Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old     (red_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-27-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
I am trying to decide between an '06 Supra 21V and an '06 Centurion Elite V C4. I like to ski, board, and want to learn how to surf. Which boat would be my best choice?
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-27-2006, 1:52 PM Reply   
Both would get you skiing, boarding, and surfing and are nice boats.

The boat that is your best choice is the one you like most AFTER test riding and driving them both. Seconded by which dealer you get the feeling will be there for you when you need it, not if you need it.

Best of luck!
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-27-2006, 2:40 PM Reply   
TEST DRIVE THEM BOTH. My very first post was "Malibu or MB B52." The majority said BU. I test drove them both and bought the B52.I didn't know at the time that the MB's are limited production boats and there are way more BU owners out there. I am glad I test drove them. You will get way to many this boat is better than that boat with a thread like this.Like NAW said, a good dealer is extrememly important.
Board More/Work Less!
Old     (red_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-27-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
I have test-driven both boats and am still having trouble making up my mind so I am really looking for opinions from people who have owned either. I am fine with 'this boat is better than that one' as long as they are giving me good reasons that their boat is the best.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-27-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
Both boats are nice boats. No one can tell you what fits your needs. We dont need anymore boat wars. Go with the one that gives you the better deal and customer service. Good luck.
Old     (red_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-27-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
Sorry I asked - just looking for feedback. Thanks for the advice.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-27-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
If you are having trouble making up your mind, neither is for you..... Open up the search again..... I say that only half joking.

I have a friend with an Elite V, it is a nice boat. Never been in a 21V, but sure it is nice as well.

I will assume that these boats are equipped the same and come in within +/- 1K of each other. With that, flip a coin and then get yourself ownership goggles.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-27-2006, 3:56 PM Reply   
Keep trying Red Rider....I am sure some owners will come on and let you know why they made the decision to purchase a 21V or Elite V.......

Though I would not limit this to men, we are no more competent than women when it comes to purchasing depreciating assets(toys).
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-27-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
Ill open it up, go with the 21v. Supra has always impressed me and I like the narrowness of the 21v. The wake can get pretty steep I like that. Never rode behind an Elite but been behind an avalanche and I was not too impressed. I have never been impressed with centurions wakes. Not starting a boat war, guy wanted honest opinions.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-27-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
Here we go, I have never owned a centurian but have boarded behind many, the wake is as good as any other boat, tha avalanche throws a huge wake, the elite v is decent and the Cyclone actually throws a great wake to. That said, i love the Supra boats to. Why are you narrowing it down between these 2 boats? There are so many good manufacturers out there.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-27-2006, 7:51 PM Reply   
I have a biast opinion, but the Centurion is a great boat and has an awesome ride in rough water. The wake on the Elite V is killer, it has a really vert ramp that gives great pop. The surf wake is amazing behind this boat, even with the factory ballast it's surfable, add a little weight and you have yourself a monster. As for the Supra, it's definitely a great boat but I have never ridden behind one. Good luck!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-27-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
I've wakeboarded and wakesurfed behind the 21V but not behind the 06 Elite. My boat is an ‘04 Centurion Lightning, which was been replaced by the ‘05/06 Elite hull.

I really like the 21V wakeboard wake, however the wakesurf-wake was a little disappointing. I really like wakesurfing, IMO if you’re going to wakesurf you might think about other alternatives. If you want a really great wakeboarding boat the 21V is IMO very good.

The wakeboard wake on my Lighting is a bit steep, but I like it. I generate a fairly good wakesurf wake on my Lightning but I use over 2,000 pounds of ballast. The surf wake doesn’t look that clean but it does surf very well. I don’t have any experience with the new hull but I expect the surf wake behind the new hull will be cleaner than my boat. When rigging for wakesurfing you weight one or the other side of the boat. Most Centurion hulls have some V. I think that the V makes it easier to tilt the boat and makes a better surfing wake. The 21V hull is broad and flat, it will take more weight to generate a good surfing wake. I don't have direct experience with the new Elite hull so I'm extrapolating, my guess (and expectation) is the performance will be better than the old hull (my boat) that this boat replaces.

Regular surf wake
Upload

Goofy Surf wake
Upload
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-28-2006, 4:12 AM Reply   
Never been behind an elite, but I have ridden behind several 21v's many times. I very much like the Supra boats.

