Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old    aflefkov            12-02-2005, 11:02 AM Reply   
I have seen several pics over the years of people trailering their motorcycle on their boat trailer. I am not talking about a third trailer, but an extension on the boat trailer so you can trail the bike perpendicular to the boat.

One example is from Neil Fett (bigasswake)

I am planning a two-month trip from Indiana to California hitting up at least Lake of the Ozarks, Powell, Tahoe, Lake Havasu, and maybe Shasta or any other cool lake along the way, and would really like to bring my dirtbike.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get my bike on the back of my trailer, please fill me in.

Thanks

Old    powaman            12-03-2005, 8:56 PM Reply   
Weld a hitch reciever to the rear crossmember on the trailer. Then you can make a rack to go in there or buy one.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2005, 10:38 PM Reply   
If I had that Harley I would have the wife tow the boat and I would ride the bike!!
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-03-2005, 11:38 PM Reply   
i agree with paul
Old    aflefkov            12-04-2005, 3:48 PM Reply   
Travis: Since I have a v-drive he crossmember is nothing more than a prop guard that sits a few inches off the ground. I need to build something that swings out of the way that attaches to the main frame of the trialer.

Paul and Clinton: I may be taking this trip alone, I don't have a wife, and 2200 miles is a pretty long trip on a 400cc dirt bike :-)
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-05-2005, 7:17 AM Reply   
What about riging it to the back of your truck at the bumper? You could weld another reciever to your existing and install a track for the bike above the trailer arm. Just a thought.

Paul, Don't you mean you would have your wife pull the boat while you stayed home and worked on the Harley?
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-05-2005, 8:02 AM Reply   
ooowwwwwwww.... low blow for the harley people!! actually the wife would have no problem following along-just follow the oil trail.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-05-2005, 1:03 PM Reply   
One concern that I would have about putting a significant amount of weight behind the boat is that it would make a dramatic change to tongue weight and could really impact the stability of the trailer.

How heavy is the dirt bike, 300 lbs?

Something that you might want to consider is taking your rig to a local trailer / welding shop and having something custom made. I can envision a rack built up over the boat, behind the tower that would allow you to carry the bike on top of the boat.

There is a rig that I see launch at my marina from time to time that has a pair of PWC above the ski boat. The PWCs are on a hydraulic operated rack so that they are low to the boat for towing. To launch they jack the PWCs Up, then get the ski boat out from underneath. Then the PWCs are lowered and taken off.

Like others have said, you might be better off carrying the bike on the car. I have seen arrangements where people have put a rack to hold a small street bike on the FRONT of the tow vehicle...
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-05-2005, 1:40 PM Reply   
I inquired with Boat Mate trailers.... and this is a custom trailer...
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-06-2005, 11:46 AM Reply   
Rod,

Regarding ". . .put a rack to hold a small street bike on the FRONT of the tow vehicle..."

Can you imagine what would happen if that fell off while crusing down the road at 70 mph?
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-06-2005, 12:43 PM Reply   
I've also seen a few RV's with a motorcycle on the front of the vehicle. Of course it would be a mess if it fell off. It'd be just as big of a mess if it fell off the back and hit another car. I'm hoping wherever you mount it it is secure and won't fall off.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-06-2005, 2:44 PM Reply   
The picture is Dave Briscoe's www.thewakeboardcoach.com Boatmate made the trailer custom for his Supra Summer Tour. He said they did not want to make it an option for liability concerns. That policy might have changed.
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-06-2005, 4:43 PM Reply   
David,

Point well taken, it should be very well secured no matter where it is mounted. It's just if it fell off of your front mounted vehicle, you would have no idea what hit you.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-07-2005, 9:49 AM Reply   
The better question is what do you tow with? 3/4 ton? 1 ton? Pickup? SUV? If it is a heavy duty rig then you can add two receivers in the rear for the bike then get a lenghtened hitch for a camper. You would be looking at around a $1000 to have someone build everything for you. Can you build it yourself? Putting it on the front is not going to work as a dirt bike is too tall and would obstruct your view (Read illegal).
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-07-2005, 7:00 PM Reply   
Has anyone asked why he doesn't put the HOG in the bed of the truck?
Old     (hyperlite1622)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-18-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
ya i have seen some trailers that have seadoos somehow on the trailer in the front we were thinking abotu doin it but became to expensive