Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-05-2012, 12:58 PM Reply   
Hi all,

I was just curious if anyone has been having some persistent hip flexor pain as I have. I've been stretching it out as much as i can. Its on my left side/leg/hip. I'm starting to adjust my stance to see if this helps. I hate to bring in my bindings closer but I think that is my next step. I also had them ducked quite a bit and have now ducked them less hoping this helps. It just really is tough to land and squat right now. Maybe I'm just poorly out of shape.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       07-05-2012, 1:24 PM Reply   
Just took a run this morning on my new setup, ducked my front foot out a little more than usual and after my set my left hip flexor has been bugging me ever since. Never happened before. I'm blaming it on the ducked bindings
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-05-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
If they are bothering you after you ride, then you probably just have very tight hip flexors. Do you sit for a living? What kind of stretching are you doing? I might be able to help.
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-05-2012, 7:38 PM Reply   
I just had to take a break for a couple weeks.
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-06-2012, 6:03 AM Reply   
I actually do pretty much sit all day at my desk at work. Not surprised this is probably playing a role. What good tips have you got? Thanks by the way too.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-06-2012, 6:05 AM Reply   
I'd do the Insanity stretches in the warmup. they are great yoga style stretches that stretch out your hip flexors.
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-06-2012, 6:07 AM Reply   
o and as for stretching, when I do stretch I am doing a couple different things.
1) I sit on the floor with the soles of my feet flat against each other and lean forward as far as I can
2) I've tried doing some lunges to sort of stretch that area.
3) I have messed with being down on one knee and leaning forward which seemed to stretch it a bit. It did seem to make things hurt a bit more actually.

Sometimes I feel like stretching before wakeboarding tends to make things more prone to injury. Do you think its better to stretch after or before?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-06-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
Sitting for long periods is why you, me, and lots of other people have tight hip flexors. Any muscle that rests in a shortened position for long periods of time will naturally shorten (the opposite of stretching). Also, if you do a lot of situps for exercise, keep in mind that situps are half hip flexor, and half abs. Workouts like P90X Ab Ripper X will tighten up your hip flexors, big time.

Lunges are a glute exercise, so while tightening glutes along with your flexors brings balance to the pelvis, it's not going to stretch your HFs.

The stretch with one knee on the ground (kneeling) is the best way to isolate the HF for a stretch. The key is to not lean forward, but sit straight up like you're lunging, and push your pelvis forward. You'll have to engage the glutes (butt) to push the pelvis forward for this stretch, otherwise your tight HFs will pull on the pelvis and it will tilt, and you might miss the stretch all together. So, tight butt for that stretch (pelvis tucked). You can also take the foot that is behind you during that stretch and place a basket ball underneath it. So now the foot is elevated, the knees is in full flexion, which stretches the quad and HF.

Rolling out the hip flexor on a medicine ball also works great. It's going to hurt, but it works.

Mine hurt after I stretch too. Stay on top of it and be consistent and that will work out.

Stretching should be a corrective exercise used to loosen tight muscles that prevent you from moving correctly. Stretching muscle that are not tight before you ride is not a good idea. So you're right. Don't just stretch for the hell of it. Just stretch out the imbalances. Over stretched muscles can become under active.