Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    John Bauer (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-08-2014, 9:09 AM Reply   
Just got a couple in from Wet Sounds, they look great!

Call you're local dealer to get one.....


Old    Connor (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-08-2014, 9:23 AM Reply   
Sweet! Can you provide the measurements on that face plate? i am thinking about replacing my head unit with one of these and would like to use the same cubby... thanks!
Old    Trayson Harmon (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013       05-08-2014, 9:34 AM Reply   
Nice John! And as someone that's done business with John in the past, he's a solid guy to work with. I love how they put the larger faceplate on this. Like many, I was one that threw down on the WS420-SQ, but eventually I see myself getting the BT version for the integration and for the full sized face as I don't run a headunit.
Old    TBP (chadgreg)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2014, 10:02 AM Reply   
Seriously? I just installed the non-bluetooth 420 in my boat yesterday!
Old    210 SANTE (Paxdad)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-08-2014, 11:47 AM Reply   
What is the retail price??
Old    Tom (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-08-2014, 12:13 PM Reply   
can't wait to score a non-BT model in the classifieds for cheap lol
Old    Shawn (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-08-2014, 6:37 PM Reply   
Hahaha Tom I was thinking the same thing.
Old    John Bauer (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-08-2014, 6:38 PM Reply   
Connor, I'll get some measurements for you tomorrow.

210 Sante, MSRP is $399

One thing to consider, if you guys have a wired remote on the helm or transom, using Bluetooth on this will render those useless while in Bluetooth mode, so it's still good to have a non-BT model, depending on youre setup. For those that don't use a head unit, and in the SXS world, these are perfect. Once I get a few more in stock I'll be using one on my Can Am Maverick. I've got a 420SQ on it now, and only an ipod input, so this will work perfect for my situation.

I'm in the Western KY area if anyone is nearby. I cover all the way to Nashville, and all the way up to Evansville, IN.
Old    Connor (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-13-2014, 1:42 PM Reply   
Any luck on those measurements?
Old    Trayson Harmon (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013       05-13-2014, 1:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShredSAN View Post
Any luck on those measurements?
Wetsounds got back to me and the faceplate for the integrated 420BT is 1 5/8" x 8" which means that it's smaller in height than a standard DIN sized opening (height on DIN from what I have found online is 2.11" and the DIN width is 7.2")

Thanks a lot wetsounds for making something that doesn't fit a standardized size. Lack of foresight if you ask me.

I have a DIN opening in my boat. I use my 420sq instead of a headunit. I have the 1/2 din pocket, but it's not the best looking setup. From a distance it looks okay, but up close it leaves something to be desired.


Also, the outward appearances of the respective units look similar enough that I was curious if I could just unscrew the face of the BT and put it on the SQ. they have all the same button locations after all...




So, I just called wetsounds and found out that the reason that the 420BT has a larger face is because they needed to mount an external BT antenna. You can actually see this oval for the antenna under the middle 3 buttons if you look close. So the faces aren't compatible.

He did mention that there's dash mount kits that they sell. However, the $100 that the in dash mounting kit sells for is the same price differential on the BT vs Non-BT so if I was to spend a c-note on the dash kit, I'd be kind of silly to not simply sell the 420sq and buy the 420BT like I already plan to do eventually...

Although even with the bigger face of the BT, that doesn't solve my problem of having to take up excess space.

The dash kits for the 420-sq:

Last edited by trayson; 05-13-2014 at 1:53 PM.
Old    Chase Tillett (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-13-2014, 2:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
Wetsounds got back to me and the faceplate for the integrated 420BT is 1 5/8" x 8" which means that it's smaller in height than a standard DIN sized opening (height on DIN from what I have found online is 2.11" and the DIN width is 7.2")



Thanks a lot wetsounds for making something that doesn't fit a standardized size. Lack of foresight if you ask me.



I have a DIN opening in my boat. I use my 420sq instead of a headunit. I have the 1/2 din pocket, but it's not the best looking setup. From a distance it looks okay, but up close it leaves something to be desired.





Also, the outward appearances of the respective units look similar enough that I was curious if I could just unscrew the face of the BT and put it on the SQ. they have all the same button locations after all...









So, I just called wetsounds and found out that the reason that the 420BT has a larger face is because they needed to mount an external BT antenna. You can actually see this oval for the antenna under the middle 3 buttons if you look close. So the faces aren't compatible.



He did mention that there's dash mount kits that they sell. However, the $100 that the in dash mounting kit sells for is the same price differential on the BT vs Non-BT so if I was to spend a c-note on the dash kit, I'd be kind of silly to not simply sell the 420sq and buy the 420BT like I already plan to do eventually...



Although even with the bigger face of the BT, that doesn't solve my problem of having to take up excess space.



The dash kits for the 420-sq:


You are the first person I've ever seen complain about the size of it. The object is to be compact. Who wants a big bulky EQ?
Old    Trayson Harmon (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013       05-13-2014, 2:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
You are the first person I've ever seen complain about the size of it. The object is to be compact. Who wants a big bulky EQ?
Well, I think that the answer to that question should be obvious.

People that have a DIN sized opening from a headunit they want to replace with the 420.

In a boat, the idea of not having a traditional headunit is becoming more and more popular. I'm certainly NOT the only person to run the 420 as a headunit replacement. And in the side by side world (where wetsounds has a big market) not running a headunit is even more common.
Old    Chase Tillett (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-13-2014, 2:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
Well, I think that the answer to that question should be obvious.



People that have a DIN sized opening from a headunit they want to replace with the 420.



