Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (BennMarine)      Join Date: May 2019 Location: Maine       07-14-2020, 4:04 PM Reply   
Working on putting together a budget that so I can start planning for when I can afford about and trying to remember how much I used to spend on gas 10 years ago... it would probably be for full days on the lake. Curious how much gas everyone goes through on average?
Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-16-2020, 1:38 AM Reply   
I can burn 30-40 gallons in day if we have a lot of riders 1-2 wake board sets, 10-15 surf sets 3800 in ballast
Old     (sse01)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-16-2020, 3:55 AM Reply   
We average just under 4 gallons per hour over the life of the boat (includes surfing, skiing, boarding, & cruising).

Last edited by sse01; 07-16-2020 at 3:56 AM. Reason: (clarrification)
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-16-2020, 5:29 AM Reply   
depends on boats crew etc etc. We burn 100 gallons on a long weekend. so an average 800 bucks a month over june july august if we are heavy on the boat, Usually a tank a week average. so 4 bucks a gallon. about 200 ish a week. if surfing, we burn a tan a day. We have little ones and tube a lot, especially if its ruff out, so thats prob not as bad a surfing.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-18-2020, 5:00 AM Reply   
Fuel burn depends a LOT on the size boat you get and which engine it has.... the amount of ballast you run.... which activities you do the most, etc. Also if surfing, the difference between listing the boat and using a suck-gate makes a difference since a suck-gate is creating resistance to crab the boat and on average you will be running the rpm's 400-500 higher using a suckgate vs listing. With newer boats, a Malibu with surfgate and wedge will burn more while surfing than a boat with tabs that deploy downward like Centurion or Supra. Since the overall AVERAGE is probably somewhere between 5-10 gallons per hour, if you used 7.5 GPH to create your budget you would likely be safe.
Another thing to consider is gas prices are low right now.... but could easily double in a year or 2 so that makes calculating a fuel budget harder. Another big cost difference is whether you will buy all your gas on the water at marina's....or if you will trailer and fill it up that way since that alone can be a difference of anywhere between $1.50-$2.50 per gallon. You also gotta figure in maintainance costs (which if using a dealer for everything can get expensive).... trailer or boat lift up-keep, insurance, buying boards, ropes, life jackets, etc.
Its not a cheap hobby anyway you go into it. For me its the best family bonding time ever and its also the way I decompress from work stress so I dont hardly think about the costs. For someone who is good at DIY maintainance, trailers the boat and has a place to store it at home, the cost can be half of someone with the same boat who has the dealer do all the work, gets fuel at marina's, pays for storage, etc
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-12-2020, 3:45 AM Reply   
I find it better not to put a dollar cost on these things. It's not going to make you feel good and it keeps me from admitting my expensive habit to my wife.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-16-2020, 5:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
I find it better not to put a dollar cost on these things. It's not going to make you feel good and it keeps me from admitting my expensive habit to my wife.
this.

Kinda like price per pound of deer meat I'll put in the freezer this year. I'm certain 28 day aged Wagyu beef is cheaper.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-18-2020, 6:26 PM Reply   
Cruising I get about 4 MPG but I've got a fairly light boat. Surfing is a whole different story. Make your best guess, double it, give that number to the wife as your best guess. Then when you are WAY low you can at least say you tried and you'll only be off by a factor two or three.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-19-2020, 2:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyart View Post
Cruising I get about 4 MPG but I've got a fairly light boat. Surfing is a whole different story. Make your best guess, double it, give that number to the wife as your best guess. Then when you are WAY low you can at least say you tried and you'll only be off by a factor two or three.
Your formula is wrong. You do not double you half it and pay with cash every other trip.