Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (neneman54)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-14-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
ok so i have a 2000 tige 21i and our tower speakers have blown out so we just ordered some new kicker ktm6's and i was wondering if our boat can handle them.(heres the challenging part)im positive that we have an amp but i have know idea how many watts it is, or what any of the other tech specs are. what i do know is that the amp came in a package we paid extra for through tige.(so if any one else got that package in 2000, feel free to share.
thanks for any help.
Old     (neneman54)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-14-2009, 8:28 PM Reply   
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-14-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
it probaly came with the clareion 4x450 that was prety much stock 4 tige it will be plenty to run your ktm6 thay only need 150 rms. i would probaly replace that amp with a kicker zx 350x2 great amp great price
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-15-2009, 3:46 AM Reply   
Camden,

If the boat is close by and accessible, just poke you head in and look at what model amp(s) you have. It could be a single Clarion 4 chnl powering 4 cabin speaker and a the pair of tower speakers, or if you have 2 amps, could be a 4 chnl running 4 cabins and a sub (if you have) and a Clarion 2 chnl running tower.

If you decide that you need an amp, shoot for the ZX450.2 as it is a perfect match for the KTM's. The zx350.2 will be good power if it fits your budget better.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-15-2009, 6:23 AM Reply   
TigeMike is on the case!

Camden, let us know which amps you have, as TigeMike said and we can guide you from there.

Phil
Kicker
Old     (neneman54)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-16-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
the boat is about 300 miles away so i can not check but i think it might be that clarion so tony said i should be fine.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-17-2009, 5:25 AM Reply   
Well, here is the issue: Tony also said to replace the amp in the same post (no offense Tony).

Lest just speculate for now, since we dont have any hard data. Lets say that the Clarion is a 450 Watt 4 chnl amp, that 112W's p/chnl. I'll bet this is at 2ohm's. Just to be conservative, lets guesstimate that the 4ohm output p/chnl is 85%, that puts us at 95W's p/chnl @ 4ohm, to each speaker pod that would like to have 150. As tony has experienced, it's no advisable to bridge the KTM6's as they are around 3ohm's.

I hate to tell you that you need a new amp without knowing exactly what model it is, what the specs are and whether is will work or not. My gut says, if your positive it's the Clarion 4 chnl, then I'm 99% sure it will not cut it for the KTM6's and you will not be too pleased.........as with any under powered tower speaker set up.