Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (pyroskater00)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-03-2007, 7:48 PM Reply   
I have a 02' SAN. Two identical batteries, standard alternator. I am running The Clarion head unit with standard 6 speakers, and an after-market amp for tower speakers and sub. My problem is, my stereo battery is not able to keep up with the demand for power. I run my boat on the weekends in the summer, and i know many of you do too, but have no problems with this power drain. Do I need a gell battery? Do I need a battery isolator to better distribute the charge? What do all of you do?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-03-2007, 9:57 PM Reply   
Is your alt charging?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-03-2007, 10:51 PM Reply   
Could one battery be bad? To diagnose further we would need, more info. Like how things are wired, etc., along with what the actual problem is, as your post is kinda confusing, although I am really tired.
Old     (pyroskater00)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-04-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
It's not that the battery is not charged, or not charging, its the stereo draws out all the power before the alternator can charge it back up. We have had the electrical system checked out and everything seems to be okay, also with two brand new batteries. Would you guys recommend another choice for an auxillary battery? The battery lasts for about 15 minutes at high volumes, and that is after being fully charged.
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-04-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
Upgrade your alt.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-04-2007, 1:23 PM Reply   
or take your alternator to any car parts store and they'll test it for free. even if the alternator is not fully able to charge the battery, it should keep things going for much longer than 15 minutes unless you have a serious stereo system with more than 4 amps. talking with the guys at car toys the other day, they said they don't look at alternator upgrades until they hit the 3000 watt mark on a system. i'm running almost 2000 watts rms and seem to be doing fine.

my vote is that it's either bad battery(ies) or alternator.
Old     (pyroskater00)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-04-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
so you guys dont think it has anything to do with running the boat for too short of periods of time for the battery to charge? And Jerram, what's your setup, boat, stereo, batteries, things like that.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-04-2007, 4:33 PM Reply   
55 amp alternator (stock), 1985 SN 2001, I don't post much stereo info online for my own reasons.

Two blue top batteries, but I'm really only running off of one and using the other for a backup.

I don't typically run the stereo in a 'party cove' situation (with the boat off) as we're usually on the water riding, but even with the boat off my system will go for well over 15 minutes (haven't ever drained it down, though).
Old     (pyroskater00)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-04-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
Thanks. I think I'm going to invest in a deep cycle gel battery. If anyone else has any suggestions then feel free as I will be checking back.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-05-2007, 6:11 AM Reply   
check your switches. I had the same problem last summer and found my blower switch was bad and was pulling a little juice all the time even when it was off.
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-05-2007, 7:01 AM Reply   
Since you do not minding spending money, you also may want to invest in a Perko (multi-battery) switch where you can switch from off, to batt 1, batt 2 or both. They are cheap ($30 range).
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-05-2007, 9:58 AM Reply   
It is possible the batteries have gone bad. This can be because of dead cell(s), improper water levels, poor storage, etc.. my experience is they usually won't last more than three seasons. I replace my starting battery every year while it's under full replacement warranty. I use 2 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series for the stereo and main panel power.

Some people opt to use a battery combiner instead of the perko. Combiners will automatically switch alternator voltage to the low battery when the engine is running. A perko requires manual switching but costs less.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-05-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
Why just start spending money. You need to properly diagnose the problem. Verify the alternator is charging to specification, check the battery on a load tester, and make sure there is no extra drain on system from a bad switch or short in the wiring.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-05-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
I agree with George. Break out a volt meter and start checking everything. If you aren't familiar with using one, grab a neighbor or a friend who knows how. Otherwise, you'll get a new battery and have the same problem after it drains.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-05-2007, 10:52 PM Reply   
Based on your post it's not a battery issue. You either need to upgrade your alternator or get more efficient amplifiers. Upsizing your batteries will allow you a little more time before it draws down but you will still run things down over time. Class D amps (ICE Power or Tripath) will allow you to run about 50% more stereo wattage for the same current draw.

Alpine, Eclipse, Zapco, Avionixx, Blaupunkt, Tsunami, MA Audio, and a few others offer full range Class D amplifiers (you need to pay attention which ones).

http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/sw1873.asp

or

The tripathpower website is down or gone. The technology was discontinued in 2004.