Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-02-2009, 8:15 AM Reply   
Below is a meeting with FWC to discuss Silver Glen. The Ocala National Forest Ranger, Rick Lint, would like to see boaters eliminated from the Glen. If you don't want your privilege taken away, attend the meeting and show your support.

Updates available at Friends of Silver Glen http://silverglen.2sdaze.com/

Notice of Meeting/Workshop Hearing
FISH AND WILDLIFE CONSERVATION COMMISSION
Vessel Registration and Boating Safety
The FISH AND WILDLIFE CONSERVATION COMMISSION announces a public meeting to which all
persons are invited.
DATE AND TIME:
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
PLACE:
1st Floor Training Room
Thomas C. Kelly Administration Center
123 W. Indiana Ave.,
DeLand, Florida 32720
GENERAL SUBJECT MATTER TO BE CONSIDERED:
The FWC is seeking public input on boating and recreational uses on Silver Glen Run at Lake George.
FWC staff is assisting the US Forest Service by compiling suggestions and ideas from the public on ways to
balance and sustain recreational uses while minimizing environmental impacts in Silver Glen Run.
Additional information regarding the workshop will be available on line at
http://www.myfwc.com/RECREATION/boat_index.htm
Directions: From Orlando - I-4 north to 44, head west into DeLand, 44 becomes New York Ave., turn right on
Florida Ave., parking lot is on left. From Jacksonville - I-95 south to 44, head west into DeLand, 44 becomes
New York Ave., turn right on Florida Ave., parking lot is on left.
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-02-2009, 2:14 PM Reply   
Damn that would suck to see that place close down what's the reason for shutting it down?
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-02-2009, 2:16 PM Reply   
Damn that would suck to see that place close down what's the reason for shutting it down?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-02-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
Read the message from Rick Lint at the attached web site. Insiders know there is a sneak attack to quietly take away boaters use of the spring. You'll show up one day at your tax dollars will have purchased a barricade to keep you out.

It seems this happens every 10 years or so and the claim is damage to the ecosystem and loss of habitat particularly for manatees.

Well this is the only spring left where people can take boats. The manatees have every other spring. I think the National Forest people have their own opinion of how we should enjoy OUR National Forests.

The quotes and pictures provided are from the three days weekends when the forest service did not "control" the spring and alcohol was allowed. I'm there on many weekends and there are few boats and its quiet. They paint this horrific picture then take away more public access.

They have been closing trails everywhere and limiting access and this is happening everywhere in the state. The statement on one popular forest service road to a swimming hole that was closed was it's off limits to vehicles but not to people, it may be very difficult to get to but it's still available. How F.U. is that? One summer of plant growth and it's effectively gone.

At a minimum, sign the petition on the web site. Try to attend the public meetings or this place will be gone.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-03-2009, 6:58 AM Reply   
I hope it doesn't get closed for you guys. I never made it down there from Black Creek back in the day, but I would love to hit it sometime. If that place was in California it would have been closed 30 years ago.....
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-03-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
I've been in Black Creek back in the day myself.

Matt, the meeting with FWC is in Deland. Grab a couple guys and attend and pass around a signature sheet and email it in.

Over the years this topic has come up but because of strong turnouts at these meetings the Glen has remained open but we need help.

I sure the TV media will be there in anticipation of a heated debate.
Old     (mellowman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-03-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
I think the biggest damage is coming from the overall over-population of Florida that is causing the drying up of the wetlands. This should be a major concern for everyone in the state. Not sure if this is related to the area you are speaking about, but further investigation would be wise.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-03-2009, 10:16 AM Reply   
The spring is a fist magnitude spring and flowing strong.