Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-14-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   
I know some of you out there have redone your swim platforms. I am really wanting to tackle this project but I keep hesitating and wondering if I should even bother. I currently have a teak platform that is in need of some serious work so I thought I would just totally redo the whole thing since I saw one of the big surfer on here redo his and what effect it had on his surf wake. MY teak is HUGE and it cuts into the water big time when I got it leaning to throw the surf wave. O by the way my boat is a 2001 Tige 20i. I don't want something that is going to look bad. I want something that will last. I also want the platform to be white to go along with the boat. I then want to add a pad of some sort with a Tige emblem on it. Below is a crappy pic of the boat looking from the rear. It doesn't show the swim platform but gives you an idea of what the boat looks like....

I guess my questions are as follows:

1) is it worth it?
2) If I do this project I am going to sandwich two 3/4'' pieces of ply together. Will I be able to have a rounded edge around the outside or will the ply not hold a rounded edge?
3) Will this really effect the surf wake as much as I am thinking it will?

Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-14-2011, 11:20 AM Reply   
Are you just planing on putting 2 pieces of plywood together and bolting them onto the platform brackets?

You need to build it as if you were rebuilding the transom in a boat. You can round over the edges with a router if you want to make the edges smoother.

Marine Grade Plywood
Fiberglass and Epoxy
Sprayed GelCoat
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-14-2011, 12:39 PM Reply   
no no the two pieces will be glued and screwed.... then fill in the screw holes and paint and seal using urathane or bedliner or something that will last and look good white

the bottom needs to be smooth to have the most positive effect on the surf wave

I guess I could fiberglass it and the gel coat it... i don't know how to gel coat so that may be an extra expense
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-14-2011, 12:41 PM Reply   
Why don't you just take your teak and cut it down? I did that on my boat and it works great. Then had it covered in linex. Way way better then my old teak.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-14-2011, 1:57 PM Reply   
i wouln't take advice from anyone who thinks linex is way better than teak...no offense dude...
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-14-2011, 2:02 PM Reply   
No one gives a **** what you think Nick.

Teak is old, whack leftover "bling" from the 80's.. Fiberglass + SeaDek is the way to go..
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-14-2011, 2:10 PM Reply   
do you think two 1/2'' ply glued and screwed and fiberglassed together will be strong enough? I don't want the platform to be ridiculously thick if it don't have to... but I don't want it flexing and cracking all the time
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-14-2011, 2:11 PM Reply   
yeah and there will be a pad on top... linex is very rough coated for traction... i want the bottom to be as smooth as possible for surf wave reasons
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-14-2011, 2:17 PM Reply   
I cut mine down to the point it doesn't touch the wave at all. Linex can also be sprayed smooth if you want. Works and is the cheaper route. Older tiges had huge swim decks! Is yours warped?
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-15-2011, 6:07 AM Reply   
the boards are starting to warp... I could prolly do a really thorough restore and have it come out looking very nice but if I am going to do a lot of work and spend some time on it I might as well make the boat look better and help produce a little more push for the surf wave.... if the new platform comes out nice I would prolly try to sell my current teak.
Old    Ron1xNautique            02-15-2011, 6:32 AM Reply   
My platform is 32 years old and after some hard work and very little $ (I'd be happy to let you know how I did mine) it looks brand new but if you want something more modern I vote resin and gel with non skid pattern on top but its gonna set u back some ching..

Last edited by Ron1xNautique; 02-15-2011 at 6:32 AM. Reason: .
Old    Ron1xNautique            02-15-2011, 7:27 AM Reply   
Teak is old, whack leftover "bling" from the 80's..

