Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-23-2009, 9:46 PM Reply   
Reading the "Money for gas" thread got me thinking, how long do you think one set is. I ussually go for what I think is around 10-15 minutes or around maybe 3 miles of actual riding. Most of the time with 2-3 falls then it feels like I need a break. The guys I ride with are about the same, I rarely pull people that just keep going and going and going and when that happens I will say your done.
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-23-2009, 9:47 PM Reply   
i usually build up as the summer goes on. im not sure of how long im actually out there but i would guess maybe 25-30 minutes including falls.
Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-23-2009, 9:55 PM Reply   
Usually around 20 minutes. Depends how tired i am that day, or if it's early.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-23-2009, 10:13 PM Reply   
Forgot to mention everyone always takes two sets each time out.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-23-2009, 10:15 PM Reply   
Early season when I'm rusty I can ride for about 15 minutes then I'm done. Usually about 3-4 falls. Once I warm up I can ride for about 30 minutes, maybe a little more. I ride my bindings super tight so beyond that and my feet are falling asleep depending on how many crashes I take. Tipically I ride until my feet are numb or my arms are too tired to pass the handle
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-23-2009, 10:30 PM Reply   
Depends on how well the set is going. I keep going until I land what tricks I can, and then depending on how hard i eat it/how close I am to landing a new one I may or may not continue riding. This is my guideline for my first two sets usually, if there is a third I just try new tricks.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-23-2009, 10:43 PM Reply   
I know a few a-holes that will fight with the driver to continue to go... talk about frustrating. I think 4 falls max.
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-23-2009, 10:47 PM Reply   
For the most part I take like 3 15-20 minute sets in a day as well as my friends but if I feel on my game that day on occasion I've taken a 40+ minute set but I've regretted it every time... im always sore for like 4 days afterward hahah
Old     (splatman)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-23-2009, 10:53 PM Reply   
Depends on how cold the water is, how many falls I take, and how flat the water is(always somebody waiting to go after me), but normally I would say 10-15 minutes. Anything more that that and my feet aren't happy.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-23-2009, 10:56 PM Reply   
If I'm on my boat, or there is no rush, well, I could ride for an hour, easily. I take retardedly hard falls, and I usually don't need to stop until I either hurt myself (read: coming out of bindings on edge catch), get too angry at not landing stuff, or have nothing left.

And then I can do it again later that day.

Usually I ride from 30 to 45 minutes though. I can ride for a longer set than most of the people in the club... I don't mean to, it just happens.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-23-2009, 11:27 PM Reply   
3-4 falls? wow, it would take me forever to learn tricks.

my riding buddies and I always take 30-45 minute sets and usually 3 sets each maybe 4.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-23-2009, 11:34 PM Reply   
I like to go Long and Hard
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-24-2009, 5:29 AM Reply   
The four falls max rule is pointless when your with your buddies. How are you supposed to learn or progress if you are only getting 4 tries every time you go out? I let everyone ride as long as they want as long as it's not pushing into my riding time or anyone else's and they are offering up generous gas money of course.
That's why we try to ride with a small crew all the time, you learn more that way.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-24-2009, 5:45 AM Reply   
No one beats Bryan Scott. That sucka will ride for an hour plus if you let him.

I uually ride both sides of vics, up and back. If I'm on my game, that's only about 20 minutes. If I'm off and falling alot, maybe 40,
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-24-2009, 6:52 AM Reply   
For me it really depends what I am doing. If I am working on contest runs then maybe like 20 minutes. If I am learning a new trick, I will go until I am I cant take the beating anymore, really depends how hard the slam is. Just free riding I will ride till my arms fall off, a good 30-40 minutes. Really i guess it depends how much time we have and how many other boats are on the water.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-24-2009, 7:23 AM Reply   
I usually ride for about 20 minutes unless I am trying something new and then a little longer. When I am teaching someone, I let them go until they get it or cannot try anymore.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-24-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
J-Rod

You ever ride with AJ Racinelli that kid will go until you make him stop. ONe day we were out and he rode a 45 minute set, then immedialty rode a 45 minute double set with Alex Scagliotti, then went out and worked on toenines for another hour it was insane. I have never seen anyone ride that hard.
Old    dperizzolo            04-24-2009, 7:57 AM Reply   
We usually take about 10-15 minute sets, go through the order, and then go again for another 15. We usually have about 5 people riding or more so we feel bad if we go for too long at a time. This way it allows everyone to get on the water while it's good.
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-24-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
It depends on how much I fall, but I usually ride up one side of vics. I'd say about 20 mins.
Old    ajmac            04-24-2009, 8:38 AM Reply   
I usually ride till about 4 falls, Mainly because their are other people in the boat wanting to ride.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-24-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
down one side and back up the other side of Vics - EXHAUSTED.

up & down both sides of ralroads - twice.

Anyone know exactly how long is one way of vics?? mile & a half maybe????
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-24-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
I'm usually good for one side of Vic's. Maybe a bit more if I'm feeling it. If you're riding 45 minutes and you're not stud enough to be sticking big tricks back-to-back, then you're not working hard enough on new stuff, or your boring your boat crew.

A 30 minute set is pleeeeeenty long for most people IMO. Guys that ride everyday and have a ton of tricks in their bag could ride longer. You don't want to be that guy in the crew that everyone is bored to death watching. Ha, ha, ha.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-24-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
mid summer i'd say 30-40 minutes is about as long as i can handle...unless its a rail set then i could ride for hours...

and Jrod....B-Scott is the truth when it comes to riding long sets...that fool will ride 5-45 min sets if he could...but then again this is also the same cat who will take 3 3-4 hour surf sets in a day...
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-24-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
Evan, i can watch a beginner ride for an hour no problem if they are pushing their self and trying new things. Its boring when people go out and do the same run for 15 minutes and come back in. I dont think of wakeskating/boarding as a show. I go out there to push myself.

Having a big crew definitely makes you feel guilty about riding too long. Thats why we usually have 2- 3 people out on the water riding, maybe 4 if we are riding behnd a boat.
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-24-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
Evan... couuld'nt agree more! HAHA...I think my set s are around 30-40min..I tend to go threw all my stuff then work on some shiz for a bit.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-24-2009, 10:57 AM Reply   
Do any of you guys ever do the "progression set"? We used to do this after we got warmed up in spring, basically you get two wake hits and then you have to try something new. And we'd usually try whatever it was 4-5 times or it gets landed. If you want to get better and with a crew of your buddies there is not better way to improve. The biggest mistake I always did was ride my normal set and then at the end start trying new stuff, it works much better when you are fresh.
Old     (ouwake)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-24-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
Big heavy we do something like that. Just get out there and only do one trick till you get it or get close. I usually ride about 20 minutes. I know I can ride much longer but I consider others and I can land everything anyways in that time. Before comps. we do a 3 fall rule. It helps you get mentally ready.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-24-2009, 4:22 PM Reply   
We ended up getting a wind up timer.

Set it for 20minutes and when it goes off your ride is over.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-24-2009, 4:36 PM Reply   
until I miss my handle passes multiple times in a row
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-24-2009, 4:53 PM Reply   
I ride about 20-40 minutes depending on boat and how many are in it waiting to ride. If im out with two other buddies and on the little boat which uses no gas ill ride all day but on the bigger more expensive ones I just cram as much into a 20 minute set as possible