Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (cfd313)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-02-2007, 7:25 PM Reply   
Can you start a boat without running water through the motor....I have a 03 wakesetter (prob going to get ripped for this)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-02-2007, 7:35 PM Reply   
For about 5-10 seconds yes, after that your impeller starts to really heat up.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-02-2007, 7:36 PM Reply   
You can do it, but it's not recommended. The water lubricates the impeller.
Old     (cfd313)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-02-2007, 7:36 PM Reply   
cool thanks
Old     (heeb_v215)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-02-2007, 11:31 PM Reply   
I would not @ all why start it what for??
Old     (cfd313)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-03-2007, 4:36 AM Reply   
well, I'm paranoid....I didn't winterize b/c i kept it in storage...The storage was insulated on the walls but not the roof. I live in Cleveland TN and it only got in the low 20's for about 2 weeks this winter...I pulled the drain plug on one side but was informed there is another one i didn't see...Just hopin my motor was ok...everybody told me it would be but ya know...I was wanting to start it to make sure everything was ok...anyways
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       03-03-2007, 6:27 AM Reply   
You don't need to start it, you just need to see if it turns over. Also, you can take the plugs out, it will turn over easier, but that's not gonna help your impellar. However, if you are so concerned, why don't you hook up a hose to it and do it right? Lastly, as it does not really look like you know what you are doing, why don't you let the dealer start it?
Old     (06outbackv)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-03-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
Chad,Chad,Chad,,,why even ask a question like this on here? You know these fools are going to rip you a new one buddy. Why didn't you just ask me or Baxter first?
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-03-2007, 12:17 PM Reply   
Cause thats what wakeworld is for!!!!!! Geoffrey who bashed him... you're a fool.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-03-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
I would say,don't start it without water at all not even for a second and don't turn it over either.Like mentioned,just hook it up right and no worries.
Old     (06outbackv)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-03-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
Tyler,,,,1st Brian said he didnt know what he was doing when in fact I know he knows what he is doing. Chad has been one of my best friends for 10yrs and I am just messing w/him. So pls get your facts straight before you call me a fool.
Old     (cfd313)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-03-2007, 8:32 PM Reply   
listen no biggie i was just wondering if you could, i know you cant for any length of time but anyways thanks for the input...geoffrey you are swingin the rope...
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       03-03-2007, 10:15 PM Reply   
Get a fake lake, they're like 30-40 bucks at really any inboard maybe even outboard boat shop. Ebay prob s have them too. Invest in one and if you ever need to do any sort of engin work (if you didnt winterize) just hook up the fake lake and you can run your engine...just remember not rev your engine, just run it in idle. The fake lake provides enough water to run on idle but not enough water to cool/lubricate your engine while in higher rpms. They are great for when changing your oil and such for those who trailer a lot like me!
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-03-2007, 10:22 PM Reply   
Not only will the impeller get damaged, the hot exhaust will cause damage to the rubber exhaust pipes. ( found out the hard way )
Only run it with water hooked to it.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-05-2007, 10:15 AM Reply   
I have news...even if your motor cracked due to freezing...it would still turn over and may even start. A few days at freezing given how you described your storage is probably no biggie at all anyway. The motor cover will provide a bit of insulation over the ambient temperature in the storage unit. I assume your boat is covered too.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-05-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
"Cause thats what wakeworld is for!!!!!! Geoffrey who bashed him... you're a fool."

Let me get this straight. He tells his friend that he should have asked him so he wouldn't get bashed on this site, then you tell him thats what WW is for, then you bash on him?

(Message edited by psudy on March 05, 2007)
Old     (fifitrixabelle)      Join Date: May 2004       03-05-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
Yesterday at the ramp we saw people who forgot to turn their boat off until the parking lot... stereo wayyyy too loud if you don't know your boats running. People were screaming at him but they didn't hear anyone! YIKES!
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-05-2007, 3:34 PM Reply   
http://overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=74920&aID=

Thats what I use. It works great. Really easy for flushing the motor, running it on the trailer, and winterization.