Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-25-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
Riding at Texas Ski Ranch next weekend. Then down to Corpus Christi for a week. Any where along the way I should stop and ride? What are the best lakes in south east Texas to ride on?

Thanks
spoonman
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-25-2005, 9:36 AM Reply   
Choke Canyon is off of 37 on your way south. some friends just got back and said it was awesome. camping, cliff jumping, etc. towing your boat from iowa?
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-25-2005, 9:47 AM Reply   
canyon lake is alot of fun, the water is usually nice and buttery. I go to TSR about 3-4 times a week they have nice sliders and if you know how to load the line you can fly. (im still learning)
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-25-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
Yea,driving down. My wifes got family at the base in Abilene so we are stopping there first. Made the drive before its not that bad. Choke Canyon looks promising. Thans for the info.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-25-2005, 10:36 AM Reply   
if you come up to Austin there are several lakes. Lake Austin is where the majority of the people go to board. We also have Lake Travis which is much bigger but it also where all the power boats and yachts go so the watter can suck in some areas. I was out there Sunday with 20MPH winds and it was horrible, the water had whitecaps.
We also have Lake GeorgeTown, it's smaller but this time of the year the whole lake is butter. I will probably be out there on Monday and hitting Lake Austin on Sunday. Have Fun
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-25-2005, 4:09 PM Reply   
Secret Spot on the Brazos River.Sick as it getz if you can find it. (Tin Top)
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       10-25-2005, 7:03 PM Reply   
Emm, Tin Top... I love that place. Definitely worth checking out, but good luck finding it!

-Blake
Old     (derrick_lenz)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-25-2005, 8:04 PM Reply   
benjamin is an idoit. don't waste your time at canyon. canyon sucks ass. check out medina lake, its outside of san antonio.
Old     (robie)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-26-2005, 7:13 AM Reply   
Tin Top? You guys need to let me in on the secret and I will give you a pull. Sounds like a fair trade.
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-26-2005, 8:05 AM Reply   
Jeff, I think I located Tin Top. Can I swing by your shop to make sure?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-26-2005, 8:12 AM Reply   
Ya Brad anytime!!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-26-2005, 8:14 AM Reply   
Brad if you want I will get Dustin Shows (CWB Rider) as well as Innov8 Team rider, to take you up there. Brad give me a call when you get in town. Later.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-26-2005, 6:22 PM Reply   
derrick, don't be a dick. I think canyon lake is fun. thats my opinion, please don't be ignorant and call me an idiot.
Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-27-2005, 9:40 AM Reply   
Brad--

I have a home in San Antonio but lived in Corpus for 20 years. In regards to the Canyon versus Medina discussion, both are good lakes; however, Medina typically has better water. Not to say Canyon is a bad time, but the wind has a tendency to pop up and, if it's crowded, too many boats pulling tubes and the like ruin the buttery patches. I, too, would like to get the skinny on Tin Top if people don't mind sharing the 411?

I grew up riding in Corpus on the Gulf, but if it's windy (which it almost always is on the Island), you won't find dick for good water. Moreover, I'm not sure how averse you are to putting your boat in salt? Nonetheless, when it's not windy, you've got a sea of butter stretching through the horizon.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to get in touch or have questions about the area concerning wakeboarding, good places to munch, where to stay, etc.

Peace be the journey!
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       10-27-2005, 12:43 PM Reply   
Tin Top is up around the D/FW area... If you're ever up that way, you'll be able to find it.

-Blake
Old     (scotty_doo)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-27-2005, 12:50 PM Reply   
Blake don't you ever work???
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       10-27-2005, 4:07 PM Reply   
There he is... The infamous AM1... Yeah, I work, just not as much as I say I do... Plus, the new w/c sup doesn't overlook my laziness like you use to. Give me a shout, let's go ride sometime.

-Blake
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-27-2005, 4:57 PM Reply   
tin top is freakin awesome...butter 24/7
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-31-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
AM1? You two Navy? I was AE3 once upon a time.
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-31-2005, 1:10 PM Reply   
Canyon Lake sucks...Dunlop or Maqueeny is right down the street and is way better to wakeboard on...they guy asked about riding conditions didn't he.
Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-31-2005, 2:21 PM Reply   
As nice as McQueeny is when there's no traffic, anyone whose been out there will tell you that, after 8am on weekends, you'll find more rollers there than you will at a rave in downtown Austin.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       10-31-2005, 10:40 PM Reply   
Kenneth,

Yeah, Scott is in the Navy, so am I... He was my work center supervisor, here at VS41, for the last two years.

-Blake