Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       08-13-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
Closed toed boots are still retarded and there is not a whole of options in OT out there anymore. And I just bought some 09, OT Watson Boots to replace my 07's so is it ok if I bag on the new binding system, or is that still retarded?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-13-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
So it's the same binding, with different boots. I assume the boots are different in support and flex. They are still strapped into the same binding, correct? So in snowboarding, much of the flex and poke comes from the combination of boots and bindings, I personally attribute it mainly to the flex/setup of the binding, not the boot, but I've rocked softer boots forever. I guess I don't see how there can be much difference from boot to boot, since they are strapped into the same binding, as well as what will make them different other than how they tighten down (mechanism wise).

Quote:
As for tweaking and poking out grabs, forget about it, the System allows you a freedom like no other boot out there. Traditional boots have hard sidewalls for the boot to be sewn to, these do not. The sidewall of the System Chassis is so minimal you can slam your ankle in any direction as far as you desire.
Do you want that much movement, especially toe to heel? The strapped in and immediate response should be greater with the System toe to heel, but seem to give in some places other binding would not (high ankle maybe). Most of the better tweaker bindings have great support front to back, and give side to side. A lot of that support seems needed for more progressive riding. Be cool to try at some point.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-13-2010, 5:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveoz View Post
Closed toed boots are still retarded
thats retarded.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-13-2010, 7:17 PM Reply   
Im in knoxville.. i saw the hyperlite 2011 Team binding and 2011 Byerly binding. very nice, regular "old fashioned" bindings. Nate working the booth told me he had the system but one of the other guys took it somewhere. maybe tmw. ether way, hyperlite is still making normal boots too. so there are options..........
btw a lot of 2011 gear being used here.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-13-2010, 7:24 PM Reply   
Can't wait to check it out tomorrow.
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-14-2010, 3:01 AM Reply   
Just rode the new system and it was sick. Really similar feel to my snowboard setup. Just like going from open toe boots to closed toes years ago this is the next step in responsiveness.

I rode some prototypes and there is still a few changes to come from what i rode today but I was stoked on the new system and will be riding them next season for sure. Anyone doubting this whole system will just have to try it out for themselves.

Before I thought that they would be stiffer than my old boots (Audios) but the side to side flex was way better and the highbacks actually move with the boot so they can go backwards toward the heal edge so the flex I want in a boot is still there. The weight is very similar between the new boot/binding and my Audios, I cant really feel a difference between the them right now holding them both in my hands.

Try um out if you get the chance.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-16-2010, 4:20 PM Reply   
i rode them this last weekend at the new WOW cable park in Minden, NV. Hyperlite got the design of this right.

They are comfortable and SUPER flexable. I assumed these to be used only a few times, and they felt like they had been riden all year since they had a ton of flex from side to side, and front to back.

The base can attach to as many as (4) parts of a strata track system, (2) with conventional wakeboard hole patterns. We attached them to the Hyperlite Roam board, any felt zero heel or toe lift.

I cant wait to check out the other models, mainly the ones with the boa.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-16-2010, 8:37 PM Reply   
Besides comfort, my main concern with any product these days is that IT DOESNT BREAK, and IT WORKS. I've literally gone 5 years from lace locks that don't lock, lace loops breaking, straps snapping, to much padding in the tongue that we had to cut out, wearing socks for comfort, etc etc etc. Boards I don't have much problem with, but the bindings have been "turrable." I'm a Hyperlite guy, but I ride with a bunch of CWB guys and they have had multiple issues too. Bottom line, the companies aren't making products for us "core" riders. They make this stuff for peeps that get out 5-10 times a year and maybe jump w2w and do a 180 or 2. They just aren't building products for guys who have multiple inverts and spins and get out 3 times a week, with multiple camping/HB trips. They'd rather build stuff cheap for the avg Joe, and handle us via warranty.

I tried on Brodie's boots in the boat, but didn't get to ride them yet. When I laced them up and strapped in it was the 1st time my foot felt "embedded" since the 02' Temets or Murray's. I like a tight boot. Not stiff, but tight. The lace system on these tightened up nicely, the lace lock worked, and when you ratchet it down.......glorious. For me there is no worse feeling than cutting in hard for a crow or something and feeling the laces give way and loosen up.

Give it a try guys. And you won't wear the boots all day. Put them on for your set, then take them off. If anything, IT WILL SAVE TIME. While your boy is finishing his set, you put your boots on. When he jumps in, you step in, ratchet ratchet, and you're off the swimdeck. Its faster!!!! Yes, we may have a couple pairs of boots laying around on the boat floor, but with 3-5 fat sacks, 4 backpacks, Brodie's 3 bags(haha) an ice chest, etc etc etc....there's always a ton of shiat in the boat anyways. Who cares. I Love it all. Thats our game guys!!