You should have let Ron1x and Slingshot know, Both companies show real wood in their boards. In fact SS' 2011 line has mostly clear coated wood cores with a touch of graphic inlay..............
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-15-2011, 10:05 AM Reply   
yeah, take that jeff wad...
Old     (Dmcastino)      Join Date: Sep 2010       02-15-2011, 9:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1xNautique View Post
My platform is 32 years old and after some hard work and very little $ (I'd be happy to let you know how I did mine) it looks brand new but if you want something more modern I vote resin and gel with non skid pattern on top but its gonna set u back some ching..
Even if he's not, I'd be interesting in hearing the steps you took to get your teak looking like that haha
Old    Ron1xNautique            02-15-2011, 9:27 PM Reply   
^For sure I'll pm you
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-15-2011, 10:06 PM Reply   
I was seriously planning on rebuilding my swim platform at the beginning of last summer because it was really hurting the surf wave. My plan was to rebuild it after we put in the new 1100# surf sacks. I am SO glad i didnt mess with the platform, with the added weight, the water just rolls over the platform and doesnt impact the wave at all anymore.
So just add more weight, and you will be set. Idk how this applies to other boats, but it worked well with my 02 Tige 20V
heres a pick at about 10mph( its way slower than surf speed) but shows a sweet picture with a clean lip.

I can dig up something, pic or a vid, that shows the clean lip at around 11.5 mph if you wanna see it.

Last edited by ilikebeaverandboats; 02-15-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-16-2011, 9:11 AM Reply   
i can still see where the platform is cutting into the wave.. did you ever try to run without a platform? I would think you would get a steeper/even cleaner lip if it didn't cut in the wave that much
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2011, 9:18 AM Reply   
We took the deck off my buddies Tige 22v and the wave was so clean and nice. Fumes were nasty from the exhaust though. He now has an FAE. We should try it again.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-16-2011, 9:49 AM Reply   
yeah thats my problem too... I can't run without a platform becasue thats what the FAE is attached to and I won't ride without my FAE
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2011, 9:59 AM Reply   
Ohh yeah! Can't take the swim deck off and still use the FAE! I am dumb I am thinking about a 24v and I will definitely cut down the teak so it doesn't touch the wave if I buy one.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-16-2011, 4:24 PM Reply   
I think I heard Jeff Foxworthy say:

"If you Line-X your teak platform, you might be a redneck"

Teak may be "old bling from the 80's, but it is a lot more durable than any fiberglass platform.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-16-2011, 8:12 PM Reply   
I love teak for a swim platform. I think it's one of those timeless classic touches. Kinda like a '65 mustang never goes outta style...
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-16-2011, 8:47 PM Reply   
Teak is the sheee eye it!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-17-2011, 7:28 AM Reply   
Teak is a PITA if you want it to look good.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-17-2011, 8:21 AM Reply   
I leave my boat in the marina for 6+ months a year and for some reason my boat (centurion avalanche) the swim deck is part under water with no weight. The teak just looked terrible. A combo of sun and water just trashes it.
Old    Ron1xNautique            02-17-2011, 1:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmartin View Post
Teak is a PITA if you want it to look good.
I agree, unless you do a complete restoration and maintain it each year, then it's just a couple hours each season and looks sweet. Most people just wanna jump in the boat and go so maintenance gets pushed off till it becomes a problem later..
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-17-2011, 1:47 PM Reply   
and it's slippery and too hard of a surface
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-17-2011, 2:04 PM Reply   
I had two people slip and fall. One cut his head on my transom. That's when I decided I needed to fix it. Next time I will just remove the teak, cut something out of marine plywood then have it covered in linex.
Old    Ron1xNautique            02-17-2011, 4:37 PM Reply   
to each his own..
Slippery? I just finished redoing mine and put 12 coats of teak oil on it and only one person slipped all season(female/drunk) go figure
Too hard? For a man, woman or snuggle the fabric softener bear?
Alcohol will make anyone fall over if you drink it right
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-17-2011, 6:00 PM Reply   
^Plus, if someone dookies on your teak swim platform, it blends right in and no one notices.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-17-2011, 6:01 PM Reply   
I cant wait until I get to do this project to mine as well. I think I will sit down drink beers why i watch my teak burn!I hate teak. Make one from would line x that bitch slap a foam pad on that sucker and your golden. I dont really surf so I cant help with the cutting into your wave but its been said alot just add a little more weight and it cleans up.
Old    Ron1xNautique            02-17-2011, 6:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
^Plus, if someone dookies on your teak swim platform, it blends right in and no one notices.
Really? I'm not crying about how I hate everything but ply"would"^ and bedliner just wondering what's wrong with teak? I don't get why anyone cares if someone has a teak platform or not. Is it that your not skilled enough to refinish a teak platform or just too lazy to put a little work into something. Grow up. Seriously? Your going to sit on here and be a smart*** like everyone thinks your hilarious or something? I like teak and working hard to have something look killer when it's done, I don't give a **** if you do or not!

