Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-15-2005, 8:02 AM Reply   
I'm looking at buying one of these boats and I'm curious if anyone has one and rides behind one. I have looked at a lot of V-Drives and D-Drives but have finally come to the conclusion that it is not a practical boat for the area that I'm in (intercoastal waterway, salt, lots of chop, etc.) The one that I'm looking at is brand new 2005, they are throwing in a brand new Wake Design tower w/ racks. It has the 4.3 litter MPI (220hp). This is what makes me the most nervous. Am I going to have enough power? The 5.0 litter has that same amount of horse power. I’ll probably end up sacking it out a little bit (possibly 1000 lbs. or so when needed). Will it get out of the water with weight and my crew (usually around 4 or 5 people besides myself).

If you have one or have ridden behind one please post and let me know what you think? If your going to tell me that I should buy a “true” wakeboat then don’t bother, really don’t want to dump a $50K X2 in salt water, even if it’s a saltwater series… If you have pictures please post, any information is good, I’m suppose to sea trial in the next couple of days.

Thanks,
Aaron
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-15-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
Wow, nobody has one... Maybe that should tell me something?
Old    ldurnal            08-15-2005, 3:19 PM Reply   
We used to have a 19' Sea Ray 5.0L V8 with a 600lb locker sack no tower and it ran fine but could be sluggish out of the hole. It doesn't compare to our X2 (I know, not interested). My point is that if you are really buying it mostly to wakeboard and are going to weigh it down I would get a bigger boat with the Bravo III drive.
Old     (mutch24)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-15-2005, 7:47 PM Reply   
I have boarded behind one a couple times. They are good boats with good room and tons of storage for sacks. The one I rode behind had a custom ballast, tower, and extended platform, which are nice. The wake has an alright shape and is poppy when the trim is adjusted properly. It is better at shorter lengths (60-70 ft). The biggest problem is that the boat has a big problem keeping its speed. With all the ballast and the trim up, it becomes very touchy. Another possible upgrade would be to add a good stainless steel prop. The stock ones have rougher takeoffs.
Old    bif_jr            08-16-2005, 8:16 AM Reply   
I have a 2004 Four Winns Horizon 210. i am getting the tower put on it right now. I think it is a great boat. The only down fall to it is a slow start. You do have to be conscious of the speed when trimming it up. I think it as a decent wake to it. It is nothing spectacular, but it is still sufficient. If you throw a fat sack in it, you will see a diff. One of the biggest benefits to it is a smooth ride on the water. It is like a cadillac in rough water. Next time i am out on it, i will snap some pics to post. Mine has a 5.7 liter, 275 hp.
Old     (grok)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-16-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
I refuse to get a nice boat until my skills are worthy.... But for what it's worth I like it. I did add a 4 blade prop and that helped with holeshot. Now I just need to get some sac's.

(Message edited by grok on August 16, 2005)
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-16-2005, 11:21 AM Reply   
Matt & DF - Do you know what engine?

Also did you guys buy new? How much did you pay? I'm seriously considering backing out of the deal after I got the final price and looked at what I can one 2 or 3 years old for. I don't plan on keeping this boat for very long (maybe 2 or 3 years) and I have a feeling that I'm going to be very upside down when I go to sell. The search may have to continue... But who knows I change my mind every few hours...

Aaron
Old     (bigandlong)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-16-2005, 1:15 PM Reply   
Hey Aaron

I just bought a 2005 Four Winns, 200 Horizon (20 foot)this year. I took delivery of it in May and have put 30 hours on it. It has a 5 Litre, 265hp engine with a bigger sun deck and platform than most wake board boats. I am a big guy, 5'11",235 lbs and the boat has me out of the water before I can finish saying "make it happen".

The wake that the boat produces is very nice. I have learnt that by playing with the trim you can create a wake that gets enough air to make a recreational to advanced rider happy. I bought this boat over a wake board boat for the same reasons you mentioned above. For my use and in my opinion only, is better in rough water than a wake board boat, the seating is way better in this boat than a wake board boat and when I am not wake boarding, the boat serves the needs of the entire family much better than a wake board boat would have.

The only downside to the boat is the weight of it and the trailer. It is heavier than most wake board boats (which is probably why the wake is so good). I had a Jeep Grande Cherokee that I thought I could pull this boat with but it turned out that it couldn't. So I bought a Chevy Avalanche to pull it with and now I have no more white knuckle driving experiences going down the highway!!!

I justy replaced the factory 3 blade, 21 pitch prop with a "high five" stainless steel, 5 blade prop ($1000.00 Canadian). The difference is incredible. With the new prop, there is a lot more bottom end and the boat is much easier to drive and maintain a cons}tant speed with.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Jody

Old     (grok)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-16-2005, 1:51 PM Reply   
My boat is an 03 that I bought in 03 used from a dealership(only 3 months used). It was $16500. It has the 4.3 V6.
Old    fourwinns            08-16-2005, 3:24 PM Reply   
I have an 05 fourwinns horizon 190. It has the 5.0 liter 220hp engine. I bought the boat brand new and it came with a tower and custom bimini.Im trying to sell for $25000. It has always had plenty of power for me, but i have never rode behind a true wakeboarding boat.Was wondering what the price on the boat u looked at was.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2005, 9:59 AM Reply   
Jody look into perfect pass and all your speed woes will go away over night, especially with the high five. What pitch are you running? Ive got a 3400 lb 20' boat with 5.0 and im running the 19". Top end is around 42-44 but hole shot is great but not quite as good as my buddies supra lsv.
Old     (sroot1)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-25-2005, 7:11 AM Reply   
Bob
What was your top speed and Pitch before you changed to the 19P Hi-5?