Articles
   
       
Pics/Video
       
Wake 101
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Jerald Connolly (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       04-25-2016, 7:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
Know this thread is a little old.
I'm assuming all these EcoBoost experiences are on the 3.5L?

Anyone have any experience with the 2.7L Ecoboost?

I tow an 89 Supra sunsport, I'm guessing weights around 4500-5000 lbs on the trailer (Factory dry weight is 2950, but with very solid floor/stringer rebuild, tower, stereo equipment, etc... and trailer guessing closer to 4500-5000).


It will kill 5000 lb.
Old    Dustin Yost (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-25-2016, 8:06 PM Reply   
Jeremy, you are right, the 2.7 does awesome with my boat, and will get awesome mileage (ok respectable for a vehicle that size) everywhere else.

Really happy with my purchase so far. I would have never thought to buy such a small engine in a full size truck.
Old    Rick (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       04-26-2016, 1:09 PM Reply   
I'll give my opinion and It doesn't mean much ..lol I would never buy a pissed off wound up V6 to do the job of a V8 . I know they make good power and all that but I just don't feel like 2 to 3 hundred thousand miles is in the cards for that little booger . My next issue , to be honest with you guys yes a half ton is rated to tow most wake board boats but once loaded up with fuel and a weekends worth of camping gear and you are really pushing the limits of a half ton . I think if most guys drove a 3/4 ton truck with the load they are currently carrying on the back of a half ton they would agree with my statement .
With all that said I do think my father inlaws lifted 2015 F150 with the 5.0 tows very well . I am very impressed with it .
Old    BLAIR BARHAM (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-26-2016, 1:48 PM Reply   
I went the other way I had a fully built LMM duramax and now drive a 6.2 Sierra Denali. The duramax was great but the 6.2 pulls almost just as good with just headers and a custom tune. Now the duramax would pull up the side of the mountain better and the turbo brake was great. But even though I pull my 24v twice a week most of the boating season. The Sierra is just better the other 80% of the year I don't have a boat behind me. And if something goes wrong its ALOT cheaper to fix the 6.2. I can blow up the 6.2 and go buy a junk yard 6.2 with 60k miles for 3,000 and put it in myself. I can't do that in a duramax it would cost 6,000 for a head gasket job in a duramax. And that why I got rid of it, I can't leave stuff stock and knew if stuff it the fan in a diesel it was cost to cost me to much.
Old    Rick (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       04-26-2016, 1:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
I went the other way I had a fully built LMM duramax and now drive a 6.2 Sierra Denali. The duramax was great but the 6.2 pulls almost just as good with just headers and a custom tune. Now the duramax would pull up the side of the mountain better and the turbo brake was great. But even though I pull my 24v twice a week most of the boating season. The Sierra is just better the other 80% of the year I don't have a boat behind me. And if something goes wrong its ALOT cheaper to fix the 6.2. I can blow up the 6.2 and go buy a junk yard 6.2 with 60k miles for 3,000 and put it in myself. I can't do that in a duramax it would cost 6,000 for a head gasket job in a duramax. And that why I got rid of it, I can't leave stuff stock and knew if stuff it the fan in a diesel it was cost to cost me to much.
Valid points !! So is the 6.2 a half ton ?
Old    T (TTyler89)      Join Date: Jun 2015       04-26-2016, 7:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIV210 View Post
I'll give my opinion and It doesn't mean much ..lol I would never buy a pissed off wound up V6 to do the job of a V8 . I know they make good power and all that but I just don't feel like 2 to 3 hundred thousand miles is in the cards for that little booger . My next issue , to be honest with you guys yes a half ton is rated to tow most wake board boats but once loaded up with fuel and a weekends worth of camping gear and you are really pushing the limits of a half ton . I think if most guys drove a 3/4 ton truck with the load they are currently carrying on the back of a half ton they would agree with my statement .
With all that said I do think my father inlaws lifted 2015 F150 with the 5.0 tows very well . I am very impressed with it .
I loled so hard at your pissed off wound up v6 comment. That couldn't be farther from the truth with that motor. It builds all its torque at 2500 and only slips out of o/d when passing slow pokes pulling my tige 23v. Unless you've had a different experience, but mine never screams like my old 5.3 did pulling the same load and same route. It's no comparison.
Old    BLAIR BARHAM (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-27-2016, 5:44 AM Reply   
yes 6.2 is a half ton, You can get a denali with a 6.2 from 2007 to current year and you can find them in regular Sierra and Silverado's from 2009 until current year.
Old    Dallas Cowboys Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-27-2016, 6:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTyler89 View Post
I loled so hard at your pissed off wound up v6 comment. That couldn't be farther from the truth with that motor. It builds all its torque at 2500 and only slips out of o/d when passing slow pokes pulling my tige 23v. Unless you've had a different experience, but mine never screams like my old 5.3 did pulling the same load and same route. It's no comparison.
That accounts for the rpm's but how about the turbos? Do you think they will last 200 to 300 thousand milies? I doubt they would make it much past 100,000.
Old    Adam (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-27-2016, 6:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
That accounts for the rpm's but how about the turbos? Do you think they will last 200 to 300 thousand milies? I doubt they would make it much past 100,000.
Why not? Turbos in diesels last much longer. If they don't, you would be replacing them in either truck, so its a moot point. I just got a 15 F150 with the 3.5L and it pulls WAY better than my old Tahoe with the 5.3. The Tahoe was always way up in the RPMs and hunting for gears. The 3.5L Eco chugs along at 2000 RPM going 78 on the highway when not towing and about 2500 RPM when towing.
Old    T (TTyler89)      Join Date: Jun 2015       04-27-2016, 6:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
That accounts for the rpm's but how about the turbos? Do you think they will last 200 to 300 thousand milies? I doubt they would make it much past 100,000.
Why wouldn't they? How long have diesel engines had turbos and look how many 100,000's of miles they go.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:23 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us