Last edited by Ron1xNautique; 02-17-2011 at 6:23 PM. Reason: .
Old    Ron1xNautique            02-17-2011, 6:52 PM Reply   
Another thing, anyone that wants to make their own platform that isn't made out of teak GO FOR IT I hope it turns out great and your completely happy with it when it's done, and I'm sure theirs someone who would like to give some advice that will help you get what you want but don't sit here and say that teak sucks because it's not what your going to use. This site really pisses me off, way to many pricks and not enough people that just want to help. or talk about wakeboarding
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-17-2011, 9:46 PM Reply   
Why does everyone suggest linex? that stuff is definitely not nice on your feet. And seriously whats everyones aversion to Teak? If you maintain it, it looks really nice, and I have never had a problem with it being slippery.

I just dont see how a piece of plywood covered in bedliner looks nice on a 50+ thousand dollar boat.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-17-2011, 10:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by camassanger View Post
I love teak for a swim platform. I think it's one of those timeless classic touches. Kinda like a '65 mustang never goes outta style...
I couldn't agree with you more!
Attached Images

Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-18-2011, 6:20 AM Reply   
"Really? I'm not crying about how I hate everything but ply"would"^ and bedliner just wondering what's wrong with teak? I don't get why anyone cares if someone has a teak platform or not. Is it that your not skilled enough to refinish a teak platform or just too lazy to put a little work into something. Grow up. Seriously? Your going to sit on here and be a smart*** like everyone thinks your hilarious or something? I like teak and working hard to have something look killer when it's done, I don't give a **** if you do or not!"

Shaun, take it easy bro. Before I get to something that is going to shatter your world, let me say one thing. Why are you so emotional when it comes to teak? If you like teak, more power to you, but if the next guy doesn't like it, there is no reason to get all butt hurt. I mean, do you own stock in a teak platform factory or something? I was making a joke when I talked about someone dookieing on a teak platform, sorry if I scratched a nerve. But if you look a few posts higher, you'll see I made another joke about guys putting Line-X on their teak platform.

You are more than welcome to come to TN this spring and ride behind our boat. Don't bring gas money, maybe just a few beers. It's a 08 X-Star, and here is the shattering part, it has a teak platform. No Line-X, nothing, just a teak platform. And at that time of the year, the platform will be blingin.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-18-2011, 6:35 AM Reply   
Jeremy, where do you ride at in TN?
Old    Ron1xNautique            02-18-2011, 7:09 AM Reply   
Jeremy, I did see your post above and so I don't understand why you would bother making that second comment? and my comment wasn't aimed mostly towards you.

Pete started this thread to get good advice not hack up his OEM platform or build some POS to slap on his newer Tige'. Maybe anyone who isn't skilled, knowledgable or wants give Pete the best advice in HIS situation shouldn't post?!

Can we get back to Pete and his platform project now?
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-18-2011, 7:10 AM Reply   
haha wow i haven't checked in for a day or two....this thread really took a turn for the worst...

I am not saying I don't like Teak... the previous owner of my 20i didn't exactly do my any favors on the Teak and its just time to replace it... I would much rather put in a little EXTRA dough and work to get the perfect swim platform for my boat/surf wave... I don't really want to add anymore weight because the 20i is pretty shallow already and takes on some water as it is. Rebuilding is my best option!

Anybody know how to make a perfectly uniform arc? I know this is a weird question but I am having a hard time figuring out how to design my platform... below are the two designs that I am thinking about.. Which one do you like the best? The top one will be much easier to build but I am thinking the bottom one would look better. And then there is the whole how do I make the perfect arc for it... i have no clue how to do that. Let me know what you guys think

Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-18-2011, 8:48 AM Reply   
Parker, I live in Chattanooga, so during the week we ride on Chickamauga. On Sundays, we either hit the river below the dam or Hiawassee.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-18-2011, 9:30 AM Reply   
Pete I like the 2nd one. I like the more natural curve.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-18-2011, 10:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
haha wow i haven't checked in for a day or two....this thread really took a turn for the worst...

