Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-10-2005, 6:28 AM Reply   
I just wanted to see what the concences is on Boat US/West Marine pricing. I purchased 3 jabsco pump puppys and they wanted $270 per pump. I found the same pump for $170 per pump. I also perchased 16 (3/4) hose clamps which Boat US/West Marine wanted $1.89 a piece. I found the same clamps for $.89 per clamp. The last straw was a Perco bilge drain that the wanted $58 for and I found the same drain for $30. Now West Marine said that they would match pricing, but come on, Your the Largest parts dealer in the USA and your ripping people off. Even with the money they give you for shopping at the store, Their prices are just way too high.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-10-2005, 7:45 AM Reply   
then dont shop there?

west marine is and always has been a place for people with very large vessels to shop, and if you can afford a 60ft sail/yacht boat then Im sure the convenience of a place that has pretty much everything you need is worth it to some.

If its not worth it to you to shop around and have them price match.....I would suggest not shopping there, not calling the place a ripoff for making a profit.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-10-2005, 8:21 AM Reply   
Ryan
They are a rip off. I have a west marine and a boaters world with in 5 miles of me and find that 100% of the time boaters world has the same item cheaper.
Old    obsurfer            11-10-2005, 9:12 AM Reply   
Yeah ryan stop calling large retail shops rip offs. They can drive prices up,push wages down. Because we can save the U.S. if everybody just works for less money!
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-10-2005, 9:36 AM Reply   
^lol

Ryan, need we remind you that this is America - they should be allowed to charge whatever they want...just like the strugling oil companies.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-10-2005, 10:23 AM Reply   
I'll always shop there. I have never found a place that price matches as easily as them. Always no questions asked, just bring the print out of the web page.
Old    fl_girl            11-10-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
West marine and Boaters world are way over priced. I can go a mile further down the road to The Bass Pro shop and always find cheaper prices.
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-10-2005, 12:42 PM Reply   
Thats pretty bad if BassPro is cheaper than your store. BP is one of the higer priced places in OKC.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-10-2005, 1:29 PM Reply   
Ironically, Boat US as an insurance company is pretty inexpensive. Way less (like half) State Farm.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-10-2005, 4:33 PM Reply   
Boating is not an activity for the poor.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-10-2005, 4:54 PM Reply   
I'm not saying that a company shouldn't make a profit, but for one of the largest marine shops in the US. You would think that their prices would be competetive with the smaller independent boat shops. And Mike, I guess I don't know what to call it when a store is charging 300-400 percent over other stores mark ups. Profit? Maybe? Rip Off? Yes!!!!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-10-2005, 5:36 PM Reply   
You would be better off spending your money at an establishment (local shop) that supports our sport, anyway.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-10-2005, 6:19 PM Reply   
West Marine in Palo Alto sucks. The manager ufck is a total dumb ass.

I ask for 1 foot of pipe so he makes a sloppy cut right at 1 foot. I ask him to do it over and give me a little extra so I can clean up his cut. He says you will have to pay for the extra. I say OK.