As long as the quality of the rubber (toe and heel strap, lowback) and the ratchets are the quality of snowboard gear, this will be a HUGE upgrade to Wake-Technology. I ride my snowboard gear HARD. Its COLD and powdery, we're dropping 30ft cliffs, hitting way bigger kickers, riding rails and boxes, etc, and my bindings and boots last 3-4 seasons. I would give ANYTHING for a pair of wakeboots to last that long. Maybe this will do the trick? I look forward to trying.

Have an open mind, you may be surprised.
Old     (Southbound_Ace)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-16-2010, 9:18 PM Reply   
I have not had the chance to read all these post on the topic BUT I did have the chance to try the boot on and look at the System bindings this past weekend while on the lake with two of our regional HL reps.

~The boots are very light in comparison to other bindings on the market this past season from other manufactures.

~The overall fit and feel of the boot is much like that of a snowboard boot with true heel support and comfort all the way around the foot which continues up above the ankle area.

~The binding portion of the System is light weight and much like that of a snowboard binding giving you a few more options on the degree you want your feet set at for comfort.

~The base material on the boot looks to be super solid for light wear and tear (this is not going to be your saturday night out on the town shoe) with that being said cable park and winching is going to be so quick and easy compared to the past.

~For those that have issues wearing "shoes" all day in the boat.. Wakeskaters do it all the time and guess what... These things have laces so take them off when you get in the boat if you don't want to wear them. Overall you add a full 2 steps to your "strapping in" process from todays bindings with the added 2 extra buckles per bindings.

~Another fun option for those that ride a board for hitting rails and one for just hitting the water you can switch up easier by just stepping off one and on to the other. Better yet you can ride your friends set up with out having to waste time of changing bindings over.

~Multiple riders in the family that ride the same board? I ran into this issue all the time when I ran Bennett's Pro Shop. My 16yr son wears an 11 shoe and my 14yr son wears a 9.5 but they booth ride a 137 board... now you can get custom fit boots for each kid since you where not going to fork out cash for two new wakeboard setups for each kid.

Cheers, -Ace
SouthboundDesign.com
Thanks for reading....

Last edited by Southbound_Ace; 08-16-2010 at 9:23 PM. Reason: correction
Old     (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       08-16-2010, 9:22 PM Reply   
looks awesome, theres a video on youtube of marc shuster at rixen riding the system and i believe he has the white ones on in the bottom left hand corner of that picture.
Old    SamIngram            08-16-2010, 9:40 PM Reply   
From looking at the boots and bindings whats to stop the binding from smacking me in the butt on a hard landing? I regularly drop my butt do the board on double-ups and when landing in the flats.... it appears to have the same potential problem the CWB Zues bindings had of hitting you in the butt.

Overall I'm all ready to try them out. On my boat we do "Blitzkrieg Runs" when dawn is approaching and we have flat water we go for broke and everyone has to get ready for their set and get back in the boat after their set as quickly as possible. These would probably work out well for that... lol.

My last "boot" experience was with the slingshot boots and liners and I will NEVER use that crap again!
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-17-2010, 1:57 AM Reply   
question: will this binding system work on non -hyperlite boards?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-17-2010, 5:56 AM Reply   
Can't wait to see how the finished product looks.

Last edited by chattwake; 08-17-2010 at 5:59 AM.
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-17-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
Why do some of you think you need to be "ejected" from your bindings in a crash? There was a company that tried to market releasable snowboard bindings years ago, claiming they would reduce injury. Research actually shosed that they were more cause for injury. How many of you have ever had the scary feeling of one foot coming out while you're flailing through the air, hoping that the bourd doesn't smack your shin, or even worse, your face? When you have the risk of one foot coming out your board becomes a wrench that can essentially twist your knee into oblivion.

I personally can't wait to try out the new system. I love the feel of doing a nose press on my snowboard without the feeling of my back foot moving or coming out, and that will be sweet to feel on my wakeboard as well. I think a lot of you are focusing more on how this will affect you off the water and not how it will help you on the water.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-17-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
do they have the toe cap type of strap up front or the older style over the top of the foot?
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-17-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
They do fit on non-hyperlite boards too, but it would be silly to use them on anything but the best!

buy a new hyperlite board with the new bindings!
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-03-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
It's a toe cap A-dub
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-03-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
So fdcking stoked!!!! How can you not be pumped for theses boots sooo effing sick
Old     (greenmoose)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-08-2010, 4:01 AM Reply   
@wakeviolater: lol you don't have an idea how many hyperlite boards broke this season. I know at least 2 rider who broke more than 40 a year ... just a fact sry.