Something you may want to do, is take a look at the service department. They are the guys your going to have to deal with after your purchase.
Old     (fbi)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-28-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
There are some differences in the construction of the boats which are huge. Centurion uses ICS which is three separate components bonded together (the hull, the stringers and then the deck, seat bases and floor all from one mold). This gives you snap in carpet which is awesome as well as the molded in seat bases. There isn't any wobbling going on with the bases themselves. They are very solid. Centurion has all the options available that most other boat companies offer as well as some awesome In Gel work to really customize your boat to you. The trailers that they come with are the same brand as the Supra but they come with a tandem axle standard, disc brakes on both axles. They also have a little bit better warranty. I also feel that it is more comfortable to sit in the Centurion with the flip up bolster in the up position. I am short (5'9") and my knees were jammed into the steering wheel in the Supra with the bolster flipped up. Also, Supra uses a bag system for ballast which takes up more storage space and takes over 20 minutes to fill. In some of them, they have actually lifted the bow cushion up when they are full. Centurion uses a hard tank which every manufacturer has gone to except Supra and Moomba. As mentioned above, the Centurion has a deeper V all the way through the hull which provides a lot smoother ride in the rough water.

Hope this helps a little bit!
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-28-2006, 8:07 AM Reply   
...and the boat war begins.

Popcorn anyone?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-28-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
Buy a Mastercraft....J/K

If the two boats are equal in your opinion. then it comes down to service. Check out both service departments. Ask to meet the service manager. Then go with your gut instinct, which is right 75% of the time.
Old     (fbi)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-28-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
Hey,

He asked for an opinion and I tried to give him an honest one. I am a Correct Craft guy myself but he is looking at these two brands of boats which is great so I gave him my views on the two.

Good luck Red Rider!!!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-28-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
What makes you so sure Red Raider is a "he."

Maybe Jenny is a girl.....
Old     (fbi)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-28-2006, 2:01 PM Reply   
quite possible! My mistake if that is the case!
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-28-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
Just a hunch, but I think it's a she.
Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-28-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
First off both boats are great boats...Can't really go wrong with either.

Here are some pros and cons in my eyes.
Centurion Elite V
Pros
-Their ride is second to none. Hanlde rough water and chop like no other They are rock solid with next to zero flex through the d-ups. MAkes a great family boat because noone really gets abused crossing thelake on those rough days
-Handle like sports cars (excpet Enzo and Avy, but they are 22ft plust boats. they still handle well, but not sports carish)
-take very little weight to kick up the swells due to their deep V. So their stock wakes are great with the three tank system DEF A MUST!
-Wakes are nice and steep and meaty. Boot you up.
-Surf wakes are top. Centurions are known for producing THE BEST SURFWAKES.
-Their layouts give tons of storage and the dash is very functionable
-Snap out carpet is AWESOME
- I love their in the Gel graphics. All their stripes and accents except the logo on the boat is in the gel. Very clean looking.
-Merc Engines are very easy to get serviced. Also provide great hp and torque. PULL you out even wiuth extra weight no prop. FOr 07 the BLack Scorpion 330hp is Standard
-Standard dual axlel triler with disc brakes is HUGE. It's even standard on their 20ft boats.

Cons
-Wake can be touchy to get dialed. Have to have people in exactly the right spots, but when dialed look out
-Wakeplate is pretty much useless for boarding and shaping the wake. Doesn't work very well to shape the wake. When boarding its usually all the way up. But don't ever buy a Centurio Elite V w/o the hydro one. It's makes the boat cruise across the lake great. Just doesn't shape the wake.
-Sideswipe exhaust is loud and imo a waste.
-Cooler in the walkway is small and I would bet hardly used by most of the owners.
-Towers are still mounted on the side of the boat rather than on the top deck..Just adds extra stress and alows to tower to sway more.