In a boat, the idea of not having a traditional headunit is becoming more and more popular. I'm certainly NOT the only person to run the 420 as a headunit replacement. And in the side by side world (where wetsounds has a big market) not running a headunit is even more common.
I run mine the same way. The only thing my head unit does is turn the system on. My 420 is in a mount on the bottom side of the dash. I wasn't trying to be a dick. Sorry if I came off that way. You could have left the head unit and done yours like I did mine and then you wouldn't have a hole.
Old    Trayson Harmon (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013       05-13-2014, 3:01 PM Reply   
I could have. but selling off my head unit was part of how I paid for the upgrade to my zone control. I think I got $100 for selling off my deck and it's silly to have a deck when all it does is function as an on/off switch.

I guess I was just excited when I saw the bigger faceplate, not knowing that its purpose was for the external BT antenna. I really hoped that it'd be a solution that would not only provide me with BT but also would make my installation look even more clean and nice.
Old    Noah Brown (doubleup16)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-13-2014, 5:02 PM Reply   
Could you use a block off plate for the single din location and cut a hole in the plate that matches the 420?
http://www.icbmotorsport.com/jdmrabloffpl1.html
Old    John Bauer (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-13-2014, 8:05 PM Reply   
I gave those measurements to grant a day after this thread was started. All of theirs were gone and he knew I could get them quick. Sorry I didn't post them on here, I've been swamped at my shop.

as for size, I think it's perfect. The larger face allows it to be mounted in more places then just hanging it under a dash as we've done in the past. It looks to me like you'd be better building an oversized plate for the dash instead of just trying to fill the hole.
Old    J (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       05-13-2014, 8:29 PM Reply   
I'm leaning more and more towards ditching my deck also.
As it basically is only there to turn on my 420.
I'm starting to think less is more in this situation. Less wires, less to get wet, less to worry about, etc
Old    John Bauer (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-13-2014, 8:39 PM Reply   
If there's not a wired helm or transom remote, it's a decent idea.
Old    Trayson Harmon (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013       05-15-2014, 1:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
I'm leaning more and more towards ditching my deck also.
As it basically is only there to turn on my 420.
I'm starting to think less is more in this situation. Less wires, less to get wet, less to worry about, etc
I'm more and more wanting the BT. last night I was listening to music (off my phone of course) and to take a picture, that meant I'd have to stop the music. Boo!!!
Old    Trayson Harmon (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013       05-15-2014, 1:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
I gave those measurements to grant a day after this thread was started. All of theirs were gone and he knew I could get them quick. Sorry I didn't post them on here, I've been swamped at my shop.

as for size, I think it's perfect. The larger face allows it to be mounted in more places then just hanging it under a dash as we've done in the past. It looks to me like you'd be better building an oversized plate for the dash instead of just trying to fill the hole.
I was looking at my dash last night and I was thinking that if I could make a whole new gauge cover, that would be awesome. basically replace the gray. Shouldn't be too terrible. Just use the old one to trace and cut a new one. And simply cut a smaller hole for the WS420SQ...

I guess I'll add it to a LONNNNNNNG list of boat projects I want to do.
Old    Darrin (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-16-2014, 9:43 AM Reply   
My head unit has BT. I am currently running the WS420SQ. We mostly use BT but occasionaly use the head units built in USB, aux jack, and CD player . Is there any benefit to using the BT directly from the 420 over the BT in my head unit? Technically speaking for sound quality is what I mean. Extra wires, getting wet, etc are not a concern as it is already installed and the head unit & aux ports are in my glove box.
Old    John Bauer (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-16-2014, 8:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
I'm more and more wanting the BT. last night I was listening to music (off my phone of course) and to take a picture, that meant I'd have to stop the music. Boo!!!
I don't know what kind of phone you're using, but I've never had to stop playing music from a phone to take a picture with the same device. Give you're sister back her pitty phone 5? haha

IMO - music and phones should be separated. You can't DJ a lake party and be interrupted by a phone call, and still be cool..
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-21-2014, 2:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
I don't know what kind of phone you're using, but I've never had to stop playing music from a phone to take a picture with the same device. Give you're sister back her pitty phone 5? haha



IMO - music and phones should be separated. You can't DJ a lake party and be interrupted by a phone call, and still be cool..

I'm thinking he had to unplug the phone from the stereo to go take a picture. Bluetooth would've allowed him to send the music while being mobile to take the pic.
Old    Trayson Harmon (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013       05-22-2014, 3:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
I don't know what kind of phone you're using, but I've never had to stop playing music from a phone to take a picture with the same device. Give you're sister back her pitty phone 5? haha

IMO - music and phones should be separated. You can't DJ a lake party and be interrupted by a phone call, and still be cool..
Yes, I have a car dock that I bought for the boat. It transmits audio through the micro usb connection on the dock. It has a suction cup to attach it to the window. So, to take a pic, I had to remove the phone from the dock. If I had BT, the music would keep playing regardless of the phone's location.

I do it this way because it's nice to have a dock for the phone to control the music and such. Also, it's nice to have the phone charging and outputting to the WS420sq without having to plug and unplug 2 cords each time.

you can see my car dock above my depthfinder in this pic:


At some point I'll probably hardwire power to the dock.
Old    Trayson Harmon (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013       05-22-2014, 3:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
I'm thinking he had to unplug the phone from the stereo to go take a picture. Bluetooth would've allowed him to send the music while being mobile to take the pic.
Yep, basically this.

Because car dock.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 4:19 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us