Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-17-2015, 11:49 PM Reply   
Also I rode today in Oklahoma City, had to test it out, never wakeboarder in Jan before.
89 Supra Sunsport extremely clean and recently rebuilt

Now February is the ONLY month I have never wakeboarder in.
And this is all midwest (KS, IL, MO....) no going south....

Here's a few pics of the boat:
http://photobucket.com/user/aprilbratt/slideshow/Boat

Now anybody know how to weight this boat to get the best out of the wake?
There is 1300lbs pre-plumbed in the floor/lockers but I know I will need more.
Current prop is 16 x 13 I think, anyone have any experience should I prop it down?

Had to share the stoke, I just got it home... on about hour 23 no sleep, spent 11 hrs in the truck today Kansas City to OKC and back, plus 5hrs at the seller (including lake test / riding)

Having a beer and unwinding, glad to finally be in the boat owners club.
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       01-18-2015, 4:54 AM Reply   
Congrats man! Boat looks super clean

After a year or two we figured out on my dd launch to fill the rear hard tank (4-500lbs I think), put a 750 in the rear locker and fill it as much as we could without pushing the hatch up(another 4-500), then put another 750 between the motor and rear seat on the floor and fill it all the way depending on how many people were in the boat, and then put the fly high axis bow bag up front under the seats(950lbs), fit perfectly on my, boat still planed out pretty quickly and the wake was excellent! Also won't hurt to have a fly high fat brick to move around as the awake gets a little touchy when weighted heavily.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-18-2015, 10:18 AM Reply   
Shawn, you on Jackson Lake in GA with a DD Launch? I'm pretty sure I came out to ride with you once a couple years ago when I lived in GA

Would have been back in like Aug 2011. I lived over in Newnan from June-Dec 2011, then changes jobs and moved back to KC.

Anyway if that is you... Riding your Launch that day was what made me start looking to Supra's and specifically the older Launch/Sunsports as a good economical first boat. We got you to stick either your first tantrum or bankroll that day if I remember right?

Thanks for the input on ballast and good to know you're still rocking the same boat.
-dy
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-18-2015, 10:23 AM Reply   
Just checked your profile pic if that's your boat it looks like you definitely got it dialed pretty well and going big.

I'm almost 100% my Sunsport would be the same basic hull as your Launch but there could have been some minor changes over the 10yrs or so between models. I'm hoping I can get my wake to look like yours I'd be very happy with that for what I paid.

Got two buddies with brand new Tige Z3s and I'll still ride with them a ton so when I need to boost it out I'll ride their wakes.
This one is the family boat.
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       01-18-2015, 3:51 PM Reply   
haha ya man thats me (it was a tantrum that day), thought i recognized your name. good to see your still riding, that pic is from my supra but i ended up selling it last year. wish i wouldnt have, that boat was so "practical" and reliable but ended up with an a22 so its all good!
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       01-18-2015, 7:28 PM Reply   
Congrats on the purchase man. I can't think of any other better ways to spend my time in the sunny weather than to be on a boat!
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-18-2015, 8:38 PM Reply   
Shawn, where was the factory hard tank in the DD Launch. Under the rear seats?
You were running at total of 2500-2700 lbs then?

How did it get out of the hole? Remind me again what year yours was and what engine (and hp rating) it would have had?
Seems like it will take a lot of weight to sink this hull?

My biggest concern is how the engine will perform. On the 89 the PCM 351 only had 265 or so hp. Definitely thinking new prop.
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       01-19-2015, 4:19 AM Reply   
Mine was a 99, I believe it was 310hp? Definitely didn't like having that much weight plus people, I'd say fully sacked out it was limited to 4 people but I was on a stock prop and the motor had 1200 hours so it probably wasn't still making factory hp. If your gonna run anywhere near that much weight I'd definitely say new prop. The hard tank was basically the rear seat base, the seat cushion was bolted to the tank.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-19-2015, 10:10 AM Reply   
Sweet! I love older Supras. I have a 91 and have a 1,000 pound sac under the playpen, a 440 in the rear ski locker, and we usually have at least 4-5 people in the boat, so it throws a really good wake. You should check out the Supra forums, if you haven't already http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/forum.php?
Old     (jtryon)      Join Date: Jan 2015       01-19-2015, 10:21 AM Reply   
i have an '88 sunsport and usually run 800's on either side of the motor, 650 up front in the bow. puts out a great wake but you will need to re-prop to run that much weight. i went with an acme 913, which is a 10.5 pitch prop and it handles it well. if i have more than 3-4 people in the boat, i will typically just run 650's on both sides of the motor and the 650 up front.