@somebuddy: word ! this binding system will be the first hyperlite product which i really like
Old     (bencahn)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-13-2010, 6:56 AM Reply   
Hello everyone. Some of you seem to have an issue about bindings releasing if you crash ... 1st, as a snowboarder, I can tell that no injury occurs if your feet are well tightened in your boots, whatever happens.
2nd, here's a video of why you don't want your foot to release on a wakeboard :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HlzdeI4Luo

I will buy these new system bindings, they seem great, and i'm fed up with walking barefoot on rocks and getting cuts...
Old     (rapha)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-14-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/sur...010-hyperlite/
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-14-2010, 3:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencahn View Post
I can tell that no injury occurs if your feet are well tightened in your boots, whatever happens.
tell my foot that. i suffered a lis franc fracture dislocation from LEVERING my foot into the first run of CWB Faction hinge boots. my forefoot was held down so tight that something had to give when by body bent over it. there is a difference between tight and secure.
Old    mojo            09-14-2010, 3:54 PM Reply   
i fractured all the ligaments in my foot in some 08 one boots. i landed with all my weight on my back foot on a toe 0ff 5 and my foot came half out and bent very oddly. my boots fit perfectly. needless to say i have not tried one since then and it was almost 2 years ago.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-14-2010, 7:55 PM Reply   
I really think bindings have been going in the wrong direction. I dont like closed toe, and hate the fact that there are so few open toe bindings to choose from.

snowboarding has boots because its snow. its cold to walk in, you need cold weather protection. The same is not true of wakeboarding. Who wants to wear boots?!? hmm..wet warm boots in 100 degree weather, yummy. Whats that? just take them off? then whats the purpose? throw 4 extra pairs of boots in my boat that used to just be attached to the boards in the racks? no thanks.

as far as not coming out, worst pain I ever had was with a pair of brown murry boas 07's? my heal pulled halfway out of the binding and jammed al the bones in my foot together. hapened the forst 2 times and ONLY 2 times I rode that bindings.

I wish I could still buy ultrasucs.

Last edited by dizzyj; 09-14-2010 at 8:02 PM.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-14-2010, 8:06 PM Reply   
seriously? you feel your feet warming up that much? i know when i ride, i don't ever notice my feet warming up. and no, i don't prefer closed-toe over open-toe bindings.
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-14-2010, 10:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
Codi, how do you knowing will add weight, have you tried them? My binding set up on my snowboard is lighter than my bindings on my wakeboard. How do you know they limit flex? Looks like they have cut them lower on the back of the calf, which makes me think they had flex in mind. I think your speculating without trying them. Do you snowboard?
yes i snowboard. I ride up in tahoe non stop all winter. I started snowboardign before i ever started wakeboarding now that i think about it. Idk what wake bindings youre riding but it sounds like you got some heavy a$$ bindings if theyre heavier than your snowboard boots and bindings together. Im fanatic about a light snow and wake setup. I have new Burton Cartel bindings which are SUPER light snow bindings and some extremely light DC boots. But theyre still a little heavier than my 09 Watson close toes. But idk, to each his own!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-15-2010, 7:04 AM Reply   
I assume if boots laying around are that much of a pain, you can strap them back into the bindings.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-23-2010, 1:53 AM Reply   
its been a while, anybody else managed ride the new system?
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       09-23-2010, 6:19 AM Reply   
Got to ride with Shaun Murray the past weekend and the boots are SO light. I can see these holding up longer as the boot itself isn't really taking the punishment or abuse that bindings do now. I was very surprised that the binding backs are fixed to the binding unlike snowboard bindings.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-23-2010, 1:26 PM Reply   
It's so easy say SO light. Anybody knows real weight of HL system and others competitors in the same size of boots? My guess it's few OZ but not sure in HL side.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-23-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
How does its' use hit other(smaller) markets before here?
Old     (PictureMeRollin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-23-2010, 3:38 PM Reply   
Why not just slap some real snowboard bindings and boots on your wakeboard. it would certainly be cheaper and probably just as good.

Last edited by PictureMeRollin; 09-23-2010 at 3:39 PM. Reason: edit
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-23-2010, 3:44 PM Reply   
Real snowboard bindings aren't the same style setup as these. The backs of these flex back with your boots for when you poke out grabs. Also, snowboard boots would weigh too much. They're not made to drain water like these boots are.
Old    mojo            09-23-2010, 3:51 PM Reply   
if the back flexes, what's the point of having it there? it doesn't affect your heelside edge like a snowboard highback.
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-23-2010, 3:54 PM Reply   
The point of having it there is to give the back of your ankle/heel and leg support. It's not super loose and just bends back relatively easy.
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-23-2010, 3:56 PM Reply   
It's seems pressure activated to where it comes back into place much easier than it flexes back
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-23-2010, 4:28 PM Reply   
I found my new snowboard boots!!! im just gonna get a pair of hyperlites this year....instead of a new pair of DC's with the boa...
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       09-23-2010, 4:48 PM Reply   
Colin P, two summers ago, i mounted my burton mission binders to my ss recoil 142 and used old lamar boots, the setup worked great for quick in/out, winching, etc. but like np3 said once the boots filled up with water and soaked into the material it was pretty heavy.

saying that i would prob still use my burton missions as these hl binders look kinda cheap and just use the boots since that would eliminate the weight problem b4
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-23-2010, 7:59 PM Reply   
These boots are a lot thinner than any snowboard boot I have ever used. I know it wouldn't work with my snowboard bindings and mine are a pair of burton missions from a few years ago. I got to see the binding last Friday and it looked pretty durable to me. I just wish I could try a pair to see how they ride.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-24-2010, 12:57 AM Reply   
Why copy tradition snowboard bindings, Flow bindings make more sense from a wakeboard perspective.

