Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-27-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
This was on a '98 Malibu VLX, but should be similiar for just about any boat. I also made an effort to use just basic tools so it could be reproduced.--

Allright, I started with a locking swivel from West marine ($20) & two sheets of .25" plate aluminum 10.5" x 13" ($20) from a local aluminum fab. shop. I used stainless steel fasteners so pretty much everything is corrosion resistant.-

I marked & drilled holes for the bottom plate using the seat as a template. I used the bottom as a template for the top plate as they both would be the same. I first tried the swivel just back from center but didn't have enough clearance so I moved it all the way to the rear of the plates-

I was concerned about stability in the forward position so I added a roller to the front of the assembly between the plates. I had this already but I'm sure you can pick them up at a local supply warehouse.-

The total height added is around 1.5" (Just what my VLX needed)-

I did some minor touch up work that I didn't take pictures of but this should give you an idea of the basics. I also had to notch the seat base above each fasteners so it would sit flush. In the forward driving position it is rock solid. It does have a bit of vertical movement when swiveled to the side but I can live with that. I am keeping an eye open for a better swivel possible from a different industry as it is the weak point.

Much better-(no the speaker belong there)

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2006, 5:30 PM Reply   
Nice,I was thinking of doing something similar but I would have lost a lot of cockpit space due to having to move my seat more towards the middle to clear the throttle.

That is really a weird way to have your sub box.Doesn't it get it the way?
Old     (future)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-27-2006, 5:43 PM Reply   
nice work
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-27-2006, 6:02 PM Reply   
agreed on nice work.... wanna build me one
Old    mendo247            01-27-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
awesome job man!! might need to add that to my project list..
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-27-2006, 10:23 PM Reply   
Thanks!
Ed, ha! The speaker really doesn't belong there. It was originally next to the seat but was in the way. I am going to find another place for it, just hadn't when I to the pictures.

You should be fine as long as you have a couple of inches between the seat and the throttle. You just offset the pivot to the rear, if that wasn't enough offset it slightly towards the center of the boat. It would then pivot off- axis. Heck, this mod was cheap enough if it didn't work I was really out much. About $60 and a couple of hours including "design".........
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-28-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
I might want to re measure then,but I'm pretty sure that you can get away with it b/c your beam is like 98?,mine is 90 so there is like 8 inches differents.
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-28-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
Sweet, you just inspired me to do the same. In fact I just purchase new slides, the old one were trashed. So a couple pieces of aluminum and I am good to go. Once again great job.
Andrew