Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            08-13-2007, 6:51 PM Reply   
So...after 2, maybe 3 years on a Walker Project Bullet...the foundation for which was a design that James and I came up with in the garage, we decided to make a change of manufacturers.

We've been out with Jerry Price of Shred Stixx and Chase Hazen and watched what Vernor's been shaping. Also Dave took Jerry's design for the Shred Stixx Noserider and made that 8'6" for us.

I called Jerry last week and he used his mojo to get us a board from Dave before the World's.

The new board will be EPS and Epoxy. I've mentioned on several occassions that boards made from epoxy (Inland Surfer, Shred Stixx, etc) are faster. In a different thread Jerry comments that Epoxy is stiffer and that translates into faster boards.

Dave shaped the board while I watched and was kind enough to let me take a few pictures during the process.

The shaping bays are all upstairs and there are numerous blanks in PloyU and EPS ready for shaping.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-13-2007, 6:54 PM Reply   
One of the shaping bays, notice the blue walls and blank level height lights that allow the shaper to see any irregularities (via shadows). In the background you'll see some of the tools of the trade - Dave has two planes that he uses. Working with EPS requires slightly different use of tools.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-13-2007, 6:58 PM Reply   
This is a picture of the downstairs where sealing, glassing and some polishing takes place. Note the rack of boards curing on the wall.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-13-2007, 7:00 PM Reply   
Tools of the master. Two planers, a sander and instead of a handsaw, a jigsaw to quickly take down the outline.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-13-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
More tools...on the wall you'll see templates that are used to draw various shapes onto blanks. Every shaper has their own designs that are reused stored in these templates.

I was interested of read all of the notes and pictures on the walls (not the ones to the right in the picture - I looked, but only for a second!) Dave has been shaping boards for over 20 years and he has a rich history of thanks and congratulations in the various news clippings and photos that line the walls of his shop.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-13-2007, 7:09 PM Reply   
Vernor uses a very specific EPS blank. He was telling me that there are some fairly substantial differences in quality and density. The source of his blanks are 2 pound density and Dave and his staff have actually verified it. Quality in manufacture and materials is paramount with Vernor Surfboards. Two pictures of the blank getting ready for the first cut. These blanks come in rectangle, but with the rocker hotwired in.

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-13-2007, 7:10 PM Reply   
First cut.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-13-2007, 7:11 PM Reply   
Outline done and starting on removing the excess thickness with a plane.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-13-2007, 7:13 PM Reply   
Huh, I didn't notice those posters on the wall before. Did you guys notice that?
Old    surfdad            08-13-2007, 7:16 PM Reply   
After all the shaping the board ready for sealing, fin boxes and epoxy. The shaped blank was "maybe" a pound to a pound and a half. I'm estimating the final glassed board will be in the 3.5 to 4.0 pound range. As Jerry was pointing out that's a 20% reduction in weight, or like a surfer dropping 10 pounds. Amazinglingly light.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-13-2007, 7:21 PM Reply   
Vernor Surfboards website

http://www.vernorsurfboards.com/
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-13-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
Ridiculously fantastic.
Old    surfdad            08-14-2007, 6:28 AM Reply   
Isn't that weight reduction incredible? This board will carry the Shred Stixx logo. Jerry has discovered the advantages of epoxy which translate into strength and lighter weight, without affecting the flex characteristics. You can't just transfer a "magic" ployu board to EPS, there are some differences, but with the skills these guys have learned, they are able to manufacture a board that is lighter, stronger and flexes like a polyu board.

Jerry's boards now are available in Epoxy construction:

http://www.shredstixx.com/boards.htm

It was when I watching Chase on the Chase Hazen Pro model that I was so impressed with the innovation coming from the R&D team of Jerry and Dave.
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-14-2007, 6:35 AM Reply   
Good Stuff...Be sure and post the final product.
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       08-14-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
David, Quit looking at yourself on the computer and get back to work! HA
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-14-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
Thanx Jeff for nice pics. I'm on a start of shaping my first board (EPS or Styro).

btw. I sent you PM Jeff.
Old    surfdad            08-14-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
Hey Hawaj, sorry, I just responded to your email.
Old     (jstieg)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-14-2007, 7:57 PM Reply   
that board looks sick.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-14-2007, 8:00 PM Reply   
I think he uses the posters as a kind of tool, French curve if you will. They probably come in handy when your working on a new board that needs a new shape.
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-14-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
That's cool to see...thanks for sharing those. I love seeing how these boards are in the process of being made.

PS: Nice posters hehehehehe
Old     (jstieg)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-15-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
yea the posters keep you motivated when your tired of shaping boards
Old    surfdad            08-23-2007, 3:27 PM Reply   
Just picked up the board from Vernor and planted it on the postal scale here at the office. Without fins or traction, and with 3 layers of 6 oz glass it is 4 pounds 2 oz. We are heading out to give it a test, hopefully I'll get some pictures this evening.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
Can't wait to hear the results! Congrats on the new stick!
Old    surfdad            08-23-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
Two quick pictures, it's past my bedtime! :-)

Upload
Upload
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-24-2007, 6:36 AM Reply   
Jeff, pictures are great... However, what is James' 411 on the board???? How is the new board compared to the old board? More responsive/Less Responsive??? Was the new board made exactly like the old or did Vernor's help out with slight modifications that would help James out?
Old    surfdad            08-24-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
Too early to tell. Preliminarily, the EPS is substantially more bouyant than an equivalently sized polyu core. Dave made the thickness of this board about 1/16" less than what we had, before.

The issue with "too bouyant" or maybe more appropriately "more bouyant" is that it affects the way the rails work. Honestly, I think that you can take an outline from PolyU and probably cut 5% of the size/volume off of it. So a 4'5" board becomes a 4'2". Same with the width/thickness, etc.

James loves his old board, and Dave put his own interpretaion in to this design. This version is exceptionally responsive rail-to-rail. James had a little trouble adjusting to it in the hour or so that we got to ride.

A few more miles under his feet and we should be able to get a better feel for it.

The EPS/Epoxy construction is very interesting and offers some huge advantages in design and actual ride. It'll be fun to see where this leads.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-25-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
thanx Jeff, and how is rail? Sharp all the way?