We took the base plate off some 08 Ronix and used them with some Flow bindings, but without the Nova core all we could ride was a snowboard, which with the camber they have (had ;p ) naturally makes them very difficult to ride on water.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       09-24-2010, 5:26 AM Reply   
love them
Old     (Dmcastino)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-01-2010, 9:17 PM Reply   
Some of the close mindedness in this thread is just nuts and a lot of the arguments are crazy too. For example, for everyone talking about how nobody is gonna want to wear boots all day in the sun or they dont let people wear shoes in there boat etc etc., well thats great, you can just take the things off! Nobody's super-glueing the things to your feet, you've got to get out of your current bindings anyway, so now you just have to do that plus get out of the snowboard style binding, which adds all of like what 3 seconds for snowboarders to kick out of? So why the hell can't you just take them on and off haha. Personally I'm definitely considering buying these, I think there is a huge potential for these to be way more durable than traditional bindings requiring nothing but shoelaces and wires the size of fishing line to hold my feet to some fabric and foam thats connected to a board.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-02-2010, 9:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmoose View Post
I know at least 2 rider who broke more than 40 a year ... just a fact sry.
For Serious? 40 boards? I have a hard time believing that. They are breaking more than 3 boards a month assuming they are riding every day of the year? lol
Old    mojo            10-02-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
i agree about breaking 40 boards. what, are they making them out of plywood? as for the close mindedness...this system is not new. mike weddington had a set over a decade ago. i grew up on hyperlite stuff. now i won't ever buy anything from them again. it's really important to me to not support umbrella corporations who do not manufacture here. life is limited in that respect so when i can i take advantage of the choice. i did see the muray and marek boards are "built" in the usa. i doubt any of the materials are from here. go buy something made in the usa.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-02-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
A few years back before they started to make these cable specific boards with 'grind' bases and reinforced rails, elite cable riders would burn through a board so fast it wasn't even funny. That being said, 40 boards is doing some MAJOR work.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-03-2010, 5:25 PM Reply   
i've been riding cable for about 10 years and some of my friends are the worst board breakers i have ever seen and they definitely don't snap anywhere near 40 boards a season. first of all, their sponsor would drop them because they are just too expensive, and if you are breaking that many boards, then you need to get with another board company with stronger stuff.
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-04-2010, 12:55 PM Reply   
at least they skipped ahead of snowboard binding development by 30 years and put a toe strap on the binding.
Old     (spearing)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-05-2010, 7:27 PM Reply   
I have a pair of XTC's one of the best boots i ever owned as far as feel for the board, but they didnt release one time and I never rode them again.

i like this boot and binding idea and if in the boat you only nned to put them on when in the boat as the other rider is finishing up and when done leve them strapped into the board on the rack durrrrrr.

sweet idea i just hope they release.
Old     (rawB)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-10-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
Has anyone had the opportunity to try these yet?
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-10-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
the more I think about it the more I like it. Getting your boots on while the other guys is getting out of the water putting the binding on will take 10 seconds. The only issue is you now have boots laying around your boat and if your storage if full of ballast that might be a pain in the ass. Still thinking it might be worth it and the ability to have multiple board with bindings so you can have your cable board and boat board and use the same boots. I guess we will see how it catches on.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-10-2010, 6:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearing View Post
I have a pair of XTC's one of the best boots i ever owned as far as feel for the board, but they didnt release one time and I never rode them again.

i like this boot and binding idea and if in the boat you only nned to put them on when in the boat as the other rider is finishing up and when done leve them strapped into the board on the rack durrrrrr.

sweet idea i just hope they release.
Ha ha nice to know Im not the only ones who had the original XTC's!

I was kinda the same, I loved those bindings, till I caught a front edge trying an sbend, they didnt release. Lets just say I never tried an sbend behind the boat again.

Man those things were secure tho.. pretty heavy from memory also
Old     (pprill)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-10-2010, 11:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawB View Post
Has anyone had the opportunity to try these yet?
Yes, i was already able to try the new system a few weeks ago!
to make it short, i was really suprised how good it works! the contact to the board i so direct and i got no heel and toe lift with the system. but i only ride it 30 minutes and i was not allowed to ride obstacles due to the 2011 boards which should be used afterwards as a distributer samples.

i expect a heavy boot which get even more heavy when its wet. but it isnt. It is very comfortable, specially at the cold weather here in germany. But it looks totaly stupid as well. Imagen you weare a long wetsuit, with boardshorts, vest and helmet and this boots. everyone at the cablepark was looking confused.

