Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (mcook77)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-01-2006, 4:35 AM Reply   
Having an issue that I could use some help with. I have a 2004 Moomba XLV. The swim platform is covered with a hard rubber type of material (non-porous).

When the platform has been in the sun for awhile in temps above 70 and then gets wet, it will track a black substance from someones feet onto the cushions. The boat is stored outside and that will not change.

I realize that I could probably start covering the platform with something when storing and that could help but really looking to see if anyone knows about some type of fluid/coating that I could put on the platform that would prevent this. Have also thought about LineX or Rhino lining but afraid that would make it tough on the feet for people on the boat and possibly make it slick when putting on boards, etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Michael
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-01-2006, 4:41 AM Reply   
I had the same problem...

I sprayed the crap out of it with simple green and scrubbed it hard with a stiff bristle scrub brush. Have not had the problem since...
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-01-2006, 6:00 AM Reply   
Micheal, I had the same problem on my old 02 Outback.

I ended up replacing the padding with traxx that I ordered from airjunky.com. It looked great and I never had a problem again.

Hoping my 05 Supra SSV does not have the same problem.

Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   
I have heard good things about Rhino linder man...one of the dudes on the tige forum did it, and says that he loves it. I would go ahead and try a bit out on a piece of wood or something, and see what you think.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-01-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
Line-X...

No more cuts, scuffs, or scratches.
Old     (mcook77)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-01-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I like the idea of doing like a Line-X/Rhino if it is not too hard on skin.

Anyone been on a platform with Line-X or Rhino? If so, how is it on feet, arms, knees, etc? Having kids climbing on/off the boat so have to ensure that it is comfortable for all.

Just called both local dealers and they are each $4-5 per square foot...so only like $50 or $60 and its permanent (unlike having to scrub or replace Traxx because of wearing/fins cutting, etc).

Thanks!!
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-01-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
I remember a post a couple years ago where Skiers Choice replace some platform covers due to that problem. You might want to ask your dealer or call Skiers Choice warrenty line.
Old     (caffeineguy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-01-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
I had the same problem. Ordered GatorGrip from Wakejunky.com. Works great!
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-01-2006, 8:30 AM Reply   
I thought aboutn the lie-x on the platform at first, but when I climb into the back of my truck (that has a linex bed) it does not feel so good on the knees...
Old     (md5150)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
Insuranceman....

You probably will have that problem...my 05 SSV does. I've been pondering a fix as well.
Old     (mcook77)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-01-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
I have to admit that I am a bit surprised that it is happening on the 05 models as well. I am sure it was brought up previously from 04 model owners. At this point, I am kinda waiting to see SC chime in
Old     (md5150)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2006, 9:56 AM Reply   
Great idea, would love to hear SC's take...

Until then, I'll keep cleaning my 2 little ones' footprints of my interior.
Old     (outbackls)      Join Date: May 2004       05-01-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
I really don't think SC will chime in on this topic. This has been discussed on the Moomba board since 2003 and I can't recall any answer other than SC changed the material the pad was made of. This has helped my new '05 but it has not been a complete solution. As others have indicated, if you scrub the pad with a cleaner several times a year it will lessen the effect.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-01-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
When I first bought my 2000 Mobius last year, it had this problem. I cleaned it really well and after many trips to the lake I haven't had a problem again. I do store my boat in the garage.

If you are keeping the boat outside, try taking the platform off and storing it in the boat under the cover. I take my platform off after every trip. It only takes a second to remove/replace.

Hope this helps,
Jman
Old     (hcaggie22)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-01-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
Keep it covered when you are not in the water and scrub it with normal car wash soap after you go out and it will stop happening the same thing happend to me on an 05 lsv covering it and keeping it out of the sun stopped it
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-01-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
FYI - I have a simillar issue on my 2005 X2 trailer, I noticed the trailer step pads do the same when wipin her down after pulling her out as well as this weekend when I gave her a was n wax. It's not so bad as it's only on my trailer and not the swim deck so I can live by scrubbN her down a lil & living with it. Sundeck is more of an issue, I agree....

Lzy