Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old    moombarider132            05-25-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
i was thinking of buying a malibu wedge and having it installed on my 05 moomba outback. would this be compatible? if so how much would the wedge, installation, etc. cost? and how would i get one because i obviously cant go through my dealer
Old    swass            05-25-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
I don't recommend it, for several reasons.

1) It'll void your warranty.

2) Malibu won't sell you one without a valid Malibu hull ID number.

Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-25-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
I wouldn't even think about trying it man, Malibu reinforces their transom to support the stress that the wedge puts on the hull, your boat isn't designed to have that stress and it would probaly void any warranty you have on your hull.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-25-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
I think it would be easier and a lot less costly to go with a wakeplate vs a wedge. Im not a engineer but Im sure the downward force added by the wedge would require alot of hull reinforcement just to keep it from tearing the hull apart.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-25-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
KG why would he want a wakeplate instead of a wedge? A wakeplate serves a completely different purpose.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-25-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
Check that Whaletail thing Session put on their boats in 05. It's being marketed under a diffrent name, and sold to the public to put on anything. I wanna say it's Wake up or something like that.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-25-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
Very dangous idea- Sack the boat and wake plate it if you need to shape it further. Wedges and other drag hardware are REALLY hard on the trasom and It would be a seriously bad day to crack your hull trying something like this.
Old    moombarider132            05-25-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
ok ok chill out it was just an idea and probably wouldnt happen even if you guyz "recommended" it
thanks for the feed back
Old     (sanguine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-25-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
http://www.switchbladewake.com/default.htm

I believe this is being used on Centurions? I don't know if any have been installed on Supras/Moombas... maybe talk to a dealer to see if the hull can take it? It would be cool to see.

(Message edited by sanguine on May 25, 2006)
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-25-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
I say, reinforce your hull and try it. Then post back with your results. Some simple math should resolve the question of wither it'll rip off the back of the boat.

Transom Plate
http://cgi.ebay.com/Malibu-Wedge-Transom-Plate-and-Transom-Backing-Plate_W0QQitemZ4643537960QQcategoryZ26455QQssPageN ameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wedge:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Malibu-Boats-Standard-Wedge_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26455QQitemZ46429 75935QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-25-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
Why would you want that junk anyway! It's going to cost you a grand and could rip the A$@ end off of your boat, the darn thing only adds like 700-1000 lbs of ballast. You could swing by the Krispy Kreme and offer free boat rides and pick up that much ballast quick.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-25-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
I am a big fan of the wedge, but don't reccomend you try it on your boat!!!

Danny, why do you call the wedge junk? Its a great tool that helps give the wake size and shape(lip). Because of how it forces the transom of the boat down it has been said that it is equal to 900lbs of ballast. However, with the wedge you arn't taking up precious storage space (v-drive) and floor space (dd). The wedge has some drawbacks as well. The earlier ones were manual and you had to stick your hand in the water to lower or raise it, and it can make your boat drive like a dog (even worse the ballast IMO). Other then those two things I don't see any other drawbacks to the wedge...so IMO its not junk.
Old    mendo247            05-25-2006, 9:14 PM Reply   
to answer your question...

yes it could be put on..
Old    mendo247            05-25-2006, 9:17 PM Reply   
id like to see it but i wouldnt recomend it..
Old     (bat0525)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-26-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
PATRICK LOADING YOUR BOAT DOWN WITH BALLAST MAKES YOUR BOAT DRIVE LIKE A DOG SO WHY NOT BE ABLE TO DO IT FASTER BY DROPPPING THE WEDGE.WHATS SO WRONG WITH GETTING YOUR HAND WET DROPPING THE WEDGE AREN'T YOU GETTING IN TO WAKEBOARD ANY WAY.IF MALIBU REINFORCE THE TRANSOM WHY CAN'T MOOMBA BOY SOME STEEL PLATES AND FIBERGLASS IS ALL YOU NEED.YOU CAN DO IT MOOBA DUDE.NOTHING BEATS THE WEDGE.IF THE BOAT SINKS YOU HAVE INSURANCE.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-26-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
Danny, you're a *****.

