Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-12-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
did anyone read the new Wakeboard Mag. article about Rusty? In one of his quotes, he said something like "My daddy didn't buy me an $80,000 boat and a condo in orlando." Is that a direct rip on Froggy? Just curious.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-12-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
He didn't say it to put down anybody at all, he said it to prove how hard he worked for where he is now.
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-12-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
Phillip still lives with his family, and he's been sponsored by Nautique for a least 5 years. He's not paying for a boat.

There is a lot of affluence in thge sport of wakeboarding and a lot of kids get major assistance from their 'rents. There is certainlky nothing wrong with that, but Rusty was merely verbalizing that his path travelled was not an easy one. Rusty is a very modest guy who has worked very hard to get where he is.
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-12-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
Sorry,, I forgot to add that was not a dig Rusty took at Phillip.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-12-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
I agree. Not a rip.

On the other hand, I like the whole Shapiro and Froggy thing. Very cool.

Sick cover shot by the way.

I thought it was cool also that we were just chilling with Jeff House at Spring Ride, then I get home, open up WBM and there he is in a QS add.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-12-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
Question: If its true is it a dig?

Kind of off subject but Shawn Palmer used to talk lots of smack and he used to say "it ain't bragging if you can back it up" Do you think this is true?

Some times I think we look to close at every word that come out of these people's mouth. It kinda makes them IMO watch what they say and them only say P.C. statments
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-12-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
I would agree with Grant here. It would be so annoying to get quoted on everything and then here about how someone took what you said. I understand Rusty's was a mag interview...but still. These guys/girls are riders, and that's it.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-12-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
Rusty's super chill and respects the sport and everyone in it, no dig on Philp.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-12-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
I didn't take it as a rip either. If you look at the top professionals in our sport, most of them came from affluent families. These kids grew up on a lake and most likely had a boat of some sort their whole life. I would venture to say that most wakeboarding families are in the upper 10% of income earners in this country. Remember, you only have to have a combined income over 100K to make it to the top 10%. Rusty simply didn't have that advantage.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
Why would people assume it is a dig on Soven? That could just as easily have been a dig on somebody like Harf, no? I'm sure there are plenty of others. But I'm assuming he would not really have any interest in insulting his friends and peers, how would this help his cause? And it seems out of character, although I don't know him. More likely just standing up for all his hard work, which seems deserved.

I also liked the Shapiro/Soven thing. Do you suppose they are implying that Soven will become unbeatable (overall) on tour the way that Darin was for so many years?
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
Well stated, Hahn.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-12-2006, 10:51 AM Reply   
Nah....not at all. I've been around Rusty a lot, and he's as down to earth as they come. In fact...I'd say he's the nicest Pro Athlete I've ever had the pleasure of knowing, and I've met a lot of them....from MX to NASCAR, and a few stick and ball guys as well! It was exactly as the others stated in their posts....Rusty came from a hard working family background and not a house on the lake with no responsibilities. Not to say that folks with houses on the lake didn't work hard for them....I'm working my butt off right now for that in the near future hopefully. Rusty would be the LAST guy to disrespect a fellow competitor.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-12-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
I still haven't got my copy in the mail yet...
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-12-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
so are their any rivalries in wakeboarding, like boarders that dont like other boarders or different spoonsorship politics, or is it always friendly competition
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-12-2006, 1:08 PM Reply   
Kind of off subject but Shawn Palmer used to talk lots of smack and he used to say "it ain't bragging if you can back it up" Do you think this is true?

shaun palmer is a god! and he's right, it's fine to talk smack but you better be able to back it up. i talk a fair bit of smack, but only about things i know i can do well. you will never hear me say i'm a great wakeboarder, cause i know i suck, but i will say i'm a great snowboarder :-)

there is nothing wrong with being cocky and being proud of your acheivements. no one loves to talk smack more than me :-)
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-12-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
Sure there are rivalries...there's all the females and then there is Dallas. Just kidding really, but that seems to be the only time I have ever heard of riders not really getting along.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-12-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
i think iv heard that chad sharpe really doesnt like phillip, after phil winning the x games and it should of been chad.

but i dont know thats just what i have heard
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-12-2006, 2:58 PM Reply   
I totally respect Rusty for getting to the level he is and having to work as hard as he has to get there. As far as Phillip goes, he is a rare talent and has had support from day one from his family, but it takes alot more then support from your family and a 80,000 dollar boat to get to his level. I know alot of riders that have the same support from there family that are not even close to his level of riding. Its all about how hard you work and how bad you want it IMO.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2006, 3:18 PM Reply   
Jeff, I agree with you on many levels, but I think the point is this: God-given talent is required for one to have the potential to be a great wakeboarder. But if one has a lake in one's back yard, family boat waiting, and pop's credit card to keep the tank full, then the God-given potential is significantly more likely to become actualized. In contrast, if one is not born into such an advantaged situation, then the God-given talent may never have the opportunity ever to come out, or at least it is a lot less likely. Or perhaps that person must work much harder. I agree that "how bad you want it and how hard you work" are crucial elements, but it's not simply "all about" that, there are other variables.

And I'm not knocking Soven, I think it's cool how he has grown up to realize his "destiny" of sorts, rather than getting off trck, which is so easy to do. You're right, tons of others have had the same opportunities but have not been able to achieve what he has.

