Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (davey_boy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-15-2005, 9:51 PM Reply   
Ok, I think I've found my boat! I rode behind a weighted Supra 21V today and man that wake was awesome! It was fairly steep, but not so steep that it felt like hitting a wall (my current wake can feel that way). The boat was configured with stock ballast full plus an additional 1500 pounds of ballast (mostly in the middle), 3 people in the boat and the wake plate set at 1/2. It was by far the best wake I've ever ridden, but to be fair, I haven't ridden on that many boats fully weighted down like that. My friend that was with me said I was getting a good 1-2 feet higher than I normally do behind my current boat and it felt that way to me as well. Was very easy to get used to and perform well on this wake...I predict great things in the future riding behind this wake. :-)

I did a test ride behind a vride a couple of weeks ago with just factory ballast and the wedge. The difference between that and this boat was night and day. I know that's not a very fair comparison, but I really don't think even if the vride was weighted similar I would like the wake as much as I did the supra...it was just too rampy and mellow, and it didn't give me the same lift up into the air. I guess I've determined that I don't like rampy wakes.

Anyway, I was already a fan of the interior of the Supra and everything else other than handling seems better to me on the Supra than the vride, so I think this test ride seals the deal for me as long as I can get a reasonable price (as far as new wakeboard boat prices can be considered reasonable). Can anyone give me an idea of where I should be at for a decent deal? From the web page, retail price for a Supra 21v is 45.6k base and 49k with the options I want (heater, cover, binimi, PP, wakeboard prop, and water strainer.) I'd like to be at least under 43k before tax and fees which means about 12% off. Is that an unreasonable expectation? I'll probably be dealing during the upcomming boat show if that helps.

Also, Supra by default includes the trailer with the boat, but I'm considering getting the trailer credit instead as I keep my boat on the lake and thus far with my current boat I've never used a trailer. In fact, at the moment, I don't even own a vehicle that could pull a boat. Assuming I don't get the trailer, what's a fair deal in terms of a credit? For Malibu, which also included a trailer in the prce they said 1800, but that always seemed a little low to me since the boats that don't include trailer in the price always list them between 3-4k. I can see how there's some mark up but 50%?

Old     (amonteroman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-16-2005, 6:27 AM Reply   
I just ordered my 06 21V, 340 hp, flush kit, docking lights, tonneau and cock pit cover, transom remote, pp wakeboard pro, heater, dual battery, tower mirror, cover, bimini and the trailer with led lighing, aluminum wheels, stainless tongue, guide pole covers and aluminum step plates, 50K OTD.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-16-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
Wait for the boat shows. You can usually get 10%-15% off what they would offer after the show.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-16-2005, 5:15 PM Reply   
Welcome to the club. Price is hard to really tell you cause it is different in each part of the country and time of year. Really need to list out all options though.... Good luck!!
Old     (davey_boy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-16-2005, 7:07 PM Reply   
Thanks. Boat show in Austin is Jan 12-15. I'll see what they have going at the show and probably make my move then.
Old     (robert_t)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-16-2005, 7:29 PM Reply   
Welcome. You may want to wait until Supra lists their boat specials and go back to the dealer that should be any time. I bought my boat this time last year and got a nice deal. Order the boat and make them give all options at cost on top of what Supra is giving at the shows. You will really like the boat. Good luck
Old     (billm)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-17-2005, 8:59 AM Reply   
Which engine are you going for? I am still torn between the 325 and the 340. There will be some boat show specials-you will get to choose a few free options off of a list.
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-17-2005, 9:54 AM Reply   
I have the 325 HP motor in my 21V, and here's what I've found. Fully Loaded (2200 lbs) with 3 people and the stock prop it takes a long time to plane. With the WB prop, it gets out of the hole much faster. The 340 is nice, but IMO the 325 with the WB prop is perfect.
Old     (davey_boy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-17-2005, 7:47 PM Reply   
My plan was to go with the WB prop and 325 engine...looks like Tom's experience supports that which is good. Bill, do you know what other options are available for free? This is all the options I planned on getting: heater, cover, binimi, PP, wakeboard prop, water strainer. I might get the tonneau cover as well for winter use, but wasn't planning on getting anything else. So, I hope whatever is free could come from that list. PerfectPass would be a nice free one. :-)

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-18-2005, 8:11 AM Reply   
las year it was something like pick 3:
perfect pass
3 yr warranty
bimini
heater
shower
tower speakers
Sub?
and a few other options.... can't really remember
I agree with the 325 being fine if you have the wakeboard prop... Ith has been fine for us.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-18-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
You guys keep mentioning the WB prop. But I don't see that on the option list. Is it a special request option?
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-18-2005, 9:22 AM Reply   
If you tell your dealer that you want the WB prop, they should be able to add it to your bill. Or, you can buy it at Wakeside for $350.

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/acme_v_drive_4_blade_propellers_supra/acme_4_blade_propeller_857

Make sure to get a prop puller with it.
Old     (davey_boy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-18-2005, 11:39 AM Reply   
The wakeboard prop shows up if you price a boot out on the web site. Wakeboard CNC prop: $95.

Has anyone heard much about the EZ drive speed control from Supra? I just heard about it and I'm wondering if it's a good cheaper alternative to perfect pass or not.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-18-2005, 1:39 PM Reply   
David,
If push comes to shove, don't do any options until you have perfect pass first. It will save many friendships.
Old     (robert_t)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-18-2005, 2:00 PM Reply   
David
I was able to get a Bimini, Tonneau cover, Cock pit cover, Supra cover and Three year warranty. If I remember right the prop was included. Hey good luck with working your dealer, ask for everything that's what we did.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-18-2005, 5:05 PM Reply   
David - EZ drive speed control is an RPM only based cruise control. It comes standard with all 06 Supra's. Its a feature that Indmar provides because of the new throtle by wire system that comes with MPFI. Because its RPM based it will cruise, pull recreational skiers and tubers well. However if you pull using full ballast the RPM system does not do well because speed can varry greatly depending upon wakeplate position, fuel, ballast, amount of passangers and thier placement, and pull from the rider due to good skill level. Perfect Pass allows you to switch to and from RPM and Speed. Speed based is affected by higher speeds like 30mph and water chop. This is why good skiers use the RPM systems in the slalom course instead of speed. So if you gonna fill those bags often get the PP.

Bill - The $95 CNC WB Prop upgrade will do much more for you getting you the best holeshot with a weighted boat than the $1295 engine upgrade. The 325 with the WB prop will come out of the hole quicker than the 340 with the standard prop. However I run the 340 because mostly the altnernator is upgraded from 70amp to 90amp which suites the needs of my sound system. Secondly, the ETX exhaust sounds great and breaths a little better giving slightly better GPH. Also Im the kinda guy that just wants all I can get. For the average guy the 325 works well.

(Message edited by redsupralaunch on December 18, 2005)