for surfing, 650 front (otherwise the wave won't be long at all), and load the surf side up. i've had an 800 with a 650 on top of it on the surf side before and the surf wake is great. this of course is until you decide to research a ghetto-gate so that you won't have to list as much anymore...but i'll wait to give advice on that one for now
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-19-2015, 2:21 PM Reply   
Congrats on the boat Dustin... maybe I'll see you out on Smithville a time or two.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-19-2015, 3:29 PM Reply   
Thanks Mike, we definitely gotta do better about hooking up and riding this year....
I would like to get together early season if nothing else to get familiarized with Smithville. Only time I've been on that lake is that morning you and I went out to ride before work. Need to know where the hazards, shallow spots, rocks, trees rocks, etc.... are.

I see there is a separate thread for a KC area meetup group also, so that's cool.

I still have your number I'll get in touch with you this spring.

Thanks,
-dy
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-19-2015, 3:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
Thanks Mike, we definitely gotta do better about hooking up and riding this year....
I would like to get together early season if nothing else to get familiarized with Smithville. Only time I've been on that lake is that morning you and I went out to ride before work. Need to know where the hazards, shallow spots, rocks, trees rocks, etc.... are.

I see there is a separate thread for a KC area meetup group also, so that's cool.

I still have your number I'll get in touch with you this spring.

Thanks,
-dy
Definitely man. I surf more than I board (as is evidence by my weak ass outing when we went lol). But yeah, I can definitely show you where the hazards are and where to ride when the wind is blowing certain ways. Basically, you just want to keep your distance from all the points, and mind the buoys that are marked. Other than that, you have to watch for trees deep in the coves, but it's a pretty deep lake and not much for hazards in most of the main parts of the water. I'm happy to roll around with you though and point some things out.

If you're up there often this year, come hang out up north of the W bridge. That's where we all raft up and enjoy a beer and the sun during the busy hours of the day.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-19-2015, 5:27 PM Reply   
I am pretty sure I know that supra. did the previous owner replace all the stringers. if so I remember a great write up he had over on the supra owners forum. I pulled his son when he was little.

looks great and enjoy!
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-19-2015, 6:07 PM Reply   
insuranceman

Yes this is Okie Boarder's (of Supra owners forum fame) boat.
He did a very nice stringer/floor rebuild and a bunch of other custom stuff too.

This is about the only boat this old that I was comfortable looking into. He definitely built/restored it right.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-19-2015, 6:25 PM Reply   
I knew him when he lived here in the Tulsa area and we both went to Skiatook lake. he used to have a old bayliner that got tboned on the way home from the lake by a woman who ran a stop sign.

glad to see you are going to get good use out of it. looks to have many years left!!!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       01-20-2015, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
insuranceman

Yes this is Okie Boarder's (of Supra owners forum fame) boat.
He did a very nice stringer/floor rebuild and a bunch of other custom stuff too.

This is about the only boat this old that I was comfortable looking into. He definitely built/restored it right.
Okie boarder is a great guy. Glad to see it's in good hands. I don't go around the supra forums much any more since I sold my Sunsport (the Stormtrooper) and moved on to my Moomba XLV. But they're a good group of people there and most of them are a lot of help. Seems that all the talk over there is about restoring old boats, so that's some of the reason I don't spend too much time there anymore. But you'll fit right in with your classic sunsport!
Old     (revolutionwake)      Join Date: Sep 2014       01-20-2015, 4:15 PM Reply   
Beauty, congrats man!