The Wedge is still the fastest, most efficient way to shape your wake. "Junk" is hauling hundreds of pounds in lead around all day.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-26-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
With the exclusion of Wakesurfing, I know a lot of people, including myself, who ride with the wedge up. I'll add 4 Fat Sacs and not touch the wedge. The Wedge makes my 04 VLX wake too 'lippy.' I was even thinking about taking it off and hanging it in my garage.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-26-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
i see danny has focused his energy away from mastercraft and has moved on to bashing malibu. now all he needs is a cute photoshopped image of a vlx transom that says "malibutt" for his profile pic.

i was skeptical about the wedge's effectiveness until i got my vlx. i'm not going to try to attach a numeric value for the equivalent ballast weight, but the wedge makes a HUGE difference, especially on the newer hulls. ride a stock malibu and then a stock + wedge malibu, and it's like riding two different wakes (both of which are good, but decidedly unique). not only does the wedge "suck" the rear of the hull down increasing size and steepness, but the wedge itself alters the vortexes (vorteces?) under the water's surface changing the wake's shape and adding firmness. the only time i don't use mine is when we have a LOT of people and/or ballast (in which case, the wedge loses a lot of its effectiveness) or when we have to run a turn-heavy line because the wedge absolutely swallows gas on turns, shooting up the rpm's.

any way, i really want to see someone try a wedge on a non-malibu boat...just run it by your insurance company first
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-26-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
Jeff,
What year VLX do ride?

Why run it by the insurance company? hopefully the evidence will be at the bottom of the lake. haha..
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-26-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
'05. If I was using 4 sacs, there's no way I would use the wedge. I ride stock or less 99% of the time, and the wedge seems to work perfectly for a lightweight day (2000 lbs. or less of water ballast). When I've had a sacked out or overcrowded boat, the wedge almost does more harm than good and does seem to result in a "lippy" wake unless we're going 24+ mph. I assume it's because the hull at the water's surface is wider with the extra sacs, and the wedge struggles to pull that much of the hull down.

True about insurance. If anything goes terribly wrong,

"The boat hit a stump in reverse. Honest."
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-26-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
Does anyone have the thread about the guy who did it on an old Mastercraft? If i remember correctly, he had to grind a notch in his rudder so the wedge wouldn't hit it.
Old    swass            05-26-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
I was looking for that picture myself. It was a Prostar 190. That's the only non-Malibu install I've seen.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-26-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
I think that was Jim (CCRider). Squid can probably tell you more about it also.
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-26-2006, 3:28 PM Reply   
I am sorry if I offended anyone.
When I used the term "Junk" I was referring to what his boat would be if he drilled holes in the transom and added another manufactures parts to his boat.
If any of you were in the market for a used boat and saw this crap bolted to the transom would you buy? Or would you continue to search for something that some teen had not drilled holes in and rigged because he was disappointed in the performance of the boat. (As is)

Remember he is thinking of doing this to a 2005 boat.

Resale now $35,000
Resale after he drills holes in it ?????

If you want a wedge, trade your boat in on a Malibu. Maybe someone will get your Moombus thing, that will enjoy it the way it is.

Old    moombarider132            05-26-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
yo dude you i love my boat and am very impressed with its performance but i add 2200 pounds ever time i ride and think the wedge would make it slightly easier btw it was just an idea and ISNT going to happen and i could give a less about resale value anywayz as i DONT plan on selling my boat.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-26-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
Just add the switch blade they are more than happy to sell you one

http://www.switchbladewake.com
Old    moombarider132            05-26-2006, 8:22 PM Reply   
BTW Danny, if you didnt have your head so far up ur ass maybe you would read the original post that states "having it installed" therefore i would not drill holes in it a profesional would so take your moombus bulls#!t somewhere else
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-26-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
as an option on a Centurion they are 2500-3000 I think I would contact the web site and see if there is a dealer in your area or if they will sell you one.
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-27-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
yo dude •••••••• you i love my boat and am very impressed with its performance but i add 2200 pounds ever time i ride and think the wedge would make it slightly easier }

Sounds like your impressed with a Malibu to me.