Neverless, i propose everyone to give it a try! it is like the flex boards, some people like it some dont.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-11-2010, 12:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
\The only issue is you now have boots laying around your boat and if your storage if full of ballast that might be a pain in the ass.
so put 'em back on the board! see how easy it was for me to make an issue a non-issue?
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-11-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
^^^ Exactly they're made to go in the bindings. So why not just put the boots in the bindings when you are done?
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-11-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
I rode the system binding recently, and I'd love to tell you what I think about it.

My first impression upon holding the actual binding in my hands was that it was way different than any snowboard binding. I think a lot of snowboarders who have come into wakeboarding are the ones who may be especially concerned that flexibility may be an issue, given their understanding of how rigid a snowboard binding is. The construction of the HL system binding is a lot different. In holding it in your hands, you'll realize immediately that the binding is way more flexible than any snowboard binding and the materials used are much different. The skeleton of the binding is made of a strange rubbery material that I've never seen before. The straps are even softer, while the toecaps stretch a good deal the more you crank them tighter on the boot

The first thing you'll notice about the new boots are that they are narrower in design. It is my thought that this is because old boots needed a wider base plate to lock onto the board, requiring excess material. The new bindings fit my feet much better than any traditional boot I've rode in the past.

Its obvious that there are some huge advantages to having a separate boot and binding, like cable park for example, and being able to get your boots adjusted while your sitting in the boat rather than being hunched over on the swim platform. Thats about all I have to say on that matter.. I'll let the haters beat that dead horse… Now I'll tell you how they rode!

I rode the Cobalt boot (JD) in the system binding on the B-Side. My immediate impression was how light the setup was overall. I think since the system binding takes the place of the excess fabric and other soft materials found in traditional boots; there is just less water that gets retained as weight. Looking down at your feel while you ride is pretty cool, you'll see a lot more board that in the past was covered up by bulkier boots. Anyways-- I did a few heel 3s, toe 3s, t2b, some more of my standard repertoire i guess. I just found that the system binding gave the board a whole new level of responsiveness. My edge sense was just way more precise and consistent. Most toe side tricks were where I noticed right away how responsive the board was. Batwings for example require an edge from the bottom to the top of the wake that is pretty critical, and I was doing the most controllable batwings I've ever done before. One of my favorite tricks these days has also been heelside backside 180 with a boned out tail grab, going late to blind. I was really feeling that too. When I'd grab and poke, I though the binding allowed for a pretty nice consistent flex that I was hoping for.

Next year I have my heart set on the Marek boots in the system binding. I personally like a higher cut binding that the cobalt boot is certainly not. My feet fit the best in the Marek boot anyways. plus I like the boa!

This stuff is comparable to when the first closed toe bindings came out. Does anyone remember that? How many professional riders do you see these days still rockin the open toes? And benny g does not ride ultra suctions anymore if thats what you're thinking.. I imagine it will take a few early adopters which there will be, to realize that the system binding is legit. All the companies will eventually have something similar, and all the haters will have wished they got their 2 or 3 years back that they spent using outdated stuff!
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-11-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
What I'm curious about is how much this system will run? I'm in the market for new bindings next season and am thinking about these.
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-11-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
The system bindings will run MAP of 129.99 and the most expensive boot runs a MAP of 289.99. So, you're looking at $419.99 total of the two. Which is about the price of any high end binding out today.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-11-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
That's not too bad, right around where I was looking to spend. I'll have to demo them first though
Old    SamIngram            11-11-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
I posted this on the other thread, but here it is gain:

The bindings sell for $129.99,

and the boots for $269.99 or $289.99 . That adds up to $419.98 which seems like a lot to me...
Attached Images

Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-11-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtbernstein View Post
I rode the system binding recently, and I'd love to tell you what I think about it.

My first impression upon holding the actual binding in my hands was that it was way different than any snowboard binding. I think a lot of snowboarders who have come into wakeboarding are the ones who may be especially concerned that flexibility may be an issue, given their understanding of how rigid a snowboard binding is. The construction of the HL system binding is a lot different. In holding it in your hands, you'll realize immediately that the binding is way more flexible than any snowboard binding and the materials used are much different. The skeleton of the binding is made of a strange rubbery material that I've never seen before. The straps are even softer, while the toecaps stretch a good deal the more you crank them tighter on the boot

The first thing you'll notice about the new boots are that they are narrower in design. It is my thought that this is because old boots needed a wider base plate to lock onto the board, requiring excess material. The new bindings fit my feet much better than any traditional boot I've rode in the past.

Its obvious that there are some huge advantages to having a separate boot and binding, like cable park for example, and being able to get your boots adjusted while your sitting in the boat rather than being hunched over on the swim platform. Thats about all I have to say on that matter.. I'll let the haters beat that dead horse… Now I'll tell you how they rode!