I am not saying I don't like Teak... the previous owner of my 20i didn't exactly do my any favors on the Teak and its just time to replace it... I would much rather put in a little EXTRA dough and work to get the perfect swim platform for my boat/surf wave... I don't really want to add anymore weight because the 20i is pretty shallow already and takes on some water as it is. Rebuilding is my best option!

Anybody know how to make a perfectly uniform arc? I know this is a weird question but I am having a hard time figuring out how to design my platform... below are the two designs that I am thinking about.. Which one do you like the best? The top one will be much easier to build but I am thinking the bottom one would look better. And then there is the whole how do I make the perfect arc for it... i have no clue how to do that. Let me know what you guys think

You wont be able to make it parabolic like your picture, it will have to be a section of a big circle if that makes sense.
Best bet to get the curve will be to use a string with a pencil tied to it, tie the other end of the string to something low, then use the length of the string (radius of arc) to adjust how shallow or deep your arc will be.
Hope that makes sense, ill try and find a video demonstrating. Itll be tough to cut that sucker so it looks nice the whole way though. aree you planning on using a router or a jig saw? This might be a stretch, but you might actually be able to use that string/radius concept with the router once you have the line draw, this might help make it accurate. free hand cutting it so it looks uniform will be hard.

Last edited by ilikebeaverandboats; 02-18-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-18-2011, 10:23 AM Reply   
It is possible to draw an elliptical section. for your appplication it will take a little playing but it is doable.

You want two nails or screws installed into your pattern,platform. These will be somewhat inboard of the far left and right edge, equal distance from teh center line.

You will then tie a length of string between the two fasteners. leave the line sloppy.

Using your pencil, start over by one fastener and put it next to the strig pulling it tight.

Now keeping the string the same tightness, push the pencil towards the other fastener. The string will give you an elliptical arc as your pencil moves from one side to the other.

the width of the two nails/screws will need to be tweaked, and you will want to tweak the length of the string too, but with a little patience, you can get a smoot non-circle curve that will work for what you need.

Phil
Kicker
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-18-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
In this picture, the black straight lines represent the string. The string is tied to the black dots that represent the fasteners, (nakls or screws). The red line is thh arc generated by tracing along the taught string. the yellow and gray blob is my crummy attempt at drawing a pencil...

NOTE: The arc will be wider than the distance between the to fasteners, so don't install them right at the edge and expect it to work.

Short string will result in a very shallow depth arc, (measured from teh line between the two fasteners and the poutermost edge of the arc). Longer string will give you more curve and a deeper arc.

Hopefully these pics make it easier to understand my suggestion in the post above

Phil
Kicker
Attached Images

Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       02-18-2011, 12:04 PM Reply   
That is awesome, great picture, thanks for that.

I have a teak platform that someone put a really slippery finish on, totally dangerous. One of the pieces of wood is also warped. I'm going to take it apart, sand it all down, probably router the edges of the top boards so they have spaces between them (right now they're tight together) and put it all back together. I like teak but when people put the wrong finish on it it really makes it dangerous. It's like a varnish or something that dried really hard and slippery, almost like outdoor deck sealer or something.
Old    Ron1xNautique            02-18-2011, 2:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberworks View Post
That is awesome, great picture, thanks for that.

I have a teak platform that someone put a really slippery finish on, totally dangerous. One of the pieces of wood is also warped. I'm going to take it apart, sand it all down, probably router the edges of the top boards so they have spaces between them (right now they're tight together) and put it all back together. I like teak but when people put the wrong finish on it it really makes it dangerous. It's like a varnish or something that dried really hard and slippery, almost like outdoor deck sealer or something.
It may be different depending on year/model of your boat but the tip of the screws are probably less than a 1/4" from the top surface so when your sanding/routing be careful not to remove too much material or you might end up exposing the screw tips. The green medium Scotch pads worked really well when I did it, it won't raise the grain or leave any scratches and makes getting into tight spots and doing the rounded edges easier but it's alot of work that way.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-18-2011, 5:35 PM Reply   

