Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (autosports)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-16-2008, 11:03 PM Reply   
Ive been thinking about a propane conversion for my sanger, when at the marina i asked about propane prices ,about 3.00 a gal.I know that a local propane companys trucks are all propane powered, I understand the octane is higher than gas and fuel mileage is about the same, mine is not fuel inj.what do you think?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-17-2008, 12:18 AM Reply   
The use of your blower becomes much more important.

The octane rating is higher but that does not help if your engine is not designed for premium fuel already, and then not much. Fuel mix is more even so you improve your mileage and power a bit. BTU content is lower so you decrease your available power more than the other benefits would add.
You can run duel fuel but that type of system does not work as well. Your boat becomes harder to sell because it is not what others are used to. You can burn out exhaust valves a little quicker but not much.

Lots of cars and trucks run on Propane and it does a good job.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-17-2008, 12:55 AM Reply   
What about the fuel tank? Is it under the floor in your boat? It would have to be replaced with the appropriate pressurized fuel tank.

Plus you'd have to have some certified meatball pump your gas for you everytime.

Also would be hard to just go grab 5 or 10 gallons of gas & dump it in the boat while it's sitting on the lake.
Old     (wviveen)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-17-2008, 2:14 AM Reply   
My boat is lPG powered. It works great and is very cheap to operate. Althoug the difference is that I can fill my lightweight lpg tanks at almost every pomp.

I have a 2005 san with the wedge tanks and store the tanks on top of the tanks. I have 2 connections on either side of the boat.

But also here LPG has become more expensive lately.
Old     (autosports)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-17-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
My tank is behind the rear seat so easy to install lpg tank. Willem where did you get light weight tanks? How much did the conversion cost?How does the boat perform? Do you know how your mileage differs from gas? Any info would be great,Frank
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-17-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
Have any of you that have the LPG installed noticed a loss of power?
I was going to do a conversion on my 73 Bronco, but heard that the conversions for cars and trucks had a major decrease in horsepower output. Just wondering if any of y'all had experienced it with a boat?
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-17-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
There is a guy on tmcowners that has a LPG powered X-star and can tell you what is involved and how much it costs, performance etc.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-18-2008, 5:38 AM Reply   
I had last year a LPG SAN 210 and this year a LPG SAN 230. I also run 3 RangeRovers and a Volvo Turbo on LPG. I don't really notice the powerloss on the boats. But I do on 1 Range Rover, but that one is a little bit different setup. My Volvo Turbo is even a little faster on LPG.
We use the light weigth tanks on our boat. There fit 6 of them in the rear compartements. You can wakeboard 1 hour on each tank.
I think a normal conversion is around e2500-e3500,- . And then you can still drive on Petrol.

Upload
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-18-2008, 1:14 PM Reply   
All my boats have been propane (or LPG as we call it) powered. We pay just over a 1/4 of the price for marine LPG as we do for gasoline. No real power losses if the system is well set up as the higher octane of LPG gives more torque and that's what our boats operate on.

I've currently got a V drive dual fuel maxum and a dual fuel nautique 2001. Previously had several LPG mastercrafts and nautiques.

I've converted loads of boats. V drives are great for a dual fuel set up as you can put your tanks down either side of the engine. They make great ballast!