I rode the Cobalt boot (JD) in the system binding on the B-Side. My immediate impression was how light the setup was overall. I think since the system binding takes the place of the excess fabric and other soft materials found in traditional boots; there is just less water that gets retained as weight. Looking down at your feel while you ride is pretty cool, you'll see a lot more board that in the past was covered up by bulkier boots. Anyways-- I did a few heel 3s, toe 3s, t2b, some more of my standard repertoire i guess. I just found that the system binding gave the board a whole new level of responsiveness. My edge sense was just way more precise and consistent. Most toe side tricks were where I noticed right away how responsive the board was. Batwings for example require an edge from the bottom to the top of the wake that is pretty critical, and I was doing the most controllable batwings I've ever done before. One of my favorite tricks these days has also been heelside backside 180 with a boned out tail grab, going late to blind. I was really feeling that too. When I'd grab and poke, I though the binding allowed for a pretty nice consistent flex that I was hoping for.

Next year I have my heart set on the Marek boots in the system binding. I personally like a higher cut binding that the cobalt boot is certainly not. My feet fit the best in the Marek boot anyways. plus I like the boa!

This stuff is comparable to when the first closed toe bindings came out. Does anyone remember that? How many professional riders do you see these days still rockin the open toes? And benny g does not ride ultra suctions anymore if thats what you're thinking.. I imagine it will take a few early adopters which there will be, to realize that the system binding is legit. All the companies will eventually have something similar, and all the haters will have wished they got their 2 or 3 years back that they spent using outdated stuff!
Still on the Hyperlite Legion Team Curt? Nice write up.
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-11-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
Hey bud, theres no sercrets here about my hyperlite love! I just figured I would try and offer some real insight considering I am probably the only one on this thread thats actually rode the new systems for a set. When it comes down to it, I could rep em all day long and then turn around and slap a new pair of 2011 team boots, or even one of the two 2011 byerly boots on my board if I so please... But you can pretty much count on me having the new marek/system on my new whip!
Old     (pprill)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-18-2010, 11:04 PM Reply   
for every one how understans german, they already tested the new system incl. a short video.
so curt are not the only one ride the new system already...

http://www.the-gap-magazin.com/archi...system-bindung
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-19-2010, 8:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pprill View Post
for every one how understans german, they already tested the new system incl. a short video.
so curt are not the only one ride the new system already...

http://www.the-gap-magazin.com/archi...system-bindung
don't know german, but google translate does

|
|
|
V
From time to time it happens, come the new ideas or concepts to market, arouse our attention. Such was the case with the first flex boards, the Closed Toe Bindings, the grind baseboards or in this case now, with the new Hyperlite binding system.

[picture]

In principle it makes sense to have to look to what other board sports such as snowboarding, skateboarding, or the mother of all board sports, surfing, to transfer the best ideas on the wakeboard. So it is not surprising that one of the producers got the idea to take on the binding systems of snowboarding. Apparently, of course, offer advantages as are installed in the boot no longer hard parts, they should sit comfortably, his feet stay nice and warm on cold days and enter the rattles in the bond should also work faster. Besides, this is to run back to the system quite a bit more pleasant, especially if the road with gravel or sharp stones sown.

For all those who have more than one board, so maybe have a second flex board for jibbing, which can save you now, the unscrewing of the bond if they mounted a second ratchet binding on the other board. The latter is of course a price to be asked and what you hear rumors like the price will stabilize at about 120 € here for the Hyper Lite ratchet binding system and around the 300 to 400 € for the boot.

As with anything in life there is also a flip side! Does it really swim with the boots? Who wants to wear boots with a summer sport like wakeboarding, where the lifestyle is still more influenced by flip flops? How stable is such a system in the event of a fall will be? And most important, how does it look? So style correctly?

We were allowed to test one of the first system, the Hyperlite binding system and try to answer the questions! Unfortunately, we could go no obstacles, since the 2011 board after more than Sample's should serve the dealers, so we press one of the presumed benefits to us, the freedom of movement while trying not able. We tested the binding of JD Webb boots on a 2011er Nick Davies Pro model. To select boots that are 3 later in the stiffness of all a little different and we had already presented in the Hyperlite Design Preview.

Since the day we only had about 8 ° C, at first I was thrilled that I now probably do not get cold feet. In practice, the boots not think they are warmer than a closed toe binding. If both are wet, it is also cool in boots, you just have to just take off not only at running back. What immediately surprised at the first start was the heel and toe lift, since it does not exist! That really surprised because I tested the boots were even a little too big and I still had a very good feeling.

[picture]

The feedback is incredibly good, you stand on the board and felt a little more control. This can also be deceived as I did not installed it on my own board had, but on the 2011er Nick Davies Pro model, which is delivered for my taste with relatively large fins and drives like nailed to the water. Nevertheless, I found the combination but very appealing! If you expect when processing right now snowboard boots will be disappointed. In principle, Closed Toe bonds were provided with a shoe sole, instead of a base plate. That there are cheaper and better in snowboarding, is summarized in the bar of the ratchet binding combine but unfortunately because it serves as a lock and prevents the Steifel moves on the board.