Here is a before and after of mine. Its alot of work that does not last that long and is not worth it to me. I would much rather spend time doing other stuff pretty much anything othere than doing this all the time.So I am "lazy" I just like the look of the fiberglass and foam pad better. The older boats look fine with teak. Thats what they were back then but IMPO new boats need the new look- fiberglass and foam. IMPO a 50k boat with a teak platform looks like you got cheap when it came to choosing a platform. Like a Z06 with hubcaps. If oyu like the wood thats fine but its would not be my choice if I were getting a new boat. The most cost effective way for me to get the look I like is to make one of wood line x it and put a foam pad on it. Or if some one has a black fiberglass one and they want to trade for a teak I am in.
So it all goes back to the orginal post. He ask about making a custom platform of wood line x it white to match color of his boat and put a foam pad on it. I think it would look badazz cheap easy effective way to update the look of your boat and have a better surf wave. Its a no brainer to me.Go For It!!
Old    Ron1xNautique            02-18-2011, 7:27 PM Reply   
^let's not start that "discussion" again plz

Pete if you use "linex/herceliner etc" what about trying to find something that you could spray smooth and textured? You could spray your whole platform smooth then tape off the top or even make a graphic with the tape, mask what you want left smooth then spray texture and remove tape before its fully cured. You wouldn't have to worry about buying foam or having it separate and you'd have a smooth bottom with traction on top. I think the graphic would be cool, just a thought. PS you might want to apply a few coats of poly resin to your platform before you spray it

Last edited by Ron1xNautique; 02-18-2011 at 7:29 PM. Reason: .
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-23-2011, 9:25 AM Reply   
sorry I haven't check this lately... been busy...

I figured I would have to use a string to draw the arc but I was just wondering if anybody who is smarter than me knew of a better way...

Phil,

couldn't I just use a certain length of string (would be the radius of the circle) and pull the string tight and follow it to make the arc? I would have to play with the length of the string to get it right but I would think it would be easier... maybe not... I may not totally understand your method...

I am think I am going to need to play with a bunch of stuff to get this to work

I don't want to make the platform so skinny you can't stand on it... or make the brackets not fit...

anyone know if the brackets can be ordered thru Tige? I would liek to try and sell my teak when I finish the project so keeping the brackets with it would help sell it
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-23-2011, 9:28 AM Reply   
ok phil,

i reread your posts... i understand what you are saying now... I am going to try and do some mock up with chalk on concrete! that way I don't have a MILLION lines on a piece of ply
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-23-2011, 9:29 AM Reply   
cutting won't be that bad with a jigsaw... then move to a round edge router...
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-23-2011, 9:35 AM Reply   
Ron1x,

love your idea of a smooth finish then texturing for traction with graphics in the middle.... I really wish I was a talented artist to try this... know of a way to get a Tige emblem cut out that I could use as a stencil?
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-23-2011, 11:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
.....its just time to replace it... I would much rather put in a little EXTRA dough and work to get the perfect swim platform for my boat/surf wave... [/IMG]
I've rarely seen a teak platform that was too far gone to be reconditioned. It would probably be cheaper and quicker to modify your teak platform than to build an etirely new one. Just my humble opinion.
Attached Images

Old     (iRIDEWAKES)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-23-2011, 8:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Ron1x,

love your idea of a smooth finish then texturing for traction with graphics in the middle.... I really wish I was a talented artist to try this... know of a way to get a Tige emblem cut out that I could use as a stencil?
Pete,
If you have a print shop or even a good size bakery in your area your area they should be able to enlarge an image for you if you can provide them with one( sticker,print off etc.) Glad you liked the idea I thought it was a good one too

Oh and if you set the pivot point of your string farther away perpendicularly the radius of the arc will get larger leaving you with a more subtle give and give you more of a platform
Old     (iRIDEWAKES)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-23-2011, 8:39 PM Reply   
Must be getting tired^ "a more subtle curve and also a larger platform as a result"
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-24-2011, 6:08 AM Reply   
yeah Im gonna have to go get some chalk so I can mess around with the shape some...