Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (wawakeboarder5)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-17-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
i'm not sure about how i edge into the wake. what i do is i go out and when i come in heelside i think i edge through the wake. when you hit the wake do you want to be on edge or do you want to the board to be flat on the water. i hope you understood what i just said
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-17-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
You still want to be on edge, but with your legs and lower back straight - standing tall - but still with tension on the line. If you flatten out completly, you lose line tension. If you keep your knees bent, you lose pop because your leg muscles absorb the pop off the wake. You want the wake to tranfer to the board to transfer to your bones - not muscles. It is also a timing issue.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-17-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
You always hear "progressive edge" building up speed while edging all the way into the wake, where you then "pop" "releasing" your edge.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-17-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
karl is correct here -- edge all the way through the wake. progressive edging is where you cut out and "progressively" build speed as you cut in toward the wake... start slow and your "fastest-point/speed" should be at the wake...
Old     (wake_boarder49)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-17-2006, 11:00 AM Reply   
Also remember when you're coming into the wake, don't hit it at a 90 degree angle, hit it at about a 45 degree angle for more pop.
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-17-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
i can do wake to wake but only with about 2 feet of air. im also edging real hard and leaning real far back. im doing all the stuff recommended by karl but i dont feel like im getting much air at all. is there anything else in technique that i should be doing?
it could be what carson said. how much more pop will i get by just changing to a 45 degree angle?
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       04-17-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
Are your shoulders behind your hips when you edge?
I use to edge super hard but could not build pop. I was hitting the wake with shoulders in front of my hips. This will cause you to hinge forward and loose pop. Build the line tension, fight the boat, shoulders behind hips, 45, and push down as you ride up the wake. It is one of the most difficult and critical elements to learn in boarding. I wish I could do it right all the time, but that's a work in progress. When you land a trick it's typically because you started off right by good edging.

Me, poor edge, shoulders almost over my knees(not even a good spray) zero pop all speed landed in the flats-no good.

Upload

Jamaican- this guy edges like Shapiro
Upload
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-17-2006, 2:53 PM Reply   
Sam there's a good chance if you're hitting the wake perpendicular that you're flattening out. Try slowing the start of your edge up and building your speed towards the wake hitting the wake at approx 45 degrees like Carson suggested.

The other possibly is that you're leaving the wake early and not riding all the way up to the peak.
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-17-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
yea my shoulders are behind my hips. im pretty sure its because im going into the wake at 90 degrees
ill get some pics of me edging this weekend
thanks for the advice
this forum is the best because of the people here
much appreciated
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-17-2006, 9:59 PM Reply   
Where is your handle when you land? If the handle gets pulled away from you on take off. then you are edging hard early.