Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-31-2013, 1:13 PM Reply   
So I left my boat at the dealership to get some minor things worked on (exhaust riser leaking and shaft packing). I have a 2000 mastercraft that is a DD, so by no means is the cover new. None the less when rain gets in it normally flows out the plug hole no issues. Well the dealership after lake testing it left the plug in for a week prior to getting around to working on it. During this week it rained a TON and the boat was pretty well full to the floor boards. Then when they finally did work on it they said starter was bad and want $395 to fix it. Do you think the starter going was from the water sitting in there for a week or just the age of the boat?
Attached Images

Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-31-2013, 1:35 PM Reply   
Minnesota Inboards in New Germany, MN was the dealership. They told me its a marine starter it could stand to get wet and it was old. When I asked if they could help me out since they didnt pull the plug their response was tough luck.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-31-2013, 1:49 PM Reply   
Not sure if it would have caused it, but surely wouldn't do it any good. Marine or not its not designed to be submerged. if I remember correctly marine starters are just spark protected due to fumes. Thats the difference, they are not water proof. I guess you know where not to take your boat next time. Personally I think there are better places in the metro for boat work. I had a boat over there last fall on consignment and wasn't at all happy with the way they took care of it. Long story.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-31-2013, 1:58 PM Reply   
If they wont cover the new starter for you, order one online for 2-250 bucks. Its a 15 minute job to replace it. At least it was on my DD on a 6.0 MP.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-31-2013, 2:23 PM Reply   
It looks like you have the standard 350 TBI engine don't you? If so you should be able to get a brand new OEM Delco(this is the starter Indmar uses) starter for under $300 and a rebuild or clone for under $200. If they are going to charge you $395 to rebuild yours and install it that is craziness. I replaced the starter in my Moomba Mobius V i use to have myself at night and it took about 20 minutes to a half hour and I had terrible tools and didn't know what I was doing. It should be a half hour of labor tops on a direct drive.

Bakes has the brand new OEM Delco in stock and on their website for $270.
http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1237

If you have the corvette LT1 it uses a slightly different starter.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-31-2013, 3:30 PM Reply   
You are correct on it being 350 TBI engine. I have not been pleased with the service and definitely wont be returning there anytime soon. They came highly recommended from a buddy, but I guess that difference you get when you have 2011 boat vs a 2000 boat. I dropped it off on May 1st and they did the repairs today... Greatly appreciate all of your guys input!
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-31-2013, 3:31 PM Reply   
RB where would you recommend taking your boat in the metro so I dont get hosed/drowned again?
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-31-2013, 3:44 PM Reply   
is that your transmission dipstick a fraction of an inch higher than the water level? you should check your fluid.

what a bunch of clowns.

call an electrical shop and ask them how much to rebuild your starter. def cheaper than buying a new one.

this is an old drum to beat but it's sure is alot cheaper to do your own maintenance. and you don't have to trust somebody else won't screw you. these guys got ya....sucks.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-31-2013, 4:05 PM Reply   
I generally try to do most of my own installs; however, this was just to make sure all my winter project worked correctly. For example, installed my own star gazer pp this spring. None the less the money i saved there was redirected into that darn starter.
Old     (03suprassv)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-31-2013, 5:48 PM Reply   
TC

Don't take this the wrong way because they should have removed the plug but I wonder why the bilge did not kick on. All boat I have ever owned or been on have them wired to a switch and also directly to the battery so that if the batteries are turned off the bilge will still work on automatic. May want to check it out when you get it back.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-31-2013, 6:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03suprassv View Post
TC

Don't take this the wrong way because they should have removed the plug but I wonder why the bilge did not kick on. All boat I have ever owned or been on have them wired to a switch and also directly to the battery so that if the batteries are turned off the bilge will still work on automatic. May want to check it out when you get it back.
Good catch Adam. I think the auto bilge should be hooked directly to the battery or another place that always has power regardless of switch position.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-31-2013, 8:08 PM Reply   
The X5 has a manual and automatic setting for the bilge. However, I had it turned off completely as it had been winterized/not been anywhere near the water. I keep it in a pole barn in the winter where it doesnt see any rain/snow. It has now been turned to automatic after this incident.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-31-2013, 10:52 PM Reply   
I won't let anyone touch my boat because of stuff like that. Your boat should not get worse under their care. The picture of your boat full of water says it all. It's their fault. They said tough luck? I would have come unglued on them. I would sue them in small claims court for the cost of the starter. Show the judge the picture of your starter under water. you win.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-01-2013, 6:37 AM Reply   
Here's the other pictures that I sent to the shop. Also, auto bilge works once flipped on per the below
Attached Images

Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-01-2013, 6:54 AM Reply   
You got screwed.. It's their responsibility when in their possession... Take them to small claims court..
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-01-2013, 7:09 AM Reply   
I worked as a tech in a shop for quite a few years servicing hundreds of personal watercraft. We had a rule... Leave it how we got it when it came to drain plugs, personal belongings, battery switches, gas shut off valves, etc...

If it was dropped off with the plug pulled... The plug should have been pulled after they water tested it. I would be LIVID if I picked up my boat like that
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-01-2013, 8:48 PM Reply   
I sure that this guys can submerge your engine for a week and told you after that it was MARINE engine and that this have to be normal.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-01-2013, 9:48 PM Reply   
The dealership should be responsible for something like that.

I would change the transmission fluid as well as the oil. Might have some water that seeped in due to the transmission and oil pan being submerged for a period of time.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-02-2013, 5:41 AM Reply   
Dude I would be up someones mudhole. If you left the plug in..........shame on you but if they put it in they should be changing every bit of fluid in that boat, changing the starter, and giving you a handy on the way out. That is rediculous and I would be livid. Post this on TT btw. Those guys are vicious and would prob drop some bomb threats for ya.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-05-2013, 1:58 PM Reply   
Has anyone ever took a situation similar to this to small claims court?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-05-2013, 4:10 PM Reply   
Man if there is a dealer in our area that deserves it thats the one. But for $300 or so I really doubt its worth your time. Now if they swamped your motor and it was $5k, that would be different, but for $300 you'd spend alot of your time for little return.