The Währe also present in snowboarding a good idea! The ratchet binding, which incidentally was still a prototype, but made a good impression. Snowboard Typically I would say. Beforehand I was not sure what to make of this system, but I am convinced in retrospect that there is another alternative will be Closed and Open Toe ties with. It's like anywhere, there will be people who swear by it and give it what we hate it. The same but there are also flex boards, cars and women ...

Bottom Line: Everyone should just test the system once and then decide for himself whether he finds it good or bad! There is nothing worse than talking something bad, without having tried it once before. By the function it has convinced me of the style, unfortunately, not yet.

Also a pity that the idea was not thought to its logical conclusion! Instead of modifying a wakeboard binding, one would still prefer to copy a snowboard boot. It bothered me for example, that every time I start on the tapes of the boot - is indeed a normal quasi-bound - had among the chattering. If even boots, but then so that everything is neatly stowed away. If the tightening take a little longer, no matter! Finally, I have indeed put together this only once.

To give you all think a little better in action, it has Mike Ruttkowski, Hyperlite team rider, not suitable for our review can take to cut a video!
Old     (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-04-2011, 9:46 AM Reply   
Hyperlite is officially shipping their new 2011 boots and bindings. These showed up today. Here are a few more pictures. Check em at your local shop.

Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       01-07-2011, 4:07 AM Reply   
The Hyperlite System Boots are where its at. These things are great. Ive ridden a lot of boots in the past and nothing compares to these. The price is still comparable to other high end boots in the market. No heel/toe lift what so ever. Easy in and out. Very supportive and at the same time suprisingly flexible. I dont think theres a lot of other boots that can compete with these this year. JM2C
Old     (dizzlestoy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-07-2011, 1:13 PM Reply   
no more walking to the truck on wet flip flops?
Old     (wakeasaurousrex)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-07-2011, 1:55 PM Reply   
I was able to try on a pair of JD's new system model last year at spring ride. I haven't rode them yet but I have to say they were REALLY comfortable, I love good flex in a boot and obviously since I wasn't locked into the binding, The range of motion was incredible, while still feeling great ankle support. I am not sure I would be rocking the boots all day in the boat but I do think that this new binding system will provide the right blend of flex and support while cutting down the weight of my 2010 boots. I plan on getting a pair soon so I will post pics and more info soon as I can get out with them.

I also heard that there are custom mounting options for the strata track, does anyone know if this is true?
Old     (Clayton_Underwood_HL_Legion)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-07-2011, 4:17 PM Reply   
Hey everyon this is Clayton Underwood from the Hyperlite Legion Team. This is my 4th season on the Legion Team and have riden many styles of bindings for both wake and snow. Before I got serious into wakeboarding I worked at a ski resort on park staff, instructed, and travel for competitions. Im glad to see a great deal of discussion on the new System Bindings because it shows that there is much interest this new technology.

Yes this does look like something copied off a snowboard binding design ( straps, high backs, boot being separate from binding ) but this similar concept was simply used as a reference and a whole new design taylored and focused specifically for wakeboarding was drawn up. So yes, it does look similar to a snowboard binding but with slightly different features (lower high backs, strap design, flex here and flex there)

Yes this can be mounted on a Strata System board. If you look in the photo above you will notice that there are 4 slots for bolts on the base of the binding, 2 of which are for the Strata System.

I have used the new system and love them. From a performance standpoint these bindings are great. Having the boot separate from the binding and having it strapped in similar to a snowboard binding increased performance and comfort a great deal. In the normal binding everyone would tighten up the laces/straps to create the support needed when riding. This new system allows you to first tighten the laces on the boots for comfort / fitting and then the straps on the actual binding up create/adjust the support wanted, just like on a snowboard. This way of mounting the boot to the bidning gives you so much more control and response over the board.

Just like snowboarding, your boots also provide a great deal of support, but it is up to you to decide how much support you want out of your boot. The Marek, Murray, and Kobalt (JD Webb) boot all have a different stiffness to them to accomidate different riders and their styles.

Someone earlier on in the this thread mentioned how the high backs flex and if so what's the point? When you look at most snowboard binding high backs they do flex or twist to some degree, some are designed to do so more than others. And like I said before this is an entirely new system designed entirely for wakeboarding. Ya its going to look and feel different than what everyone is used to in snowboard bindings, but then again the style of riding is different when comparing snow and wake. Some of the poked out grabs and tweaked out grinds that you see in wakeboarding wouldn't be possible if bindings, new or old, sere super stiff. The physics of snowboarding and wakeboarding are not exactly the same, so why should the design of the bindings be "exactly" the same.

