Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-03-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
Just bought my first boat! Its an 83 Supra. I have grown up around I/Os but this will be my first experience with an inboard so I was wondering if anybody could give me some pointers? Mainly what kind of maintanence it will need, handling differences, and anything else I should look out for when I take her out. Thanks!
Upload
Upload
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-03-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
congrats... you must be excited!!!!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-03-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
They don't steer at slow speeds that well until you get use to the throttle use. Reverse wont steer at all. Congrats on the boat. I bet it throws a nice wake.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-03-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
Not too shabby for a first boat, enjoy it. Take it easy when learning to dock. I had an I/O first and thought that it was pretty easy to dock, when I got the inboard it took a little learning but it gets easier. As Paul said, you have to keep some water moving across the rutter to have any steering input, so you will have to learn how to use the throttle along with the wheel to steer at slow speeds.
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-03-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
NICE, i just got my first inboard too(86 Supra Comp). I kinda wish i could have got a rider, those things have so much room.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-03-2006, 12:35 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice. I am so excited...I cant wait to get it out on the water.
Old    discolafinger            04-03-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
nice ride, you will have good time in it
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-03-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
For a boat that old, it looks really clean and well-taken care of. Have a blast with it. You will get use to it soon enough, and should notice a great improvement with the wake over the I/O.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-03-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
the biggest adjustment when going from an IO to and inboard is the slow speed control. I could control my IO like it was an extention of my body. Reverse is a bitch.

That's some nice interior for an 83! Be sure to keep it covered. One summer leaving it uncovered and the interior will be cracking and coming apart left and right.

That's kind of odd that the trailer doesn't have the guide posts on the side of it. I'd be concerned about the rear end sliding over and prop striking the trailer. I guess just be careful putting it on the trailer. It maybe best to leave the trailer as far out of the water as you can, and use the boat to power it up and onto the trailer.

Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-03-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
Right On Bro,

CONGRATS, I have seen quite a few of the older Supra's out on the water & they seem to throw out a good wake from far. Looking @ the hull shape, looks like you could SAC it out & make a meaty wake - good luck.

Lzy
Old    monair            04-03-2006, 1:52 PM Reply   
Spend a couple of hours tossing your floatable PFD into the water and practice retrieving and then "docking" next to it. The slow speed maneuvering will really help you figure out the difference between an inboard and your old I/O.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-03-2006, 2:37 PM Reply   
I will definately spend some time in open water gettting a feel for how it handles at slow speed. I like the idea about tossing out the floatable and manuvering the boat around it. I had actually thought of doing that to help my wife learn how to bring the rope back to a downed rider.

The interior is in great shap for as old a boat as it is...the previous owner took really good care of it and added a lot of improvements. It has a good snap on cover so hopefully it will stay in good shape even though I have to leave it outdoors for the time being.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-03-2006, 3:39 PM Reply   
Looks good! It will handle much better than a i/o. I would check the impeller and all fluids before going out. Look into getting some trailer guides they are a big help. That boat is huge. The wake should be nice.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-03-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
It will definitely be a little tricky to get it on the trailer without the guide poles, I didn't notice that at first, but as said above, leave the trailer kind of shallow so that you can see the bunks and that should help.
Old     (tjdunn)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-03-2006, 6:33 PM Reply   
Cool boat man! It is nice to see things that have taken care of! Just switched to an inboard myself and it definately doesn't steer as good at slow speeds!