Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-07-2005, 8:55 AM Reply   
Looking for a good all-around board to keep on boat for a couple of beginner/intermediate friends. I have ridden the HL Motive before and liked it...any ideas for a similiar Liquid Force board with continuous rocker that might be good all-around or for learning new tricks on (i.e. easy to land). Thanks!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-07-2005, 9:45 AM Reply   
Any reason why you just wouldn't buy a Motive? I've picked up two new ones on eBay for under $150 each including shipping.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-07-2005, 9:46 AM Reply   
Or just look for a 99-00 (maybe 01) Belmont on Ebay. It's the same shape.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-07-2005, 11:27 AM Reply   
What Josh said is correct and if you want a GREAT all around board by Liquid Force get a Trip!
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-07-2005, 1:11 PM Reply   
Would the LF Trip be a decent board for riders learning 180's, grabs and maybe up to 360's? Looked it up and it sounds like it may be worth a try...thoughts?
Old    veganx            11-07-2005, 1:15 PM Reply   
If you're looking for something like a Motive I'd look at a LF Evo. The Trip is a great board but is going to be a lot faster and edge harder than a Motive or Evo.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-07-2005, 1:35 PM Reply   
Great board!

I've ridden numerous other boards (currently the ERA) and continue to return to the Motive shape whenever I want to try new moves. I've yet to find a more consistent and forgiving board than the Motive.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-07-2005, 2:06 PM Reply   
Which would you go for, the Motive or Trip (or other) to learn new moves on? I currently ride the LF Substance 134 but keep borrowing friends more beginner boards to learn new moves on...thinking I could use it and also let others use it on the boat as well. Which is a good board, tracks well and lands easily? Thx
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-07-2005, 2:29 PM Reply   
I've been riding the Motive on the cable for a couple of years now. I don't think you can go wrong with it. That's not to say that it's better that the EVO, as I wouldn't know.

I've haven't ridden behind the boat more than once or twice a year for the last 4-5 years. A couple weeks ago I went behind a nicely weighted Mooba Mobius and had no problem landing HS and TS 360s, Backrolls, and Scarecrows on my 134 Motive. I haven't even tried a Scarecrow behind the boat in five years and I just turned 50 last week. The point being that a Motive won't hold you back.

I can tell you this... If you have a Motive and can't stick a particular trick, there is no reason to blame it on the board. If you can find a good deal on a Motive, pick it up.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-07-2005, 3:35 PM Reply   
Here, I'll make it easy for you. It's a killer deal right now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wakeboard-Hyperlite-Belmont-140_W0QQitemZ7193526966QQcategoryZ47363QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-07-2005, 4:08 PM Reply   
Smokin deal right there!

That was the same board I originally bought, and rode for two years. That and the fact the 30/60 bindings are great for casual riders.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-07-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
My first bored (learned first few inverts on it) was a 2001 Belmont (now a Motive) and it was a great board. The problem with that board is the center fin is rather large for me, and when I switched to Liquid Force boards (and newer HL boards) with more of a four fin set up that were all smaller then the Motive's center fin I found that I had been relying on the fin to cut on not on proper edging technique. The Trip has the option of a center fin for absoulute beginners but the four cupped outside fins work Great! The rounded ends give a really forgiving ride combined with a great continuous rocker for good consistant pop. Alot of the Liquid Forces current boards all come from a slighty redesigned Trip shape.. The shape is tried and true and excellent for first time riders that just wanna cruise the waters to riders looking to stomp their first mobe or raley.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-07-2005, 7:45 PM Reply   
I ride without the center fin on the cable. Don't really want anything snagging on the sliders, and you get plenty enough edge with the molded fins to throw inverts. However, when I took it behind the boat I put on some 1" aluminium center fins. I don't know that I needed them, but I didn't want to waste any of my boat time messing around so I just stuck them on.

What really struck me about the Motive and sold me on it was (with the center fins off) the combination of strong edging and surface spinning control. The board has just enough gripiness to maintain control on landing and slipperiness to surface spin without catching on a fin. I came from a Premiere 135, which came up a bit sort of the Motive in all of these charateristics. I also felt that the Motive was less clunky then the Premiere in terms of rotational weight.

Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-07-2005, 9:43 PM Reply   
John Anderson, and alot of others can ride the motive finless no problem im sure... However behind a boat your not going to want the board quite that loose..... it just isnt designed to be ridden finless behind a boat. THe trip on the other hand is my board of choice on the cables and the four cupped fins dont get in the way and allow for great edge hold. Behind the boat, board is the SAME way.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-07-2005, 10:50 PM Reply   
We have 3 different size motives just for our friends to ride. They are excellent all round boards.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-08-2005, 10:59 AM Reply   
I love the motive and if it landed softer in the flats, I would never stop riding it.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-08-2005, 11:09 AM Reply   
Jim, I have a idea. Lets tweek it and put a belly or v on the bottom with some bondo and see if we can make it land softer.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-08-2005, 11:46 AM Reply   
I have been thinking about that, but my old one is in AZ and Lori loves the new one, so not going to take it away.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-08-2005, 12:01 PM Reply   
haha, get the one in AZ shipped to you and lets get crackin on it.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-08-2005, 12:06 PM Reply   
Alan is in VA and the board is in his storage somewhere.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-08-2005, 12:41 PM Reply   
oh thats not good, well Lori sorry but we need your board.

(Message edited by twakess on November 08, 2005)