Supra 21V
Pros
-Wake is great. Also very adjustable to fit different abilities of riders. You can really tweak the shape from steep to mellow by adjusting their plate. GReat for a variety of different ability levels.
-Very deep inside the boat very secure feeling
-like the fact that the center walk thorugh comes with flip up seat
-tower mounted to top deck
-The boat has bags instead of tanks. I think that is a plus and a minus. Make gettin your weight setup very easy. You can just order bigger bags and kick up the swells. Very easy to swap out.
-handles rough water fairly well, but the Centurion beats it out
Cons
-for a 21ft boat it drives like a tank. Drives like a much bigger boat
-Hole shot with a full load takes a huge hit. gotta opt for the bigger engine for sure...otherwise you will be messing with the plate all the time and that gets tedious. Just doesn't have the zip the Centurion has.
-not too crazy about the new 07 carpet. Looks kind retro
-balast is bags...well like i said it's either a plus or minus, bt reason it's a minus is you loose storage back there. Rather than being able to keep vests and things back there when you empty the bags and then fill them vests disappear as do other things. Also easy to puncture if you put a board on them wrong.
-Swim Deck and dash seems to rattle alot
-ballast switches are hard to get to and see if they are on or off.

Well those are just a few of my opinions. Actually looked hard at both of those boats with a buddy. He went with Centurion for hisown reasons. Had it been me I would have went Supra. Something to consider also is resale. Depending on your location each company will have a better resale ina certain region. Herein the Midwest the Supra will always out sell the Centurion, but that os due to the Centuiron's lack of dealer networks. All in all each boat is going to be a great boat. Both companies have great followings and have stepped it up in the recent years. Good luck
Old     (red_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-28-2006, 5:58 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Connor, that was the kind of information I was looking for. Do you have any idea about the surf wake for the 21V? I am taking out both boats again, Supra on Friday and Centurion on Saturday and this information helps in what I should be looking for.
Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-28-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
The surfwake is ok behind the 21v. Average. It's as good as any other 21ft'r can be, but the pocket on the Centurion gets further back and gets massive. With the deep v it's able to lean a bit more and give a cleaner curl a little farther back than the 21v. Not that the 21v is bad, just that the Centurion's is a little better.

One of the reasons my bud went with the Centurion is because he mainly surfs. Has bad knees played pro football, but still boards on occassions when conditions are just right. This info i straight from him as I am by n means a surf expert. He really prefered the surf wake on the Centurion. Also the weak side (in this case) the driver side for goofy riders was easier to clean up on the Centurion. I have surfed both boats an will say I enjoyed the Centurion much more. I had to pump quiker and faster on the 21v because the trough was a bit shorter
Also the fact that Centurion uses the hard tanks you can add the extra sac on top of the hard tank for surfing and noone sees it. Where on the 21v you cant add a sac on top of a sac.

AdviceI would give...if you are gonna ride behind both boats really check out what the plate does on the Supra. Take a couple hits with the plate in different spots, You will notice a difference. The Centurion likes to be ridden at 75ft for a more rampy take off and 70 for more of a poppy straight up feeling. Make sure you ride the centurion with the plate all the way up. wil give you the cleanest wakeboard wake.

Good luck and give us some insight on your thoughts:-)
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-28-2006, 8:02 PM Reply   
The only Centurion's that really need the hydraulic trim tab are the Typhoon and Enzo and it's not completely necessary on those two. The manual plate that is standard on all models can be adjusted a little more than three quarters of the way down and never be touched again. In my experience with these boats that is all it takes.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-28-2006, 8:13 PM Reply   
No not just the Enzo and Avy, the hydraulic plate is essential on my older Lightning. As described above the plate is up for wake boarding and down at higher speeds to prevent porpoising. I set the plate down when beginners are learning. I've also found that setting the wake plate down improves the goofy surf wake.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-28-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
OK, she's not buying an older Lightning.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-28-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
Right, she's looking at the C4.
Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-28-2006, 8:55 PM Reply   
I just feel that if you're gonne be getting the boat ELITE V C4 you'd be foolish to skimp on that option. IT too worth it and has way to many functions.

I would also say that the bigger boats don't need it because they can't have that and the switchblade as well. So for me I'd take the switchblade. IT really boosts the wakes from my experience with it. Kind of clanky and odd as the rcommend you remove it to tow, but still an option I'd rather have than the plate.

The smaller Centurion boats just perform better with the plate. Boosts their performance and eliminate a copuple different problems that arise with the manual one. So that's why I feel it's a must. That's not the option to be thinking about saving some $$ on IMO.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-29-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
Ill take some of that popcorn if you still have any left NAW.