I go to the counter to buy a Jabsco Ballast Puppy and he proceeds to take the fill/empty switch out of the box. I say, hey what are you doing. He says the switch does not belong in this box. I say but I have another pump bought at another West Marine with the switch in the car. He asks me to get that pump out of the car so he can take the switch out of that box too. I say no way. Leave the store and buy the pump with switch at another west marine.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-10-2005, 6:32 PM Reply   
WHat was the switch doin gin the box if it wasnt suppsed to be there?
Old    djjstylz            11-11-2005, 3:08 AM Reply   
If there is somewhere else to shop for cheaper, why not go there? If there was no where else to shop, then yes maybe they would be a rip off. Plenty of places for everyone to shop around for prices. Prices are high because people are paying the prices. West marine caters to the high end crowd with larger boats. If they start losing numbers, they would bring down "some" prices but never all. If I think anyone is charging too much, I just don't buy it there. If you don't like what's on the radio, don't you change the channel. GD did the right thing and took his dollars elsewhere. I don't want any of this to sound harsh or anyone to take it personal, but isn't it a simple solution.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-11-2005, 3:18 AM Reply   
I actually worked for West Marine for a summer, and yes, the relative prices for the product is a lot more than other places... however, much of the time, the location is key and saves those who are located in marinas (bay area, I was in the Oakland store near Jack London). I never looked into the insurance that we were supposed to push all the time since my parents were on top of our stuff, so I'm ill-informed about the insurance, especially since it was like 3 years ago. Anyway, West Marine is a very honest company and is definitely on the customer's side, even though the price of much of the equipment is a lil higher than other places.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-11-2005, 5:46 AM Reply   
I'm for sure not going to shop there anymore, My reason for the post was to inform people about the real high prices at West Marine. I agree that the company as a whole is a good one, they price match and have a lot of gear in stock. BUT, I'm the sort of person that expects to be charged a fair price for products purchased. If I go into a store to buy a pump and the price of the pump is $300 that's fine. But if I find it some where else for $150 and that company is going to price match, then why didn't they just sell it for $150 to begin with. I know someone's answer will be hey don't shop there, this is America, they can charge what they want. And yes, that's true, but again the mark up is way too high. I wouldn't be complaining if I found the same pump for $175.
Old    ryan_bailey            11-11-2005, 1:19 PM Reply   
In Tempe, AZ the price tags are always way high. If I bring in a internet listing of the product I want to buy they will take the internet price. I once used a print out from Surfside.com and they actually called and asked to see if the price was correct.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       11-12-2005, 7:32 PM Reply   
This is all funny to me. West Marine and Boaters World are owned by the same company. Its happend to be the same company that owns a little powerboat company thats called Bayliner. These guys own most of the small boat market (small meaning up to 40') and are trying to take over the rest. They have many times explained how they wish to put ever small mom and pop boat store in the country. I worked in the only other marine supply store in seattle for the last couple of years. We used to go through our catalogs and theirs and try to find items that were cheeper at west marine. It didnt happen very often. Plus we knew their cost was less because of their buying power. Plus the people who work there dont know anything about boats. If you are in the seattle area check out Fisheries Supply (http://www.fisheriessupply.com/}they are on north lake Union. Cheaper prices and better service. You cant buy from them online yet unless you have a whole sale account but soon retail customers will be able to.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-13-2005, 5:03 AM Reply   
Ryan - I agree with you completely. I used to shop there quite often - but grew tired of having to "prove" a lower price for a match. Their prices are out of line - thanks for confirming what I thought.
Old    penny4urthots            11-15-2005, 7:38 AM Reply   
West Marine a rip off? Duuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh. Even more importantly, the only people that work there are kooks who focus more on brass bells and compasses than wake parafanilia. Support your local shop and you'll be surprised how many hook ups you may get!
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-15-2005, 7:41 AM Reply   
True Dat!!!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-15-2005, 7:59 AM Reply   
I stopped by Boat US on Sunday and the same oil filter I had just purchased 10 minutes before at Pep Boys for $3.59 was $9.99.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-15-2005, 9:01 AM Reply   
Doesn't that just piss you off! You know pep boys is making money at $3.59. Boat US is just bending you over a chair and sticking it in you with out lube. Ouch, that hurts (I not speaking literally of course)
Old    penny4urthots            11-15-2005, 11:30 PM Reply   
Apparently there are enough Kapt. Powerturners out there who endulge the "please let me bend over and insert sand before I get boned" price structure. I find it soo amuzing that consumers actually think the products that WAL-Marine feature are worth a ShYiiitt or more importantly that they are saving $ by buying it through them. Believe it or not this thread topic is similar to a speech I once gave in college. None of the people really knew what the hell I was going off and getting so red faced about but they were at least down enough to thrust their fists in the air and pledge their anti-allegiance for my cause. Friggin insane how marketing shananagans can melt consumers minds, trust and knowledge of product. I think it is a disservice to the people we have to share the water with...Just my 2cents.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-15-2005, 11:35 PM Reply   
i like to call it the jewelry store.