Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-29-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
I'm looking at a light duty trailer that has torsion axles. How do torsion axles compare to leaf spring systems?
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-29-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
superior ride, durability and maintenance free from a suspension standpoint.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-29-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   
How can you tell when you are approaching the load limit of a torsion system?
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-29-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
It has been some time since I sold torsion axles, but I believe they come in three sizes on trailers, 3500, 5000, 7500 and maybe even 10,000 lbs per axle. You can tell by the diameter of the axle, spindle or hub which all determine the capacity. If you cross reference the bearing numbers you can find out or drag it over to trailer shop and they can tell you. 4 lug, six lug and eight lug all carry different capacities. I am sure this is more confusing then not saying a thing.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-30-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
It's not confusing. I noticed trailer's without brakes have the larger axles but are limited by the fact they do not have brakes. Makes the occasional overload less of an issue as long as I can stop the load.

Why don't we see more torsion axles?
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-30-2008, 12:55 PM Reply   
$$$$$
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-30-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
Problem with trailers, especially utility trailers is that they are all custom made. Now boat trailers are a little more "manufactured" but there is little consistency with any trailer. I think what you have seen is a bit of an anomoly, it is pretty tough to find a solid utility trailer without brakes these days but remember they are all pretty much made as one off's.

If I needed a utility trailer today, I would have it custom made with Torsion axles. If you are in the market, look at having a custom done, you can get EXACTLY what you want for a little more money and the good ones hold their value. You want electric brakes on all wheels and find a high end manufacturer.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-30-2008, 2:17 PM Reply   
thanks for the input.