From a money stand point the new System is going to come in handy. Lets face it, no matter what company you rock, bindings wear out, get soft, tear, or break. It happens to everyone, snow or wake. In snowboarding the wear part of your setup is going to be your boots (aside from rails and rockstearing up your board). When your boots wear out you only have to buy boots and you go on using the same bindings (in most cases). This same concept can no be applied to wakeboarding. To obtain this whole system you will paid just about the same amount as any other high end boot. With this system the majority of the wear is going to happen to the boot, on traditional boots the whole binding takes the abuse. When that time does come (not anytime soon) you will be looking at dropping $290 - $300 AT THE MOST (see above photo) on new boots where as your would have to spend about $400 on the traditional boots. And as time goes on you will be able to get boots even cheaper due to older models of the System boot being available.

Like I said before the control and responce from this new System in insane. Never have I felt this much control on the water as I do on the snow, especially on rails.

Spring is coming up soon in a few months, I can undertand there being some doubts and questions with this being brand new to wake but before you denounce this idea entirely, go out and ride one!
Also when was the last time anyone saw "step-in" binding out on the slopes? exactly. This is the new future.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-10-2011, 2:11 PM Reply   
i rode the new system for the second time yesterday.

I rode the new system last august at the Nevada WOW cable park and my review after that day is in an earlier post in this thread. At WOW i rode the Murray boot.

This time (yesterday) i rode the Marek boots with the boa. It was a bit chilly (45 water temp, 46 air) so the bindings were expectantly a little stiff. However, the binding system as a whole still allowed me to poke out and flex more than expected. I was still able to grab the board with ease, like riding an older, broken in set of boots. I am looking forward to breaking these in, and riding them in warm conditions.

Winter riding is always different from summer riding because of the drysuit thing. it always takes more time to get ready, and you are wearing more stuff when riding. It was nice to put on the dry boots in the boat, then strap on the board on the deck and save that initial "wet/cold moment" till the last second.

Riding them felt good. i felt closer to the board, which in turn feels like you have more control over the board and edging. It also gets you closer to the board for easier grabs. This combined with the systems attachment style meant for more flex for poking. The boots were attached firmly to the bindings. i did not feel any lift (heel/toe) or slippage of the boot in the binding. The straps stayed tight the whole set and did not need to be tightened.

The marek boot's boa system was the best boa system i have ever used on a wake boot. It tightened and loosened perfectly, and the support on my foot was even and comfortable. I was able to get the boots comfortably tight without wrenching down with max effort on the boa. the top laces tightened and did not loosen during riding.

There are no sharp edges or points on the boots. I felt comfortable wearing them on the boat without risking getting the seats or cusions ripped or punctured.

All in all i give them a 4.5 out of 5, and they seem like they will get a 5 out of 5 from me once they are broken in and I am riding in warmer conditions.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-10-2011, 5:35 PM Reply   
Diggin all the reviews and pics and stuff. super thanks!
its very helpful to get in depth descriptions like this for people like myself who have little to no opportunities to try new gear let alone seeing it with their own eyes without driving considerable distances.

one thing that has yet to be covered (unless i missed it) is the RELEASE.

Sure some prefer to stay in than come out, but the same can be said in reverse. will these appeal to both styles?

i imagine that any release in a hard crash would be foot out of boot and not a release of the boot w/ foot from the binding? will the "flex" of the binding be helpful in a crash or just for pokes and other movement?

The only things i can think of that might help in release, based on what i have read so far and experienced with other boots is to:
1. lace them up loose/ crank them down loose
AND/OR
2. wear (neoprene) socks to add more squish and less grip. Personally I wear thick neo socks in my slingshot boots (sized a bit big to make room for the socks) and it makes things nice in more ways than one. some people thought the Slingy boots were not the most friendly for release, but i had no problem.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-16-2011, 8:37 AM Reply   
I tried them on at the boat show, seemed pretty cool, however my hesitaion will come from how they hold up to a few months of hard riding and how many times you came out of them and cant get them right back on it the water, if by August the feedback and reviews clear all this up i may buy apair. I think the best part of this concept is for the Cable parks, makes it so much easier making the walk of shame for sure.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-16-2011, 8:38 AM Reply   
btw do these bolt to any board manufacturers board or did HL make it fit only HL boards? that will be a major player in my decsion as i have my favorite board and its not HL.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-16-2011, 8:50 AM Reply   
Since HL has basically the same bolt system as 90% of the boards the answer would be yes
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-02-2011, 12:57 AM Reply   
Reviews seem pretty good.

I saw these bindings at the local shop during the week. They have a limited selection so only had a Kobalt in my size for me to try. Im going to go and ponder whether i replace my CWB Answers but im seriously considering it. If im keen ill take them for a demo and go from there.

The Kobalt fitted nice, however the base of the binding felt pretty flimsy and quite thin. The main thing however is how light the bindings are. Compared to my cwb's they are very light, and because the boot isnt stiffened to provide support, they are as easy to get into as my cwb's as well. Compared to my Ride snow bindings, these felt cheap and the connector was difficult to get the binding to release. This may be because they are new, however this could do with some work.

I may try and see whether i can demo a Marek and then go from there. The boa system looks good, however i have visions of the wire breaking which doesnt inspire confidence.