. I drove for my last crew, incase you’re looking for someone to drive for you. I always stay to help wipe down the boat and I always provide gas money. If I say I’m coming I always show. At the end of a season I always help clean and winterize the boat.

I work in Nelsonville but I can usually cut out of the office at 2:00pm on Fridays. I can make it from Nelsonville to Alum Creek in about an hour and a half through rush hour traffic.

I also drove one time for a guy named Jason at Hide Away Hills (New, Red and White Nautique with a pylon). If you’re out there Jason, you have probably noticed that the Tige’ is no longer hanging from the dock at the north end. Give me a shout if you read this and need a third.

Thanks.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-06-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
Greg,

Matt is a member of the Scioto boat club, I think he's out of town now - some lame excuse keeping him from wakeboarding, one year over due honeymoon I think. There also a few other crews at the boat club, some of the Mid Ohio Water Sports guys, did you mean Jesse?

I’ve got a pretty regular crew, we get out 2 – 3 per week, Monday, Thursday and a weekend day. I’m going out this Thursday primarily working on riding an Air Chair on that day. Other days I do a lot of surfing and wakeboarding.

Ed
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-06-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
WA MEETING #420

hi my name is nathan and i'm addicted to wakeboarding.
(crowd says, "hi nathan")
its been 3 days since i've last wakeboarded.
(small golf clap)
I feel the need to wakeboard everyday and everyday without it is so hard for me.
(leader says, "Thats what we're here for")
F*Ck YOU MAN!!! I'M going wakeboarding!
(backhands the leader on the way out the door)

SORRY, RANDOM THOUGHTS.
BUT HEY, DO YOU KNOW X-GIRL......SHE'S FROM OHIO.
Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-06-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
Ed:
Thanks for the info, I'll look up the Scioto boat club.

Normally I wouldn't post my # on a board but I'm desperate...

My Cell is 740-438-2862 if you ever want an extra rider for a weekend session feel free to give me a ring. I'm pretty easy going and I'm not a session hog I'll only ride for about 15 min. a set 20 max.

Nathan:

I don't think I have ever met X-Girl???
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-06-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
It's kind of a big state, never met X Girl.

Greg, I programmed your phone in my cell, you have email.

Ed
Old     (jhertz27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-06-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
Greg,

It's to bad you arent close to Toledo. We get out almost everyday on the Maumee River. If your ever in the area, give me a shout. Dont have a boat but my crew is cool about that stuff. E-mail me if you ever wanna ride.

Jake
Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-06-2006, 11:47 AM Reply   
Actually Jake,

my girlfriend is going to be getting her masters up in Chicogo over the next three summers. I might take a session or two with you guys on my way up to see here.... I'll keep you in mind...

Thanks for the support.

(Message edited by gmhdesign on June 06, 2006)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-06-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
I grew up in Maumee, the river is really good for boarding. Jake, where do you ride, between Maumee and Perrysburg, up further in Toledo or upstream of Mary-Jane Thurston?
Old     (jhertz27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-06-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
Ed,

We ride mostly by between Mary Jane and Napoleon. One of my buddies lives on the river by Turkey Foot. Another one of my buddies puts his boat in at Rossford.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-06-2006, 7:23 PM Reply   
Greg

Come over to Dayton to the NWL Event Sunday 6/25/06 and meet some new riders from the area. See link
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3320/329178.html?1149626615
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-06-2006, 7:44 PM Reply   
Not trying to hijack your guys post (sorry) but Id love to see some Ohio guys hook up over at www.midwestwakeboarder.com

We are supporting some events in your area ^ and maybe Ill need a pull when I come down!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-06-2006, 8:19 PM Reply   
Mike, I've seen the Mission to Ride this month on the 16th and 17th, and Chris Walker's NWL events on your site. I'll be in Dayton on the 25th. As soon as I firm up our title sponsor I'll have a press release for you for another Ohio event. Thanks for all of the support.

If your ever in town hit me up.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-06-2006, 8:39 PM Reply   
Will do, and I do get around, so dont forget you said it!
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-07-2006, 5:29 AM Reply   
Nathan LOL! Thats like asking a Canadian if they know Dave.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-07-2006, 5:48 AM Reply   
i had to try...
Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-07-2006, 5:50 AM Reply   
I used to slalom with the Ohio University Ski Team. My buddy was the captain for a couple of years… I think the University of Dayton may have used the Hydrobowl for their tournaments. That lake layout looks really familiar. I’ve never boarded in a tournament before. But I might like to try that out… I'll look up the details.

Ed Thanks for adding me to your crew I’ll get back to you via email…
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-07-2006, 6:51 AM Reply   
I met Chris Walker this spring at a USA Water Ski Safety Clinic. The Dayton event is going to be run by the Indiana Water SKi Association (IWSA). The IWSA looks like a really strong and well organized. Chris has been putting on completions for a number of years; I bet the Dayton comp will go off smoothly and be a lot of fun. I'm going to compete at the beginner level - my first competition and I want to see how Chris runs the show so I can pick up tips for running a competition in Columbus this August.