(Message edited by dococ on April 12, 2006)
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-12-2006, 3:53 PM Reply   
Yes I agree with you that there are other variables. But IMO working hard and having the drive to get to a pro level is whats going to get you there. Not the boat the lake house and the gas card, but you are right it dosent hurt.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       04-12-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
My Daddy didn't buy me a boat, I did not grow up with one either. So, when I finally bought my first one it was deeply satisfying; probably only a fraction of what it would feel like to not only own a boat but to win a tour contest as well. I think Rusty is only reflecting on feelings of satisfaction that can only come from hard work. It is only more amplified when you start out life incredibly far from 10 season months.

Give Rusty a break, many first time boat owners could relate to what it feels like to work hard and sacrifice just to get out on the water. Rusty could be the pro who relates to the regular guys, mohawk and all.

Kids I know with too much time and money hardly ever turn out good, let alone world class athletes. I'm sure Rusty wouldn't trade it for the world.
Old     (cool_dude)      Join Date: May 2004       04-12-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
On the original wakeboarding with Darin Shapiro on the cover...I want to have his abs. I espically like how I ride on close to the same gear he did then...it's not that bad.

Spanke out
WOOOOOOOOP
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-12-2006, 8:37 PM Reply   
Rusty is just saying he worked hard to get where he is today. While its true having money can help, there is no substitute for being driven to succeed. Rusty and Phillip are both driven. I lived with Phillip when he was 7 years old. It wasn't that he lived on a lake and had a boat. The kid had raw talent and focus. He could have been good at any sport. Money or no money both Rusty and Phillip are talented and thats what got them to where they are today.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       04-13-2006, 2:57 PM Reply   
Hey Matt (Machew) Does that make him a REAL wakeboarder? Just Kidding!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-13-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
I find it hard to believe that there is a Pro out there that didn't get help from someone, be it parents, friends or whatever while they were getting from beginner to being a Pro level rider. All the God given talent in the world won't help if you don't get enough boat time. And let's face it the Pros of tomorrow are currently 5-6 year olds who live on a lake somewhere and whose parents are grooming them to be Pros from day one. By the time an average guy can afford his own boat and gas he's too old and has too many responsibilities to even think about being a Pro (and probably has kids anyway so why not let them take all the punishment! :-)

A buddy of mine spends the entire weekend at a different track every week with his 9 year old son who evidently has some talent. (along with a full blown motorhome and 3 race bikes) Doesn't seem much different to me! If he doesn't invest that kind of time in his son now there will be no way his kid could ever think about being a top level rider.

Some guys have had more advantages then others but they all had to work damn hard to get to and maintain at that level.

I also think Pro wakeboarders are being ripped off when you look at the $ being made in other sports so when I see any Pro I see a person who loves the sport first and foremost.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-13-2006, 8:32 PM Reply   
Rich, there is one person out there that has done it at a older age. Gerry Nunn I think he turned pro at 28 and I think he is 36 now. I think he was a school teacher before for he followed his dream.

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-13-2006, 8:55 PM Reply   
I don't think Ricky G. started wakeboarding until he was 20 or so as well. It was still a young sport in the 90's but that's changing quickly. I question if Gerry could break in at that age now and make a living at it (as good as he is). The physical demands have gone up porportionately along with the size of the wakes and the quality of the equipment.

It's going to be a question of who can survive it soon!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-13-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
Rich, I agree with you on that one. Bigger wakes longer line = more breakage. Look at your son that was a freak crash but it would put a 28 year old out for a long time. Its kinda like skaters now seems like they haft to go big and hit huge rails and get broke off. I would love to see some more Josh Smith and Rich Faccino riders come up. But its just way to hard for them to make it. Bylery made it so some riders could free ride and be in videos.

But now it seems to be changing again and going back to the comp riders to make it as a pro rider.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       04-15-2006, 3:20 PM Reply   
Howie, I'm not sure I fully understand, but yes the mohawk does increase a rider's street credit.

I'll be growing one just to justify owning my boat (since my riding seldom does).
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       04-15-2006, 6:01 PM Reply   
Machew: Do you work for Santa Clara County Fire?
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       04-15-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
Yep.

So I guess that means no goatees, ethnic tufts, or mohawks (except on 4 days).
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       04-15-2006, 7:50 PM Reply   
So....My sister said that you told her son "If you want to see real Firefighters, dont go to San Jose". Guess where I work? THAT is what the REAL wakeboarding comment meant.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       04-15-2006, 8:11 PM Reply   
I was wondering how long that would take.

She was talking about "Uncle Howie", and it's just too small of a world to be coincidence! Did you get the sticker badges I sent with him? I told him to put them all over his uncle's boat.

By the way did you live in Kern County?
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       04-15-2006, 8:19 PM Reply   
Sweet! Yeah! I used to live in Lake Isabella. The stickers never made it to the boat, but thanks for the thought. They said you were really nice to them, I appreciate it. We have GOT to get together this summer for a good session. What shift are you? I am the "C" shift here, I dont know how that lines up with you guys.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       04-15-2006, 8:55 PM Reply   
I'm "A" the same as your C so should be perfect this summer!! Always looking for a 3rd, the house next door just sold and the guy who moved in works for Menlo and has a LSV. We should be able to hook up for sure (and ride behind some good boats).
Are you heading up for the DiscoBay boat show 5-20 to 5-21? Bring your family.

I grew up in Bakersfield and might know a few people you know, small world.