Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       01-24-2008, 4:54 AM Reply   
In the spirit of the recent thread on helmets and mouthguards I would like to know if any folks out there use any kind of neck protection.
I herniated a disc in my neck a 2 years ago this July. I chose the non-invasive physical therapy (chiropractic)route for treatment and have pretty much gotten over most of the symptoms. However, last summer while wakeboarding, every time I took a hard fall it seemed like it was of the back edge catching, head slapping variety. I was constantly afraid I was going to re-injure my neck. I have been wondering if there is any kind of a neck roll or brace that I could purchase and wear that might protect me from whiplash type injuries while boarding. Something similar to what you see football players wearing between their shoulderpads and helmets. I noticed the American Gladiators had some kind of neck device for protection they were using. Any one out there use or know of any thing that might work?
Old     (slimdairylate)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-24-2008, 5:19 AM Reply   
tim, as an elder boarder in his 30's who has an evil kneivel frequency of injury, I still would not wear a neck brace. While i have had lots of neck and spine injuries, i would rather focus on strengthening my neck muscles than wear a device. i would be afraid the neck brace would rip my ears off or something.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       01-24-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
Ha Ha....I hear you Carson...

I believe my neck is actually pretty strong. I workout 4-5 days a week. The problem is when I catch that back edge it seems hard to avoid a whiplash like head slam into the water. If you ever have had a herniated disc you will know that you don't want to go through that again! I know I should just learn to wakeboard a little better but that's probably not going to happen!

An as far as you being an elder boarder...I just turned 42. I think I took up this hobby too late in life to avoid inflicting major pain on myself from time to time.

(Message edited by dukeno1 on January 24, 2008)
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-24-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
Some company makes a Life vest that has a neck supporter on it, mush like a football player would use. I cannot, for the life of me, remember who makes it.

I had spinal fusion from my L1 to T1 vertebra, I have never once injured my back, spine, or neck wakeboarding after havning the surgery. And I still can ride at a Pro Level, the only thing that I cannot do is a straight up regular raleys, that motion makes my back arch like crazy and hurts like hell considering its fixed in place, all other glides are cool tho. Depending on what type of surgery you had, they typically say it is stronger after the surgery than it would be on a healthy spine. I have never brought that up on wakeworld before maybe I will start a thread about it.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       01-24-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
Andy

Thanks for the feedback. I would like to know where you saw that vest if you think of it. Hopefully it wasn't bright orange with S.S. something or another stamped on it!
As far as the surgically repaired thing you are probably right. Problem is I never had the surgery. My chiropractor talked me into foregoing surgery for physical therapy. I am glad I chose that so far, as I have very little neck pain anymore. My problem is my wakeboard "bad falls" always seem to be catching my back edge and slamming my head into the water. Last summer after doing that a few times I could feel the tingling in my fingertips on my left arm a little which was one of the symptoms I had when I originally injured my neck. It wasn't real bad but just sort of like a reminder that my herniated disc is still there. The next day it would pretty much be gone. I guess I am just worried about re-injuring myself.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-24-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
Tim I may not be a elder wake boarder yet, but I do under stand what your coming from. I broke my C7 vertebra in three pieces and my T2 I my back a few years ago. Last summer was my second season wakeboarding and I can honestly say the first seaon I felt like my neck was killing after every day of wakeboarding. But before the second season I started doing crunches and any other exerise to strengthen my back, neck and shoulders. And that help me so much I just did realize how much I let my self get out of shape.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-24-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
Tim, I feel your pain. I must be an elder, I'm 58 this month and have been boarding just about 2 full seasons. When I ride now a great set is one where I get in the boat and think I might ride again that day. Any type of slapping fall puts my neck and back into spasm for an indeterminant length of time. My chiropractor loves me, though. As far as neck protection goes I haven't seen any vests with the neck pad but it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Unfortunately, wakeboarding is kinda dangerous and you are gonna get smacked around a bit no matter what.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-24-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
Sounds like some people should take up shuffle boarding.

If you are afraid to get hurt so bad then take it easy and do something else.
People get hurt wakeboarding. But it is still one of the safest sports of its type. Its water, not ice, not concrete, not wood, not dirt, it is water. Sh¡t happens even if you wear a plastic bubble.

Just have fun, wear a vest, and dont go to far beyond your abilities. Push your self just beyond your abilities and dont skip steps.

Have fun wakeboarding. Don't be afraid of it.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-24-2008, 12:37 PM Reply   
I don't think it's just being older. I'm in my 20's and there are no words to describe the neck pain for the few days following a hard back edge crash. I stopped trying w2w blind 180's for this very reason...the falls weren't worth it anymore for me.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-24-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
This summer I am switching to wearing a helmet, mouthguard, neck brace, Two knee braces, ankle braces, goggles to protect my eyes, life vest, and a cup.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-24-2008, 4:11 PM Reply   
Nice mike... All you need to go with that is some SPF 125 sunblock and nothin could touch ya!!
Old     (slimdairylate)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-24-2008, 5:52 PM Reply   
sounds like michelle or mitch or wakemitch wants a challenge at shuffle board. as soon as you hit puberty, call me and I'll have a board ready.
Old     (bhutch)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-24-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
Hey guys..i am a chiropractor and i agree with mitch..if you wanna play sometimes you gotta pay..as for disc herniations..they can occur just bending over to tie your shoes...thats why i wear flip flops to the office..just ride and have fun..most herniations i see are from car accidents
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-24-2008, 10:57 PM Reply   
damn forgot about the sun block. Forgot about ear protection, with all these tower speaker posts looks like I'm gonna need it
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-25-2008, 6:29 AM Reply   
Mike you might talk big now, but the day your laying under a tree and can't move your legs like what happen to me it might change the way you look at alot of things. Now I love the rush of wakeboarding and I still try to get inverted but it will always be in the back of my head what could happen. So don't bash on people because they might be alittle hesitant. Now I would never wear a neck brace to wakeboard. But if someone wants to find something to make them safer and push his or her abilty thats fine with me.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-25-2008, 6:36 AM Reply   
Try shopping where the offshore race boat guys shop they all wear those neck brace vests. Of course when they crash they might be doing 100mph so they need to take extra precautions.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-25-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
I kinda wanna slap Mitch!