I'm looking forward to seeing what I can learn, see what everyone else is doing, and meet a few new boarders. Greg you should really consider going to the Dayton comp.

Greg we'll see you at the boat club - this Sunday?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-07-2006, 6:57 AM Reply   
X-Girl

My folks used to live near Henderson, or was it Hendersonville? Where did you live in Ohio?

I see in your profile that you’re riding a Substance 134. I bought one for my daughter this winter, but she’s not sure she likes it, preferring to ride my Balance 143. I think the Substance 134 is the right size for her, I’m guessing she weights about 110. What do you think about your board and how about her size relative to the size of the board?

Thanks!
Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-07-2006, 7:14 AM Reply   
Dayton sounds cool I'm gona mark it down on the calendar... Do we have to pre register??? Or can we just show and register at 8:00am...

Sunday is a yes for me. You'll see my email in your inbox. (Side note) have you ever heard of superfabric.com? I design Outdoor Gear and I thought you might know more about this stuff than I do??? If not you might want to hear about it.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-07-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
I think you can pre register by going to the USA Water Ski web site. I asked the question already and Chris said - hey this is wakeboarding just show up. See the events post.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3320/329178.html?1149648268
Old     (landon)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-07-2006, 11:27 AM Reply   
Edward, I used to ride with Kevin K. from the scioto boat club in Columbus. He used to ride air chair but I think he went back to his roots of bare footing. The scioto river is a great place to ride.

I also go up to the Maumee once in a while. It's a little drive but worth it.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-07-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
Edward, I used to reside in C Land, OH. Rode on Berlin Lake, Erie and the Hamilton River.
I like my Substance but now that everyone and thier grandma is riding the new Watson I get told that my board is rather heavy.
Im riding the 134 and im the same weight as your daughter but it seems like most girls prefer a longer board. I bet she'd really like one inbetween the two, like a 138 Watson.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-07-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
Landon,

Nice profile shot.

Kevin's bringing his Air Chair out on my boat tomorrow evening. It's really cool to watch him ride it. I've attempted to ride it on two other occasions. For me it's a lot like Mr. Toad's wild ride.

Kevin's still big on bare footing, but his new interests seem to be hydroplanes. He has a very sweet late 1950s vintage hydro and a newer enclosed cockpit boat.

1950s
Upload

Enclosed cockpit
Upload
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       06-07-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
Hey Ed, the Substance is a way different feeling board than the Balance. Are you sure it's the size she doesn't like about it? I rode a Substance 138 for the better part of a season and found it didn't suit my style. It's a much slower, 'looser' and more vertical board than the Balance. The Balance is much quicker and more 'locked in' feeling. I still ride a Balance 138.

That 143 is pretty huge for someone her size, too, but obviously rideable.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-07-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
Joe, I maybe had the center fins on the Balance for one week last year. I didn't like how locked the board felt with the 1.6 fins that it came with and without any fins was like riding a banana peal. I put four 0.9 fins on it for this season, gives the board a nice loose feel but some control when I want it.

I don't know she might have binding issues. Give what X said I think the board is close enough to the right size, I just think a 143 is huge for a 110 rider.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-07-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
Jake, riding almost everyday between Mary Jane and napoleon. You have to be the person I'm thinking of. Do you go by the name J? Did you take a pull from us behind a blue and white x-star last year? This might even be a pic of you I snapped last Sunday from all the way across the river.?
Upload

(Message edited by shutupandboard on June 07, 2006)
Old    Keith            06-07-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
Edward, tell Kevin we're long overdue to ride together.(Keith) I'll have to make the journey to Columbus one of these weekends. I'm getting much better air on my new ride.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-07-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
Will do. Kevin didn't Air Chair at all last year - took a year off, I think to recover. Should have seen the smile on his face when he was jumping like he never stopped.
Old     (jhertz27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-08-2006, 6:09 AM Reply   
Jeremy,

Thats awesome! Thats not me...but it is one of my buddies, his name is Jay and hes lives on the river. We ride just about everyday. He kills it. Nice pic by the way...from all the way accross the river!

(Message edited by jhertz27 on June 08, 2006)
Old     (jhertz27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-08-2006, 6:19 AM Reply   
Jeremy,

So which boat are you? Is your XStar blue and white? I'm sure i've seen you riding plenty of times. We should ride sometime for sure.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       06-08-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
Greg - I am from Toledo - Jake rides on my boat a lot. We also ride on Jay's boat.

Anyways - I have family in Columbus - in Westerville actually - I guess there is a dam on a river down there. I am planning on taking my boat down there sometime soon and would be willing to take you out.
Guys down there don't pull a wakeboarder well - nice to have another driver!

Like Jake said - if your in town - let us know...

Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-08-2006, 11:04 AM Reply   
Thanks Nate. Give me a call if your ever in town... My number is posted up there towards the top of this page...
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-09-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
Jake, Ya It's the blue and white XStar. It's not mine, It's my buddys, but I'm in it all the time.
We've gave Jay a pull a couple of times so I thought that picture was of him. I thought maybe you were him.
If you see me out. Flag me down sometime so I can take some closer pics of some real boarders!