Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-20-2007, 9:39 PM Reply   
Well I did a search and came up with alot of x10 vs other similar brands not so many specifically comparing it to the 205V. Have a friend who has a line on a very very clean 99 Maristar 210 VRS. Boat looks and runs great and he's got an in so its loaded at a great price. Just not much info on the Maristar line. How is it's wake compared to the 205V? I know it will probably take more weight because the Maristar is bigger and wider, but what's its capabilities and how does it stack up to lets say a 205V? I know its same hull as an x10 but have no experience with an x1o so that's why the ?'s I would also assume the wake is wider. I found alot of post from back in like 02 and what not but nothing current. Back then wakes were just getting rolling so wouldn't mind some more current takes. What are people's thoughts. HE's solid intermediate got 3's 5's and about 4 inverts. He coming from an old prostar 205 (d-drive). He loves the 205V wake, but he also "boats" with a fam. So from what I've read the Maristar offers a little more room and a little better ride. How much do you sacrifice in wake? Is it that noticeable? Also I thin I read it doesn't have tracking fins...how does it handle?

He also rides behind my bros's Centurion Cyclone and likes that wake as well, but doesn't care for the 210 wake....to hard on his knees he says. Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

(Message edited by hookedonboardin on January 20, 2007)
Old     (jdrcrew8)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-21-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
Can't really offer any insight on the 205V other than the hull of a 205V should be the same as your buddy's old Prostar 205. It is my understanding that MC just made it a V-drive while retaining the hull form in its entirity.

I can offer some insight on the X10/Maristar 210. I have owned one now for a couple of years. It is a little newer than the boat you are talking about but, again, the hull hasn't changed at all between '99 and my '04. I just run stock ballast since mine is an X10, it produces a very smooth and predictable, though not huge wake. The good news is there would be plenty of room in the storage next to the engine on either side if I ever did want to add ballast. In my experience only, my wake is cleaner than my buddy's 04SSV running stock ballast though not quite as peaky, it is also way cleaner than another friend's Tige 22V with just TAPS no ballast though the Tige wake is noticably bigger. It is a wider wake than the 22SSV and noticably wider at 70' than the only 205 hull I've ever ridden behind.

Other insights I can offer. I think that the X10 is a really good boat for having many people on board. I have a couple of trips a year where ther are 10 of us and it feels a little cramped when running but OK once we stop and the sundeck gets put to use. The only time I've been with 10 people in a 205 hull I felt cramped and that was without extra ballast bags in the cockpit.
-I do wish my wake had a bit more lip to it but I think that if I would take the initiative to put extra ballast in it I could achieve this pretty easily.
-I feel like, and have been told, that the wake on my boat is easier for people to learn/progress on when compared to the 04SSV I also ride behind. My boat for some reason has a cleaner wake that is really consistent every time you cut into it, it also doesn't have quite the same lip that can kick people somewhat unpredictably and that helps people progressing fell confident in what they will see when they get there so they can concentrate on their cut.
-It is my opinion that my boat produces a wake with stock ballast that is big enough to do most moves off of. Though I can't do them, I have friends who can do most inverts, and 3s and raleys no problem.
-In my experience the rough water ride is better in a maristar hull boat than a 205 hull. I have spent some time in some wind chop and it is by no means a good ride but I was able to maintain a little more speed with less slamming than the 205 I was with could.

I can wholeheatedly recommend a maristar boat from my experience. One thing I would look at is the fuel pump. I have already replaced mine, under warranty thankfully, but I know that there were some issues with the fuel pumps MC used for at least a couple of years on or around 03/04. I don't know if the issues go all the way back to 99.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       01-21-2007, 2:10 PM Reply   
Swatguy,
I have owned an '02 X10 and now an '04 205V (weighted out)
X10: When it comes to watersports, I like to say the X10 did many things well, but not a single thing great. The space is nice. The ride is decent. The handling is decent (no tracking fins but deeper V). The wake is wider, smaller, and softer (compared to 205v). I ripped out the stock tanks and put about 500lbs of water ballast each side of engine, stock center bag, and 2 side sacs under the front bow seats. You could get the wake big, but it did tend to remain a little on the soft side. It was a great boat, but my tastes changed.
205v (same hull as first X-star, X2, now X1): Smaller space for people and storage. Doesn't handle chop as well. One of the best wakeboard wakes (when weighted properly). Good surf wake. Decent slalom wake. I have it weighted out as you can see in my signature link. This boat does what I want perfectly.

I am obviously biased towards my current ride, but I offer this because I own(ed) both hulls and I moved away from what I had to what I found I wanted. It's all in what you want your ride to do. I wanted better wake performance and didn't mind giving up the room (makes your set come around faster anyway!)
Below top picture is X10 wake and bottom is the 205v (not great pictures).
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by P-hat in Cincy on January 21, 2007)

(Message edited by P-hat in Cincy on January 21, 2007)
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-22-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
The 205 hull changed to its current design in 1996, and is still in production today as the X1. Great wake, good slalom wake, crappy ride in rough water, and somewhat small interior. The X10, or maristar(same boat)has a good WB wake, when weighted, never skied behind one, ride is better, and there is more room. It really depends on what you are looking for.
Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-22-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
Thaks for the info so far guys...appreciate it...Sounds like being at where he's at boarding wise.......with his skills and likes he be better suited with the 205V as the wake just has that extra kick whicjh he seems to like.

We both just had no experience with the wake behind an x-10/ maristar 210 so were curious about shape and characteristics of the wake. Sounds like he would possibly want more. Again I say that whith both of us havnig no experience behind the boat, but if there's a doubt he'd better just wait. We have both been behind the 205V X-1 wake and like it, just the boat is cramped, ,but guess some sacrifices are needed to get some benefits. Thanks all
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-22-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
Honestly, I think if you sacked out the x10, you would like it just as much. Check out the photos above. There really isn't much difference. The 10 wake actually looks better to me. The extra room and ride would overshadow the wake differences.

(Message edited by psudy on January 22, 2007)
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       01-22-2007, 4:08 PM Reply   
Although the wake photos look the same, the wakes most definitely are NOT the same - not even close. I've ridden behind both those boats (those EXACT boats, in fact) and the Maristar/X10 wake is significantly softer.

The best thing to do is ride behind both, if at all possible.

(Message edited by superairdawg on January 22, 2007)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-22-2007, 4:32 PM Reply   
APul, having ridden both sacked to hell. I can honestly say looks are incredibly deceiving. Like Joe says above its the feel where you notice most. The 205 hull is this big thick monster of a wake, boots you like few others. The Maristar simply does not have the kick. Not even close.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       01-22-2007, 4:36 PM Reply   
Ditto what Joe H. said. And to re-state, the X10 wake is wider. You have to either ride shorter length or bring a little more pepper into the wake. Something that wide is not very beginner friendly (my wife can attest).

Each hull has it's own characteristics and you have to determine what you want out of your boat. We moved from runabout to watersports (our progression was Sea Ray I/O, X10, 205V) and the X10 left us wanting a little more wake performance.

We have 4 in our family. 6 is no problem and we've had 12(?) crammed in. More than 6 riders and you're waiting ~2hrs between sets anyway.

Again, I'm only offering my experiences. Try to find opportunities to ride behind different boats and get what makes you happy.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-22-2007, 6:36 PM Reply   
I too agree with Joe & Big Heavy. I have an 05 X-2 and my buddy has an 05 X-10. I have ridden both as well with the same experience as above. What I can add is usually you can make a wake harder by speeding up, but with the X-10 it seems to flatten out as you increase speed