Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (utmba95)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-01-2021, 12:33 PM Reply   
I've seen a post that said that some wakeboard or ski boats have the rudder flush to the hull rather than recessed like most. I hit the rudder really hard and I can't find a repair shop that can repair it anytime soon. The fiberglass was pushed up and cracked all the way through. Shaping the recess in the hull is the only thing that makes this a difficult job, and I'm questioning how necessary it is. I have a hard time believing a 4" x 4" x 1/4" protrusion behind the strut will affect performance. I already have two large nuts about 2" x 1/2" on Tsunami 1200 pumps sticking through. I bought the boat new in 2001 and don't plan on selling it, so I'm not worried about resale value. Thoughts?
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-01-2021, 8:11 PM Reply   
Pics please.
Old     (utmba95)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-02-2021, 4:57 AM Reply   
Like in this thread: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799568
The hardest part is shaping the pocket that the rudder port sits in. It would be much easier to make the bottom of the boat flat. I can't think of any real benefit to recessing the rudder port. I've repaired mine twice already, but this last strike damaged the fiberglass and not just gel coat.

Last edited by utmba95; 06-02-2021 at 5:00 AM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-03-2021, 10:51 AM Reply   
probably not an issue. post a pic
Old     (WakeSpice)      Join Date: Jan 2016       06-03-2021, 12:37 PM Reply   
The flat is for flush mounting. You will want to work to get it back as it was. If not there will most likely be leaks due to difficulty getting a good seal and your boat may not run straight.
Old     (TTyler89)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-07-2021, 7:26 AM Reply   
Yes it needs to be put back in the same recessed position. If not you take a chance of the water lifting the rudder post away from the hull and water seeping in. Also your steering cable will not line back up and will be put in a bind now that its sitting almost an inch lower. Without seeing pics of the damage, there's no way to tell you which direction to go on repair. Also do not use epoxy (West Systems) over polyester fiberglass resin. Yes epoxy will Stick but it will not break down the binder in fiberglass mat and polyester will not stick to epoxy if any later repair is necessary.