Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (mkimister2)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-03-2007, 7:22 PM Reply   
Over the past year or so I have been searching and saving up some money to get a boat. I found a 1990 Supra Mariah last summer but couldn't sell my jetski fast enough before another buyer picked it up. Finally I found another Supra in my area that was in my price range. It is completely stock and is in pretty decent shape. Only a couple rips in the vinyl and the engine could use a little tune up. The trailer also needs new wiring... Here are the pictures:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/dviperlev8/IMGP2468.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/dviperlev8/IMGP2331.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/dviperlev8/IMGP2332.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/dviperlev8/IMGP2327.jpg[/img]
Here are the future plans:
90 amp alternator
Fuel pump
2-Optima Blue tops
Wire in the head unit
2-10" Subwoofers and an amp (probably 2)
Make an tower at work
Make tower speakers
Make tower wakeboard racks
removing the vinyl stripe and decals
sand the swim platform and re-oil it

I am also thinking of possibly reupholstering the interior, redoing all the wood under the seats and some new carpet.
Here is a picture of a quick photoshop I did with the stripe removed.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/dviperlev8/supraNoGrafx.jpg[/img]
This is my first idea of the tower:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/dviperlev8/supraNoGrafxTower.gif[/img]
I am thinking of making it out of aluminum square tubing since it would be easier to make at work, but I am not sure. Is there a great advantage to making it out of round tubing? Does anyone have any other ideas for the tower? What I want is a little different but I am new to photoshop so its hard to show how I want it.
Let me know what you think...
Thanks, Andrew
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-03-2007, 8:43 PM Reply   
a lot of work for an old supra............really worth it?.what are you paying for the boat?...but hey its your time and money ,not mine.goodluck
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-03-2007, 9:29 PM Reply   
aight so no ones said anything. you should be STOKED! i heard the wake is awesome! dont know that it would compete with a sn2001 lol jk. my friend just got an old supra, his is even bigger though. we cant seem to get a wake out of it. but its 23 ft so i think its gonna take some playin with. i say pull the decals on the side. seems that supra liked ugly colors in its early days. when it comes to that tower, if it were me id look into a supra tower to go on it. then id have it powdercoated white, with red cross bars. if youve never seen a two toned tower they look bad ass. oh and i would put a simple supra/// sticker on the side in black or domed looks good too. have fun with it. trickin out old boats is a lot of fun. its an addiction with mine. always got new toys to install. oh and id pull the wooden strips on the engine, sand em, varnish em, and put em back on. same with the vent on the engine housing if you got one. i know my friends does. as for the swim step, use a palm sander with medium grit, do it before summer. it only takes a couple hours and it will look great! hopefully this will help ya out :-)
Old     (mkimister2)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-03-2007, 9:45 PM Reply   
Since I am in college and own other toys as well as the new supra, I am very happy with my purchase. I have been riding behind my friend's flat bottom boat with an outboard, so its an improvement. I am hoping to get the aluminum for free since I work in a metal shop, and my boss's brother works in the shop next to us. He has a wood shop with everything I need to fix up the trim and swim platform. Between the two shops I can basically do any repair, or improvement I need to. As for the money situation, I paid under 4k including state tax and registering it.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-03-2007, 10:57 PM Reply   
4k! ride the hell out of her. thats cheap even for an older boat. REALLY cheap
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-04-2007, 1:25 AM Reply   
I missed out on getting one for 1k.
Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-04-2007, 2:58 PM Reply   
Nice lookiin project Andrew. I think your on track for a great boat at a bitchin price. We are in the midst of a similar build:

This boat will be running a Skylon Swoop tower, kind of a classic looking Supra tower in my opinion. I can't wait to see what kind of wake we can eek out or her!

Good luck with your build, keep us posted. It's good to see some creativity in a world of stock boats...

(Message edited by flyspec14 on March 04, 2007)
Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-04-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
let's try that image again...

Upload

We're still in the process of finishing our site, but you get the idea...

(Message edited by flyspec14 on March 04, 2007)
Old     (mkimister2)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-04-2007, 6:04 PM Reply   
Looks good. The tower I plan on building is similar to that, but I don't know how to make curved lines in photoshop yet... I like the wrap. When do you expect your site to be up? I am thinking of maybe doing some graphics if I can afford them this summer.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-04-2007, 10:34 PM Reply   
Add to the plans a new ACME prop, some ballast and perfect pass and you'll have a great setup.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-05-2007, 5:18 AM Reply   
Great looking boat! The older Supra are great. In my opinion it makes a lot of since to start with something you can afford and work towards the boat you really want. I bought an 83 Supra Rider a little over a year ago and had a blast on her all summer. Found a deal on a 90 SunSport at the end of the season so I decided to upgrade. Hopefully in a couple of years I will find a good deal on a 205V, SAN or a VLX and then I will have my 'dream boat'.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-05-2007, 6:09 AM Reply   
nice boat and a hell of a deal. I bought an 86 marauder 2 summers ago for 6800 with 330 hours on it but has an upgrade 454 in it that had only 50 hrs on it. runs like a top. You love it and it throws a nice wake to.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-05-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
How's the floor and stringers?
Old     (mkimister2)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-05-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
There is only one soft spot that I was told of but it seems solid where it was supposed to be. Stringers also look good and all engine mounts are solid (bolts dont turn freely).